I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 2: Love Takes Time

This album was released in a standard (1LP) and extended (2LP) edition. The standard LP includes a 3 bonus tracks after a locked groove.

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard ~ The Silver Cord (baby capybara edition)

IMG_7690.jpeg

A last-minute addition to the album. So last minute that it wasn’t listed on some early pressings. play an album with a hidden or bonus track

PXL_20240602_231745681~2.jpg

Songs for the Deaf: 3 secret tracks: "The Real Song for the Deaf" appears when you rewind track 1 until -1:35. After "Song For the Deaf" (track 13) there's the 2nd secret track, "Feel Good Haha of the Summer," which starts at 5:45. This is followed by a fourteenth track titled "Mosquito Song" (it is actually listed as a "secret song" on the album's track listing).

A last-minute addition to the album. So last minute that it wasn’t listed on some early pressings. play an album with a hidden or bonus track

The bonus tracks on the Coda reissue are well worth it for any fan.

IMG_8275.JPG

Day 3: Someday
a song Mariah has since somewhat disavowed because she feels it was overproduced. play a record you feel is overproduced

One Wall Of Sound plus another Wall Of Sound doesn't necessarily equal a better Wall Of Sound...

Peaked at #44 on the US charts.

The Ramones - End Of The Century

IMG_5523.jpeg

Play a record you feel is overproduced

Not trying to copy Uncle D, but this is the album I think about when I think of an overproduced album.

So much so that I really can't play the original release and like this version much, much better. End Of The Century is my #2.

(my UK Export Copy of the original does sound really good for what it is, though.)

The Beatles – Let It Be... Naked
Parlophone – 07243 595438 0 2, 2003/?

Cut by Sean Magee at Abbey Road
Pressed at Record Industry

NPsR9QF.jpg

GXsTqad.jpg

a song Mariah has since somewhat disavowed because she feels it was overproduced. play a record you feel is overproduced

While I think its a stronger effort than the last few albums and its really growing on me - especially with Matt Cameron letting loose and Mike McCready getting some quality solos/leads, this album definitely feels overproduced with compressed drums and vocals. The live versions I've heard on the bootlegs sound great.

Pearl Jam ~ Dark Matter

IMG_7737.jpeg

Ok, so I don't really know what "overproduced" means. After searching the Google, I found the "top 20" overproduced rock albums. I like pretty much all of them, and never crossed my mind that they could be any different (I don't have any of these on vinyl either). I searched wikipedia, and that definition basically says pretty much any rock album is overproduced, i.e. use of reverb, backing vocals, etc. So the next link in the google search was from a forum and some one said Townes Van Zandt was overproduced, and there were some agreements in the forum.
1717432091259.png
So somebody thinks this is overproduced. I haven't spun TVZ in a while, so here goes.

PXL_20240603_163246658.jpg

Ok, so I don't really know what "overproduced" means. After searching the Google, I found the "top 20" overproduced rock albums. I like pretty much all of them, and never crossed my mind that they could be any different (I don't have any of these on vinyl either). I searched wikipedia, and that definition basically says pretty much any rock album is overproduced, i.e. use of reverb, backing vocals, etc. So the next link in the google search was from a forum and some one said Townes Van Zandt was overproduced, and there were some agreements in the forum.
View attachment 204787
So somebody thinks this is overproduced. I haven't spun TVZ in a while, so here goes.

View attachment 204790

I definitely think studio Townes is overproduced. That said, it doesn't stop me from owning or listening to it.

Now that I am listening for it, there are a lot of backing vocals that could have been excluded and still make a great song. And to be a bit ironic about it, "For The Sake Of The Song" TVZ could have dialed it back a bit. :LOL:

Yeah, Townes basically ran into the same issues as pre-Shotgun Willie in that the songs he was writing were incredible but the production choices that accompanied the studio albums were often questionable.

Super Furry Animals - Guerrilla

On the CD version, the track "Citizen's Band" was hidden in the pregap before the first track. On the vinyl, it's at the end of side A, but you have to pick up the needle and drop it on the outside of the groove and it plays its way inwards, which kind of messes with my brain to look at while it's playing!

20230903_145044-jpg.181468

Back