I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 3: Someday

Image 2.jpeg

That quote of her feeling that “Someday” was overproduced comes from the liner notes of her #1 to Infinity compilation, where she’d chose to include the (imo) inferior MTV Unplugged performance rather than the original studio version.

This was also Mariah’s first single to be released on CD in the US & her first maxi-single featuring a few remixes which I would say are overproduced, even though I still like them. My favourite is the Pianoapercaloopapella remix, which sounds like it’s trying to split the difference between acapella singing & house music.

Here’s a double-page ad from Billboard the week of November 24th, 1990, promoting the single:

Image 2024-06-02 at 1.28 AM.jpeg

Anyway, here’s my pick for today…

Dead or Alive - “You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)

IMG_8606.jpeg

80s synth-pop/hi-NRG music is overproduced in all the best ways.

Day 3
IMG_8073.jpeg
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Into the Great Wide Open

Jeff Lynne is a heavy handed producer. I know this is a bit of a hot take, but this, Full Moon Fever, Travelling Wilburies, Harrison’s Cloud Nine & Orbison’s Mystery Girl all sound like they were made by the same band (as do the two Beatles songs made for Anthology). Add an orchestra and they would all sound like ELO.

Mind you, these are all great albums.

Last edited:
Day 4: I Don’t Wanna Cry
another #1 from that first album Mariah isn't too fond of, this time because of conflicts with the song's producer Narada Michael Walden during recording. play a record beset by production troubles.

Steve Brown produced this album and it was scrapped and turned over to Rick Rubin who created a totally different record...

What can Brown do for you?

In my opinion, more than Rick.

The Cult - Electric

IMG_5531.jpeg

Probably a bit overproduced but also It’s way better than it’s reputation would lead you to believe. “Teenage FBI” is a jam.

Oh yeah, I don't think it's a bad album, it's just way more polished than your usual GBV fare.

Overproduced is a relative term.

Me dragging an electric guitar down a gravel road behind a tractor would be considered overproduced compared to those first GBV records.

At the same time, they can do wrong in my house. It all works. I absolutely love the entirety of Mag Earwhig! and that is arguably the most "produced" GBV record out there.

Sometimes a great band is just a great band. No outside interference can diminish them.

Some MTV GBV...

Last edited:
another #1 from that first album Mariah isn't too fond of, this time because of conflicts with the song's producer Narada Michael Walden during recording. play a record beset by production troubles.

There was certainly a lot of conflicts during the making of this album. Not to mention a number of different releases/mixes put out over the years, a few of which are represented in this box set.

Beatles ~ Let it Be

IMG_7746.jpeg

Image 3.jpeg

Of the 4 #1 hits from Mariah’s debut album, this is definitely the… least of them. The least big, the least performed by Mariah in concert and the least great (an 8/10 compared to the 9s her last 3 singles were).

Here’s an ad from Radio & Records the week it was released to radio (I should really mark the dates down so I remember exactly when they’re from):

Image 2024-06-02 at 7.15 PM.jpeg

Anyway, here’s my pick for today…

David Bowie - David Live

IMG_8608.jpeg

The tour itself had its own laundry list of problems (set pieces malfunctioning and David’s growing coke addiction being among them) and the album recorded during wasn’t exempt from that.

The band didn’t learn that they were recording until a few hours before the show and threatened to walk out until they were each paid $5k rather than the standard live recording fee. Some of the backing vocals and sax parts were off-mike so they then had to be overdubbed in the studio.

a song Mariah has since somewhat disavowed because she feels it was overproduced. play a record you feel is overproduced.

The Tragically Hip “World Container” (2006 Universal; 2017 reissue)
The producer (Bob Rock) went for an arena rock sound on this one. The record is still pretty good, and the Hip never sold out, some good songs, but it’s not quite what The Hip should sound like.

IMG_1399.JPG

Depeche Mode "Ultra" (1997 Mute; 2017 reissue)
Released in the wake of the departure of Alan Wilder, and Dave Gahan's troubles with addiction and near death to overdose.

IMG_1400.JPG

Day 4
IMG_8112.jpeg
Def Leppard - Hysteria

It’s a miracle this thing was even made. Lange was like I can’t anymore. The drummer lost his arm. Then they got it back together and hired the dude from Meatloaf and Air Supply to help them make the greatest pop album ever and he was like naw you guys need to rock. So they split ways. Then Def Leppard tried to produce it. Then Lange came back. So four years after they hit it big, they released this behemoth.

a song Mariah has since somewhat disavowed because she feels it was overproduced. play a record you feel is overproduced

Pavement - Terror Twilight

Malkmus considers this one "overproduced," and I guess it's like GBV in that it's definitely overproduced for Pavement, but the end result is still pretty really enjoyable.

1000149888.jpg

Last edited:
a song Mariah has since somewhat disavowed because she feels it was overproduced. play a record you feel is overproduced

I had to think about this one for a while, because I don't use the term overproduced very often. I also usually gravitate towards the opposite end of that production spectrum. But this album could certainly get that label from Steven Wilson fans who hadn't explored many of his side projects. That said, it's exactly what he was going for and I think it's brilliant use of heavy production.

IMG20240605112515.jpg

Day 5: Emotions
the titular first single from Mariah’s 2nd album and her 5th #1 hit in a row, making her the only artist to chart her first 5 hits at #1! play a record that avoided the “sophomore slump”

Building on playing their debut album for Day 1, this second release from Sylvan Esso built on everything laid out in the first one. Sharp and introspective lyrics and some really fantastic production/soundscapes that tie together the vocals and music.

Sylvan Esso ~ What Now

IMG_7760.jpeg

Day 5: Emotions
the titular first single from Mariah’s 2nd album and her 5th #1 hit in a row, making her the only artist to chart her first 5 hits at #1! play a record that avoided the “sophomore slump”

Pearl Jam "Vs." (1993 Epic; 2023 30th anniversary reissue)

IMG_1401.JPG

Day 2: Love Takes Time
A last-minute addition to the album. So last minute that it wasn’t listed on some early pressings. play an album with a hidden or bonus track

Nirvana - Nevermind
IMG_5030.jpeg

As a kid when I purchased Nevermind on CD I was bummed because my CD didn’t have the “Endless, Nameless” hidden track but my friend, Falen had it on her copy. I was happy it was included as a bonus 7” as part of the recent anniversary reissue.

Back