Jazz

Interestingly the Mingus said limited to 3,000 on the RSD site. But the album says 5,000 on the sleeve. Pretty surprised this one sold out everywhere. 5,000 is a lot for the price they were charging for it

I suspect they didn’t get the full allocation out to stores in time. They often have more copies come through in the week after RSD. I noticed other titles sold a lot quicker than normal.

Interestingly the Mingus said limited to 3,000 on the RSD site. But the album says 5,000 on the sleeve. Pretty surprised this one sold out everywhere. 5,000 is a lot for the price they were charging for it
Heard good things about it, my local only got 1 and I didn’t go nearly early enough. But the $80 sticker price also would’ve deterred me from buying. Think I’m going to just get the CD release as it doesn’t seem like it’s going to found be near the sticker price anytime soon!

cross post from restocks thread:

Ian Carr - Belladonna repressed

cross post from restocks thread:

Ian Carr - Belladonna repressed

Do I hear John Mac, Wayne shorter, Tony Williams, Keith, Herbie and Chick in this album?

Do I hear John Mac, Wayne shorter, Tony Williams, Keith, Herbie and Chick in this album?
Ian Carr is somewhat of a national treasure in the UK jazz scene, he was so forward-thinking.

In the 60's he basically decided he wanted to make progressive music and started down the avant-garde route before honing in on jazz-rock. Now, it's worth mentioning that this was before even Miles Davis went down that route so he really was a pioneer. When he recorded with Nucleus in the late 60's he had already been playing that kind of music on the club scene for a while (he kind of left the Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet to pursue it full time). My take is that the only reason he isn't more known as one of the founders of jazz-rock is because Miles Davis performed his electric jazz-rock at the Newport Jazz Festival a year before Nucleus had the opportunity (they won first prize when they did though!).

Anyway, sorry for the waffle, I just really love his music. If you like Belladonna, check out the Nucleus stuff either side of it. For all intents and purposes its a Nucleus album but Carr was changing the line-up and they released it under his name only.

Ian Carr is somewhat of a national treasure in the UK jazz scene, he was so forward-thinking.

In the 60's he basically decided he wanted to make progressive music and started down the avant-garde route before honing in on jazz-rock. Now, it's worth mentioning that this was before even Miles Davis went down that route so he really was a pioneer. When he recorded with Nucleus in the late 60's he had already been playing that kind of music on the club scene for a while (he kind of left the Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet to pursue it full time). My take is that the only reason he isn't more known as one of the founders of jazz-rock is because Miles Davis performed his electric jazz-rock at the Newport Jazz Festival a year before Nucleus had the opportunity (they won first prize when they did though!).

Anyway, sorry for the waffle, I just really love his music. If you like Belladonna, check out the Nucleus stuff either side of it. For all intents and purposes its a Nucleus album but Carr was changing the line-up and they released it under his name only.
And for those interested, a bunch of those Nucleus albums are being repressed/reissued soon. Forced Exposure has them in the US for preorder

Turns out I way overpaid bc I really own pieces of a record once touched by Johnny Fever. This is actually good news bc the condition of the vinyl itself isn’t close to what was claimed, and I’d have a more complex problem to deal with if it didn’t arrive shattered.
EDIT: seller issued a refund immediately.
View attachment 133693
Hopefully this will be my last post about Mal Waldron “The Quest” bc my quest to find a good copy has ended. After Howard Hesseman’s copy fell through (arrived shattered and incorrectly graded to begin with), I acquired a reasonably priced (by current standards) copy of the 1983 OJC pressing, which is in great shape and sounds really fantastic.

I love this album, and my main takeaway from this vinyl copy is that Charlie Persip is an underrated drummer. Pricing of good quality copies of OJC’s The Quest has gone a little crazy on eBay, but there are two good copies for sale right now.

I actually bought mine from Japan, and split the cost of shipping w/ a 1979 King mono press of Sonny’s Crib w/ mint vinyl, which also sounds great.

Last edited:
Not sure how nobody said anything about this album (per search function at least).

Musical journeys represent a sense of duality, with the music defining a moment in time and also music being influenced by moments in time. Isaiah Collier & The Chosen Few fully explore moments of the past, present, and yes the future. Cosmic Transitions, is a Five-part suite, that addresses interpersonal relationships during a Retrograde period. The recording of this project took place on September 23rd, 2020 at Rudy Van Gelder's legendary studio where greats like John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter, Joe Henderson, and many other great musicians expressed what they felt in those moments. Isaiah Collier a brilliant talent from Chicago leads the way on Soprano and Tenor Saxophone, with the support of the other members Jeremiah Hunt, Michael Shewoaga Ode, and Mike King. A release filled with a wide range of human emotions and musical possibility. Cosmic Transitions was crafted with the full intention to awaken those who hear it. Each part of the Suite weaves into the next. Not for the faint of heart, the album sets out to be a timestamp for before and after. Enjoy the journey.

Seems sold out on Bandcamp but there a few slightly damaged copies for sale at Jazz Messengers in Spain.

Not sure how nobody said anything about this album (per search function at least).

Musical journeys represent a sense of duality, with the music defining a moment in time and also music being influenced by moments in time. Isaiah Collier & The Chosen Few fully explore moments of the past, present, and yes the future. Cosmic Transitions, is a Five-part suite, that addresses interpersonal relationships during a Retrograde period. The recording of this project took place on September 23rd, 2020 at Rudy Van Gelder's legendary studio where greats like John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter, Joe Henderson, and many other great musicians expressed what they felt in those moments. Isaiah Collier a brilliant talent from Chicago leads the way on Soprano and Tenor Saxophone, with the support of the other members Jeremiah Hunt, Michael Shewoaga Ode, and Mike King. A release filled with a wide range of human emotions and musical possibility. Cosmic Transitions was crafted with the full intention to awaken those who hear it. Each part of the Suite weaves into the next. Not for the faint of heart, the album sets out to be a timestamp for before and after. Enjoy the journey.

Seems sold out on Bandcamp but there a few slightly damaged copies for sale at Jazz Messengers in Spain.

I remember seeing this one talked about somewhere on here (or maybe it was another forum). Pretty cool album but I decided against buying the vinyl of it. I think it has already been repressed (or at least restocked) on bandcamp once. I remember there being a bad review of the vinyl pressing but could have been an isolated incident.

I remember seeing this one talked about somewhere on here (or maybe it was another forum). Pretty cool album but I decided against buying the vinyl of it. I think it has already been repressed (or at least restocked) on bandcamp once. I remember there being a bad review of the vinyl pressing but could have been an isolated incident.

Yep! First press was sold out and the second is now sold out too. I read this bad review as well but decided to give it a chance. What I am more concerned about is how they cut the tracks to fit each side. I'll see when I receive the album.

I'd be intrigued to see what you think of this. When it was first released a few of the bigger Instagram users posted about it and the music itself generally got glowing reviews from them. I couldn't find it accessibly at the time though so didn't pursue a copy.

Also, as this album reminded me (a bit) of Kamasi Washington, I discovered that he has a new song out "The Garden Path" with "his" band West Coast Get Down (Brandon Coleman, Cameron Graves, Ronald Bruner Jr., Miles Mosley and a few others). I hope we'll have a new album soon, it's been four years since Heaven & Earth.

I'd be intrigued to see what you think of this. When it was first released a few of the bigger Instagram users posted about it and the music itself generally got glowing reviews from them. I couldn't find it accessibly at the time though so didn't pursue a copy.

I'll give a proper listen but my first plays on Bandcamp are very positive, especially the last song.

Ha I just realized I have a Nucleus album in my iTunes library.

Yea I’m sure it also helped that Miles was already world famous and had the backing of Columbia.

I just chalk it down to the stew of ideas getting mixed together and multiple people connecting them around the same time.

Back