Jazz

Yeah, this is really good, I got it a few years ago when they released it , glad it's available again so more folks can grab a copy !
I spent a little over a year and a little over $100 Canadian dollars to get a copy of this, but it looks like Cosmic Myth has repressed their early titles to coincide with their release of the Jazz in Silhouette expanded edition...

This sweet trio set is a favourite of mine in the vast Sun Ra catalogue and is now available for $20 (USD) on Bandcamp or around £18 from Juno..

Impulse_3drender_16c8e28c-8507-404e-871f-f7cdfb0f4e08_600x.jpg

@MikeH @Selaws

The John Coltrane Quartet - Africa/Brass (1961)
The New Amazing Chico Hamilton Quintet – Passin' Thru (1963)
Lorez Alexandria – Alexandria The Great (1964)
Charles Mingus– Mingus Plays Piano: Spontaneous Compositions And Improvisations (1964)
Gabor Szabo – Jazz Raga (1967)
Mel Brown - Chicken Fat (1967)
Pharoah Sanders - Karma (1969)
Alice Coltrane - Ptah the El Daoud (1970)

That’s it ? Africa/Brass is sensational, but all the other albums have been rereleased recently or surely are not that great.
Charles Mingus– Mingus Plays Piano: Spontaneous Compositions And Improvisations (1964)

It's listed at $349 but it doesn't says if it's member or non-member price.

This seems neither aimed at a brand new Impulse listener nor an experienced collector of the label. With the best of the titles already out there individually, this set is a head scratcher.
It was supposed to come out three years ago and stuff kept happening so it kept getting delayed. 3 years ago this would have been shit your pants amazing, just for ptah and karma. Honestly ptah and karma reissues aren't that amazing now so if this goes better, might still be amazing.

It was supposed to come out three years ago and stuff kept happening so it kept getting delayed. 3 years ago this would have been shit your pants amazing, just for ptah and karma. Honestly ptah and karma reissues aren't that amazing now so if this goes better, might still be amazing.

Yeah, when somebody on Discord said the set of record picked was meh Storf replied that it has been the set for three years and he have seen some the records reissued by other companies. I don't know why it took too long for VMP to have this Anthology out.

Yeah, when somebody on Discord said the set of record picked was meh Storf replied that it has been the set for three years and he have seen some the records reissued by other companies. I don't know why it took too long for VMP to have this Anthology out.

I was still a member when they first started talking about the Impulse! Anthology. I was VERY interested then. If shipping, exchange and duties didn't skyrocket the set from expensive to insanely expensive I'd still be interested - I think it's a pretty great looking set. I picked up the two titles VBR scooped VMP on and while they can certainly be improved upon they'll prove adequate for me, given the costs.

To me the set breaks down as:
  • 4 PHENOMENAL titles
  • 2 GREAT titles
  • 2 FINE/GOOD titles

Listening to the VMP Shades of Blue this morning and thinking critically about what it is… I don’t want a tone poet. I love Kevin Gray and I love that reissue series but I don’t think he’s the right guy for this project. I think VMP made the right call here.

Which leads me to a further thought about the Impulse Anthology, I don’t think RKS is who I want doing those, which may be why the VBR series is lackluster beyond the qc issues.

Both of those guys are at least very good (yes I am biased towards Grey and Grundman) but they aren’t one size fits all, you know what I’m saying?

Listening to the VMP Shades of Blue this morning and thinking critically about what it is… I don’t want a tone poet. I love Kevin Gray and I love that reissue series but I don’t think he’s the right guy for this project. I think VMP made the right call here.

Which leads me to a further thought about the Impulse Anthology, I don’t think RKS is who I want doing those, which may be why the VBR series is lackluster beyond the qc issues.

Both of those guys are at least very good (yes I am biased towards Grey and Grundman) but they aren’t one size fits all, you know what I’m saying?
I like my BN Classics pressing, but I can see where it would be improved by someone who is better atuned to hip hop could do a better job mastering

I like my BN Classics pressing, but I can see where it would be improved by someone who is better atuned to hip hop could do a better job mastering
I probably would have gone for the classics otherwise and considered it. I’m really happy with the choice I made. But listening this morning got me to thinking about do I really want Gray to master everything? No I don’t.

I probably would have gone for the classics otherwise and considered it. I’m really happy with the choice I made. But listening this morning got me to thinking about do I really want Gray to master everything? No I don’t.
Fully agree. BoomBoom has his place.

This is definitely how I feel about RKS. I wish he was not VMPs house masterer because I think sometimes he brings too much clarity and separation to the albums he does. They sound great but sometimes you want them to sound dirty and punch you in the face.

Fully agree. BoomBoom has his place.

This is definitely how I feel about RKS. I wish he was not VMPs house masterer because I think sometimes he brings too much clarity and separation to the albums he does. They sound great but sometimes you want them to sound dirty and punch you in the face.
I don't keep up with the RHH track that closely but my understanding is that cicely is the preffered engineer for the RHH stuff; I've seen more than one passing reference to Queen Cicely on the discord

Back