Jazz

Bit of an odd one but the Pizza Express Jazz Club here in London now has their own record label.

Really great idea imo, the live jazz there is always fantastic.

The first 2 albums are available for pre-order, the Scott Hamilton Quartet and Mamas Gun. Im not actually familiar with either of these BUT the Scott Hamilton group includes Dave Green, who is a legendary bassist that played on the Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet's Lansdowne releases.

Are any of these worth a purchase?

Last edited:
Damn! I saw him a couple times in the 90s, including an incredible, very intimate duo show with PB and Hamid Drake. They were such a good pair. I was more into PB’s style then than I am now. (I’ll take Hamid Drake any day, then and now and everything in between)

Yea I saw him with Haino in the shows in LA. It was amazing. I was thrilled when Black Editions released a deluxe box with his art. I was bummed when his gig in Ojai (a small mountain hippie town outside of LA) was canceled by the pandemic.

I’m really interested in the backstory they plan to highlight. Seems like LB worked closely with Sanders and his estate. India Navigation was such an obscure label and an interesting idea, so hearing more about how this record came to be will be cool.
I think Marcus Moore wrote the liner notes. He's cool and I've enjoyed some of the stuff he has written in the past. Looking forward to that!

Damn! I saw him a couple times in the 90s, including an incredible, very intimate duo show with PB and Hamid Drake. They were such a good pair. I was more into PB’s style then than I am now. (I’ll take Hamid Drake any day, then and now and everything in between)

This video of a Hamid Drake solo improv is amazing. I think drunkenly sent it to a bunch of friends late one night when I discovered it.

Last edited:
Im cross posting this from Fresh Grabs as im sure a few of you will be interested:

Andy Hay – Children Of The Sun (Private Pressing, 2023 Limited First Pressing)

I had to take a photo of this one in isolation as its just so incredibly impressive. A while ago (maybe during lockdown) I saw a British jazz musician, Andy Hay, on Bandcamp that self-released a record with hand painted covers. I stupidly didnt give the music a listen and passed on it. The other day I saw Andy had posted another album on bandcamp and I was blown away by what I heard. I put the order in and a treasure trove of goodies turned up. In addition to the 2LP's it also includes a hand painted cover (each one is therefore different but fits the theme, an additional wall art painting, a booklet of 'liner notes' and comments from the group, and a personalised hand written message of thanks from Andy. THIS is a musician that clearly takes pride in his craft, WOW!!!

IMG_0532.JPG

Im cross posting this from Fresh Grabs as im sure a few of you will be interested:

Andy Hay – Children Of The Sun (Private Pressing, 2023 Limited First Pressing)

I had to take a photo of this one in isolation as its just so incredibly impressive. A while ago (maybe during lockdown) I saw a British jazz musician, Andy Hay, on Bandcamp that self-released a record with hand painted covers. I stupidly didnt give the music a listen and passed on it. The other day I saw Andy had posted another album on bandcamp and I was blown away by what I heard. I put the order in and a treasure trove of goodies turned up. In addition to the 2LP's it also includes a hand painted cover (each one is therefore different but fits the theme, an additional wall art painting, a booklet of 'liner notes' and comments from the group, and a personalised hand written message of thanks from Andy. THIS is a musician that clearly takes pride in his craft, WOW!!!

View attachment 177496

Sweet! And thanks to you/this post, I did a thing.....to the tune of two of his titles. They look like true works of art in many senses of the word. Thanks for the tip!

Back