Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

View attachment 196963

Current state of things with a couple of new toys :)

I picked up one of those Studiodeck Foundations when MD was blowing them out. It replaced a Technics SL-1500. I live in an older house with suspended wooden floors, and when turned up I always fight feedback and footfalls. I thought the delrin in the new table might help. Man has it ever. Much quieter, and zero feedback. With the Zazen platform it's just what I was hoping to hear. I think the Mofi sounds slightly better, although I really like the Technics too. I'm guessing the longer arm and the delrin platter are making a difference. I do prefer the longer arm.

I also replaced the amp. I was running a Yamaha A-S801. I had that a couple of years. At times, I put in an older pair of ELAC UB5s, and that Yamaha was really polite. I just put in a Arcam Radia A15 in it's place. More grunt, and deeper bass. I like both of the amps, but the Arcam really makes the ELACs sing. The Yamaha didn't. Perhaps the power supply is responsible. The amps are certainly voiced different. With the KLHs setup, the amp grabs the bass in a way the Yamaha didn't. Although I am going to miss the variable loudness on the Yamaha.

And yeah, I've been told the tree is staying lol. So, Merry Christmas to me!
My 1980s Quad pre-amp and amp just broke (still crossing fingers that it's an easy fix). If it's not, I'm wondering about just making it easy and getting an Arcam Radia A15 ie eliminating the pre-amp/phono stage. I'd appreciate any thoughts now you've had it a while. My turntable is a Clearaudio Concept, and I've got some Tannoy tower speakers. (You might sense from my imprecision on models that I'm not too bothered about specifics as long as it sounds good).

My 1980s Quad pre-amp and amp just broke (still crossing fingers that it's an easy fix). If it's not, I'm wondering about just making it easy and getting an Arcam Radia A15 ie eliminating the pre-amp/phono stage. I'd appreciate any thoughts now you've had it a while. My turntable is a Clearaudio Concept, and I've got some Tannoy tower speakers. (You might sense from my imprecision on models that I'm not too bothered about specifics as long as it sounds good).
Well I have an Arcam and I heard the Radia at an audio show last year hooked up to speakers that cost about 10 times the amount of the amp and it sounded spectacular, the amp definitely held it's own against ones that were multiple times their cost that were running in adjacent rooms. This was running digitally so I can't speak to the quality of the on board stage, but it definitely puts out a very nice sound.

I’ve put the new goodies onto my Dr. Feickert Blackbird. I got the newer Feickert platter with the inset brass slugs installed, along with the Audiomods Series 6 10.5” tonearm as the secondary (upper) arm. I have a rebuilt by VAS Zu/Denon DL-103 w/ a micro ridge stylus on the Audiomods. Main arm for now is a Jelco TK-850L with a Grado Timbre Reference3 low on it. I also added an Oyide record weight as the stock screw down clamp was driving me a bit nuts (it “stuck” to the spindle as the threading was a bit off), plus I think it looks cool. Case/dust over is an Audioshield. I’m thinking of getting the SBooster linear power supply for it next. And replacing the Jelco. And… and… and…

IMG_2299.jpeg

I’ve put the new goodies onto my Dr. Feickert Blackbird. I got the newer Feickert platter with the inset brass slugs installed, along with the Audiomods Series 6 10.5” tonearm as the secondary (upper) arm. I have a rebuilt by VAS Zu/Denon DL-103 w/ a micro ridge stylus on the Audiomods. Main arm for now is a Jelco TK-850L with a Grado Timbre Reference3 low on it. I also added an Oyide record weight as the stock screw down clamp was driving me a bit nuts (it “stuck” to the spindle as the threading was a bit off), plus I think it looks cool. Case/dust over is an Audioshield. I’m thinking of getting the SBooster linear power supply for it next. And replacing the Jelco. And… and… and…

View attachment 212461
Beautiful setup and I look forward to hearing it in your system. Has Carl at Apex been able to help you out?

Back