May 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - A Crash Course for the Ravers

Day 18 - Little Wonder
Stinky weather fat, shaky hands / Dopey morning doc, grumpy gnomes
Various – Stay Awake (Various Interpretations Of Music From Vintage Disney Films)
20220518_212932.jpg

All I've wanted to do all day knowing this prompt was awaiting is listen to Tom Waits singing The Dwarfs Marching Song.

Day 14 - The Jean Genie
New York's a go-go and everything tastes right
Play something that is about New York or related to it

Between working and watching baseball, hockey playoffs, and re-watching Stranger Things to get ready for Season 4 my record playing time has decreased a lot.

I'll spin this because it's new and sitting here on my desk...

Box set includes 4K Blu Ray of the movie

John Carpenter – Escape From New York
Sacred Bones Records – SBR-301, 2022

Sacred Bones exclusive Black/Blue Starburst with Red Splatter variant

Pressed at GZ

oIrKNo.jpg

QWoTXs.jpg

6whlxt.jpg

Day 19 - Look Back In Anger
"You know who I am," he said / The speaker was an angel
Play something angry

Nirvana - Nevermind

C1163368-392C-4D76-9BCD-2F0EB1E61396.jpeg
From the opening guitar riff to Kurt shouting "here we are now, entertain us!" to the repeated "a denial!" at the end of the song, Smells Like Teen Spirit is just a mood. And that's just the first song!

Day 15 - Brian Eno birthday
Play something criminal

Jello Biafra was charged with distributing "harmful material to minors" for the included HR Giger poster, as the owner of Alternative Tentacles. The jury deadlocked 5 to 7 in favor of acquittal. The judge ordered all charges dropped after a motion for re-trial.

Dead Kennedys – Frankenchrist
Alternative Tentacles – VIRUS 45, 1985

Poster included.

BbW92C.jpg

PsM1sQ.jpg

This spoken word album is a good listen on his trial...the beginning bit is a little dated, though.

Day 19 - Look Back In Anger
Play something angry.

Skunk Anansie- 25 Live@25
Probabably not the first band that comes to mind when thinking angry, but they got some really angry songs in their repertoire,
"yes, its fucking political" , " little baby swastika" or "intellectualize my blackness" are all the righteous anger of a black LBGTQ woman ( the anger of which we should all be listening to more)
1653031600750.png

Day 20 - Modern Love
Play something (anti-)religious or spiritual

Priceless [2003] - Kelly Price
Kelly Price... CRIPES, what a voice! I love that there's always a few praise songs on her albums. "I Still Do" is the final track on this album, and shows off her mad skills singing gospel.

Price.JPG

Back