MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

My first-run Ultradeck is still going strong. I haven't had any problems with it and still consider it a great purchase. I've dealt with technical support twice over a couple of self-inflicted issues a few years ago and they helped me out pretty quickly.

Value-wise, if a were in the market for a new turntable today and wanted to spend $3200, (roughly $2500 in 2018 dollars), the Ultradeck is no longer competitive and I wouldn't even consider it. That being said, if $1500 was at the top of my budget and knowing what I know now, the Ultradeck without a cartridge at $1500 is an outstanding value and I'd jump all over it.
In Canada the ultradeck with no cart. is going for $3400 Canadian or $2513 US .

There’s yet another link in the chain. Mofi Electronics is in Ann Arbor, MI. Mofi Distribution is in Las Vegas. Mofi Distribution handles all of the incoming customer service inquiries and dealings with replacement parts, but Mofi Electronics fulfills them (at least with the Masterdeck). In addition to a 3-hour time difference within Mofi’s internal operations, the factory in Ann Arbor seems to wrangle with Distribution in Las Vegas. Simple questions and problems (like a lifter that clearly does not work out of the box) take days to work out internally within Mofi.
This is a convenient excuse, but better QC out the factory door would alleviate many of these problems. The best after sale customer service is the one I don’t have top use.

Replacement MasterDeck arrived today and there's no issue with the lifter. Just finished going through the setup and calibration process again (since the initial run had to be replaced).

There was a note enclosed with the following vote of assurance to address improvements between production runs. The comments included were as follows:

• The speed accuracy, which was already quite good, has been improved and is now comparable with that of direct drive turntables
  • Lifting mechanism was replaced
  • A 2nd ground lug for chassis ground has now been added to alleviate grounding hums in more extreme situations.
  • The motor has been tweaked and further damped which has resulted in around 13dB of noise reduction
Overall, my initial sense is that I'll have one incredible product once its had some time to "break-in" a bit. By that I'm mainly referring to the cart since it's brand new also. I had my Grado Sonata running on the first one but don't really feel like aligning and adjusting the tracking force/VTA/etc this afternoon, so I'll have to report back. Or since it shipped with the UltraGold cart maybe I'll just rock that for awhile and leave well enough alone. Adjustments aren't difficult, in fact they're made very easy with this arm... I'm just being lazy.

Had intended on pairing this MD with its MD phono stage counterpart but decided to stick with my trusty DL MP8B for now. Can't say enough about Keith and his team, let alone this little magic box. Only thing it doesn't do that I wanted was XLR connections but I can live without those if need be. Besides, the MD phono stage is more investment than I'm prepared to make right now. It is ridiculously nice and of course a natural pairing, but there's something about my analog rig matching the value of my truck that I can't quite justify, at least for now. 😁

MoFi Electronics definitely are not for the faint hearted, but I've still had less issues with their lineup than I did VPI, so the transition while requiring a great deal of patience isn't something I regret at all.

Cheers.

Replacement MasterDeck arrived today and there's no issue with the lifter. Just finished going through the setup and calibration process again (since the initial run had to be replaced).

There was a note enclosed with the following vote of assurance to address improvements between production runs. The comments included were as follows:

• The speed accuracy, which was already quite good, has been improved and is now comparable with that of direct drive turntables
  • Lifting mechanism was replaced
  • A 2nd ground lug for chassis ground has now been added to alleviate grounding hums in more extreme situations.
  • The motor has been tweaked and further damped which has resulted in around 13dB of noise reduction
Overall, my initial sense is that I'll have one incredible product once its had some time to "break-in" a bit. By that I'm mainly referring to the cart since it's brand new also. I had my Grado Sonata running on the first one but don't really feel like aligning and adjusting the tracking force/VTA/etc this afternoon, so I'll have to report back. Or since it shipped with the UltraGold cart maybe I'll just rock that for awhile and leave well enough alone. Adjustments aren't difficult, in fact they're made very easy with this arm... I'm just being lazy.

Had intended on pairing this MD with its MD phono stage counterpart but decided to stick with my trusty DL MP8B for now. Can't say enough about Keith and his team, let alone this little magic box. Only thing it doesn't do that I wanted was XLR connections but I can live without those if need be. Besides, the MD phono stage is more investment than I'm prepared to make right now. It is ridiculously nice and of course a natural pairing, but there's something about my analog rig matching the value of my truck that I can't quite justify, at least for now. 😁

MoFi Electronics definitely are not for the faint hearted, but I've still had less issues with their lineup than I did VPI, so the transition while requiring a great deal of patience isn't something I regret at all.

Cheers.
Happy to hear all that, on a side note............
Capture.PNG

Just sayin' ;)

I almost sent that in reply also but it’s a different model (not special mkii) and I don’t have a clue about the differences so held off.
The Upscale MKII model has two additional gain settings. The "standard" version has 45dB and 60dB, the MK adds 50dB and 65dB, it also came with different tubes than the standard, now shipping with Gold Lions 6922's. I'll tell ya, the additional two gains are very useful. The flexibility of this phono stage is really impressive and it sounds amazing............in my opinion ;)

Back