MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

I have almost 3 years on my UltraDeck/MasterTracker . When you say you have noticed a lot less tension in your stylus , could you provide some more details on the difference in sound you hear with an aging stylus . I cant say that I have heard any difference in my sound yet , but it so difficult to determine that . Of course aging ears does not help .
The sound still seems good although I feel like the bass is a bit more boomy with less clarity. The main thing I notice is that the cartridge is physically riding lower because the stylus lays flatter these days.

It’s definitely a bummer that the MasterTracker doesn’t have a replaceable stylus, because I’d choose to go that route if I could.

The sound still seems good although I feel like the bass is a bit more boomy with less clarity. The main thing I notice is that the cartridge is physically riding lower because the stylus lays flatter these days.

It’s definitely a bummer that the MasterTracker doesn’t have a replaceable stylus, because I’d choose to go that route if I could.
Thanks , yes its a pain to have to replace the whole cartridge rather than just the stylus . I will likely change the cartridge brand when the time comes .

You can have the stylus and cantilever professionally replaced at VAS in New Jersey. Steve does a great job at much less cost than a full replacement.

Last edited:
It cannot be replaced by the consumer. It can be replaced by a professional “re-tipper”. I’ve used VAS to replace styli on two MC cartridges.

Thanks , I understand now . Being from Canada makes it all the more difficult.

Thanks for the tip (pun intended). I think I'll take advantage of this, even though I am getting my Nagaoka.

Having a re-tipped backup is better than having a worn-out cartridge sitting around. Any thoughts on what a re-tipping might cost? I'm hoping not more than $200.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip (pun intended). I think I'll take advantage of this, even though I am getting my Nagaoka.

Having a re-tipped backup is better than having a worn-out cartridge sitting around. Any thoughts on what a re-tipping might cost? I'm hoping not more than $200.
It can be around $200 depending on the stylus type. My Hana SL was retipped for $235 in 2020 and my Hana ML was retipped for $360 in 2022. An elliptical will likely be cheaper and more exotic cantilevers will cost more.

You can see sample pricing on eBay under vas_cartridge_repairs, but I always went to him directly, not through eBay.

It can be around $200 depending on the stylus type. My Hana SL was retipped for $235 in 2020 and my Hana ML was retipped for $360 in 2022. An elliptical will likely be cheaper and more exotic cantilevers will cost more.

You can see sample pricing on eBay under vas_cartridge_repairs, but I always went to him directly, not through eBay.
Does a ‘retipped’ stylus last as long and perform as well as a new one?

How much will the re-tip be? I need to update my pricing notions.
Steve did not quote me. I want a replacement for the existing stylus, no upgrades, which, per Angsty's comment, could be in the ~$200 range.

That said, my Nagaoka MP-200 arrived yesterday and is going on the deck this week. Quick question, because I can't recall. How do the anti-skate rings work on MoFi decks again? Where is ring 1 (closest to the fulcrum or furthest?)

Back