MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Maybe we can do it like this:
If you we can make similar pic with a phone of known good and bad examples :) we can fairly accurate determine if it needs replacing.

Advice from Shure:

Question: I am using a 200 power microscope to inspect a used stylus. What are the visual criteria for determining wear or damage to the stylus?

Answer: Look directly down on the stylus tip. Illuminate the stylus from each side. As the stylus wears, flat spots are created. These flat spots will reflect light up into the eyepiece. A worn stylus will look like two cat eyes staring at you.

Here are some older examples from Shure. Other newer examples can be found online.

I just got the needle checked out, it seems its like new.

Other issue is my Sutiodeck runs 0.9% fast, after I lubricated it, before lubrication there was some rubbing noise from the nearing but run just 0.5% fast. Is there something I can do? I changed the belt and jo change.

When I bought the TT from kvetcha, it had a spare belt (thank you). I tried both and the "old" one was almost perfect 33.3, while the new one was a little fast although still acceptable (don't remember the exact figures, but it wasn't so negligible). So I guess there is a difference even between the OEM belts.
I still have the old one in place.

What are you guys using to measure this?

I have the iphone app that can measure, but it strikes me that it wouldn’t be 100% precise for a couple potential reasons — software perfection or not; hardware perfection or not (the gyroscope in the phone); user variance (placement of the phone on the tt)

What are you guys using to measure this?

I have the iphone app that can measure, but it strikes me that it wouldn’t be 100% precise for a couple potential reasons — software perfection or not; hardware perfection or not (the gyroscope in the phone); user variance (placement of the phone on the tt)
I use RPM Pro and have found it pretty accurate, but obviously something like a strobe would be best.

My pitch isn’t good enough that I’d be able to tell by just listening.

A guy on Reddit also made this very cool app that works by comparing playback of a song to a digital copy from Apple Music:

I also use RPM Pro, my previous Denon TT had the strobe so I had the possibility to compare, the iPhone measurements seem to be accurate.

33.48=ultradeck
33.35=Technics 1500 from 50 years ago

Via RPM Wow App on iPhone 14.

But, it registers differently depending on position on the platter—or the above it with a weight that allows center phone placement.

I would point out that the calibration is likely in the control chips/sensors…not the pulley. No? this isn’t a Rega. Pretty sure the speed of the motor is monitored and regulated. No?

33.48=ultradeck

But, it registers differently depending on position on the platter—or the above it with a weight that allows center phone placement.

I would point out that the calibration is likely in the control chips/sensors…not the pulley. No? this isn’t a Rega. Pretty sure the speed of the motor is monitored and regulated. No?
Ultradeck, belt a couple of years old and not re-lubricated for a couple of years runs at 33.43 using RPM apt . Phone sits on a weight , same on weight as a light foam centered over spindle .

33.48=ultradeck

A simple AC motor turns at a constant speed dictated by the power frequency. The speed of the platter depends on the position of the belt on the pulley.

Ok, I guess that’s negligible. I was hoping there is some pot i can turn until is perfect, but if there isn’t one.. I‘m fine with that.

IMG_0586.png
The app is not so precise:
IMG_0587.png

The blue one is actually a digital file on my streamer.

Last edited:
Back