NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman upheld Boston Bruins star Brad Marchand's six-game suspension for roughing and high-sticking Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender Tristan Jarry, the league announced Friday.

The incident occurred during a testy matchup between the Eastern Conference foes on Feb. 8. Marchand punched Jarry in the head after the netminder denied the Bruins winger on a scoring chance in the dying seconds. A scrum broke out soon afterward, and Marchand hit Jarry's mask with his stick.

Referees assessed Marchand a minor penalty for roughing and a match penalty on the play.

The Department of Player Safety announced its decision to suspend the 33-year-old on Feb. 9. Marchand filed an appeal a couple of days later, arguing that his actions were stupid but weren't "suspension-worthy."

Marchand had his hearing on Feb. 16. In his ruling, Bettman said he found Marchand's remorse to be sincere but added that the veteran's suspension history is "unenviable." The league has suspended Marchand eight times in his career and twice this season. He received a three-game ban for slew-footing Vancouver Canucks defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson in November.

Marchand leads all Bruins with 49 points in 39 games this campaign.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman upheld Boston Bruins star Brad Marchand's six-game suspension for roughing and high-sticking Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender Tristan Jarry, the league announced Friday.

The incident occurred during a testy matchup between the Eastern Conference foes on Feb. 8. Marchand punched Jarry in the head after the netminder denied the Bruins winger on a scoring chance in the dying seconds. A scrum broke out soon afterward, and Marchand hit Jarry's mask with his stick.

Referees assessed Marchand a minor penalty for roughing and a match penalty on the play.

The Department of Player Safety announced its decision to suspend the 33-year-old on Feb. 9. Marchand filed an appeal a couple of days later, arguing that his actions were stupid but weren't "suspension-worthy."

Marchand had his hearing on Feb. 16. In his ruling, Bettman said he found Marchand's remorse to be sincere but added that the veteran's suspension history is "unenviable." The league has suspended Marchand eight times in his career and twice this season. He received a three-game ban for slew-footing Vancouver Canucks defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson in November.

Marchand leads all Bruins with 49 points in 39 games this campaign.

I’ve despised Marchand for a while because of all of his nonsense. Then I almost started to give in to his chirps and then he pulled this crap. There was zero reason to pull that shit on Jarry.
But screw that dude and the Bruins.
Only way I’d ever route for them is if the were playing VGK in the finals, BUT THAT IS IT.

This is impressive because of the start time. I think monetarily the NHL might benefit from the ESPN/TNT deal but that’s about it. Plus 13 million viewers watched from up North.

View attachment 129401
The fact that 3.5m viewers is the 2nd highest viewership in the us since 2019 blows my mind. I wouldn’t be surprised saturday night games get that routinely in canada, and then playoff games are just must watch events. i guess culture differences and all that…

The fact that 3.5m viewers is the 2nd highest viewership in the us since 2019 blows my mind. I wouldn’t be surprised saturday night games get that routinely in canada, and then playoff games are just must watch events. i guess culture differences and all that…
I know that the NHL will always be niche the U.S. I’m skeptical about the current television deal with the NHL.

I did enjoy watching the gold medal game. It was fast and open. That was refreshing.
I wish the league would switch to international rink measurements. I think it would open the game up more.

Caufield Suzuki, and Anderson are straight 🔥 rn!

It's like I'm watching a completely different team the way they're playing, and they're probably less talented overall than earlier in the year on top of that.

It's unfortunate because I was happy they were promoting a new local coach in Dominic Ducharme, but he really turned out to be bad. Frankly, he was already bad to close out last year but Price saved his ass, and Bergevin's, in the playoffs (pun intended).

Back