NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

It's like I'm watching a completely different team the way they're playing, and they're probably less talented overall than earlier in the year on top of that.

It's unfortunate because I was happy they were promoting a new local coach in Dominic Ducharme, but he really turned out to be bad. Frankly, he was already bad to close out last year but Price saved his ass, and Bergevin's, in the playoffs (pun intended).
I don't think he was as bad as the team's record indicated. I think the veterans on that team let him down and stop playing for him, starting with Petry.

I don't think he was as bad as the team's record indicated. I think the veterans on that team let him down and stop playing for him, starting with Petry.

It's pretty clear some players had given up on DD. At the same time, it's becoming apparent that he had the wrong system in place for the players he had. This team should move the puck fast, play north-south and use speed and get out of its zone quickly. But DD had the players play tight down low, which caused them to get hemmed in their zone a lot - which is a problem for that defense and exposes our goaltenders that are not Carey Price in god-mode. Plus it looks like there was a lot of restrictions with what they could do on offense.

I don't want them to win too much right now because this season is already down the tubes, but at least we know the players are not completely bad. For one, many had given up on Caufield but now we know the kid is just fine and he'll keep getting better. This will be good to evaluate who to keep and how to move forward.

Putting MSL in place looks like quite the good move for now. Will be interesting to see what happens in a few weeks when the honeymoon period ends. That said, I don't remember such a drastic improvement following a Habs coaching change in a long time.

The funniest thing I've read all year 🤣🤣🤣

It appears Sean Avery is making a comeback.

The 41-year-old signed a standard player contract with the ECHL's Orlando Solar Bears on Wednesday, the team announced. The Solar Bears are an affiliate of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

"I've got seven months to be physically ready to walk onto an NHL training camp," Avery said on the "Blackballed with James Di Fiore" podcast. "That is a lot of time based on how I feel right now physically and how I feel on the ice after skating six times after not skating for 10 years. My timing is coming back and it's getting sharper every single time. I can feel it happening."

Avery retired a decade ago. He last played professional hockey during the 2011-12 campaign where he split his time between the New York Rangers and the AHL's Connecticut Whale.

He played 10 seasons in the NHL with the Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, Rangers, and Dallas Stars. He racked up 247 points and 1,533 penalty minutes in 580 career games.

Avery was better known for controversies than for his playing ability. While with the Rangers in the 2008 playoffs, Avery turned his back on the play in order to screen New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur by waving his stick and hands in the air. The following day, the NHL announced such actions would result in an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, which is now known as "The Avery Rule."

The next season, while he was playing for the Stars, the NHL suspended Avery for six games for "conduct detrimental to the league or the game of hockey" after he said other NHL players who were dating his ex-girlfriends were falling in love with his "sloppy seconds." After the suspension, the Stars announced he wouldn't return to the team.

While with the Kings, Avery mocked Dustin Brown about Brown's lisp and his then-girlfriend (now wife). In 2016, a restraining order was issued against Avery for harassing his mother-in-law.

Not including the Canadian teams, but I wonder how much attendance is down compared to pre Covid. A whole chunk of empty seats in Pittsburgh tonight. Last night I was watching some of Dallas/Winnipeg and their barn was empty AF. Though I was watching the Panthers.

Not including the Canadian teams, but I wonder how much attendance is down compared to pre Covid. A whole chunk of empty seats in Pittsburgh tonight. Last night I was watching some of Dallas/Winnipeg and their barn was empty AF. Though I was watching the Panthers.
The panthers arena is a disgrace. Their team is sooo good and yet no one is there. I’ll take it as the visiting team tonight. Go Jackets!!

Also again…
Laine =
1645750380899.gif

Last edited:
Kraken seems to be lower compared to start of the season, but I imagine that is primarily due to poor performance and at home win rate.

Back