Seattle / Tacoma / Washington

Flying into town tomorrow night for my niece's wedding this weekend. Hoping to sneak away at some point to visit some bins. Hi-Voltage is the one I know that's close by where my sister lives, but are there any others I should try to get to if I'm able?
In Tacoma you have Drastic Plastic and House Of Records/Turmtable Treasures both on 6th Ave not too far away from Hi-Voltage. Drastic Plastic is basically just a smaller version of what you would find at Hi-Voltage less selection but sometimes they have different shit. Turntable Treasure is a bit of a chore. Tons or record in piles and stacks. It’s mostly used but they have a small selection of new. We have a Half Priced Books over by the mall too which is always a mixed bag but occasionally worthwhile.

Outside of town I know there is a newer shop in Puyallup called Atomic Genius. I haven’t been by to check it out yet.

If you don’t mind going a bit further south to Olympia you get Rainy Day which is probably the best shop in the south sound when you weigh cost and variety. Lots of great new and used at very reasonable prices. There is also a newer shop close by Rainy Day called Lantern Records that I have yet to visit but I follow on Instagram and it looks like a fun shop though it appears to be on the smaller side.

South Sound Record Store Rankings:

01. Rainy Day Records in Olympia
02. Hi-Voltage Records in Tacoma
03. Drastic Plastic in Tacoma
04. Lantern Records in Olympia
05. Atomic Genius Records in Puyallup
06. Half Priced Books in Tacoma
07. Turntable Treasures in Tacoma

Flying home at 5 that day, otherwise I actually probably could convince the wife!
I have to work but would be down with meeting up for a beer and/or a bite while you are in town if you’d like. We could potentially meet up to do some record shopping as well if you want company (not that I need more records). Depending on the time of day and activity my SO could tag along as well. DM me if you are interested and we can try to work something out.

I have to work but would be down with meeting up for a beer and/or a bite while you are in town if you’d like. We could potentially meet up to do some record shopping as well if you want company (not that I need more records). Depending on the time of day and activity my SO could tag along as well. DM me if you are interested and we can try to work something out.
I'll let you know once I feel things out tomorrow. It all depends on how much my sister (mother of the bride) puts me to work. She already has me cooking dinner for 28 people on Friday night, so I'm guessing with that I'm off the hook for anything else but showing up. Either way, a beer and looking at records sounds a million times better than having to spend time with my fundamentalist aunt and uncle who I haven't seen in 20 years. Last time I saw my uncle he wouldn't even look at me and ignored me the whole time. I honestly wouldn't mind if that's the same this time around.

Excited for my niece though. Her husband is from London so she's moving back with him right after the wedding.

Well my sister put me to work non-stop for the wedding and I never was able to sneak away to check out any record shops. It was an awesome backyard wedding party after they got married in a little ceremony on the Sound. But I did really enjoy the Sub Pop store in the airport and was able to find a Tad album I didn't have yet in there. Cool little store and surprisingly decent prices on most albums in there, despite it being in an airport. Most Sub Pop titles in there were only $22. Hopefully next time I'm out there we can get a beer, TLK!

Back