STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

14b10fbb-9e47-4fbb-b665-9ebb0e85e0ab_text.gif

That’s a bit annoying- as uneven a show as it was , it ended quite well and was set up nicely
Whereas I was in the reverse. I thought it worked well until the final flashback and the end. Then it felt muddy, rushed, and bit too Rian Johnson/JJ Abrams dangling threads to set up a 2nd season when that was never a given. I'm mostly sad that taking risks will no longer be something Lucasfilm is prepared to do. Everything will be member berries, fan service, or piggybacking off existing IP. I guess Andor S2 and Skeleton Crew are our last original ideas for a time. Everything going forward will probably be a safe, Skywalker adjacent storyline, if they do anything TV wise going forward. I think Disney is in a massive cost cutting mode.

If not following new stories is the lesson from the acolyte than disney got it wrong. I think the high republic book series is pretty great, but the acolyte was one of the worse Star Wars live action series. ( for me better than book of Boba, on par with kenobi but not as good as the rest). The writing and the Pasing was just off, so I still think there is room for stories in the Star wars universe besides the skywalkers they just have to be toll better

The Disney model right now is to take as few risks as possible. Most of the content that's coming out are prequels (Mufasa) and sequels (Toy Story 5, Moana 2, Frozen 3). They only want to invest in things they know will bring a return. Even Marvel is doing that. What's already been produced will be released like Skeleton Crew. Everything else going forward will mostly be existing IP. I doubt we'll ever see the James Manigold and Shawn Levy movies.

Reactions: Jan
I don't think the issue with The Acolyte was that it tried something new and failed. I think the issue was that they made a show super boring for half its runtime and teased a bunch of set-up that we now know we'll likely never get around to.

The Acolyte was not perfect, but first seasons of shows rarely are. Plenty of shows take time to grow into their skin, and you can even see that happening in real time with the second half of the season. Disney is being incredibly short-sighted here and not even attempting to make this work by figuring out a more appropriate budget after absurd overspending on this and other projects. You cannot please the crowd that hates The Acolyte, as they will hate everything that exists in Disney Star Wars short of Andor, so you just have to press forward with an ambitious vision. And it appears they do not have one.

Back