The Blue Note Thread

Do you guys now what sort of reputation the 3 Sounds has? I picked up a nice copy of Black Orchid pretty cheap and I really like it so far. Looking at their stuff on Discogs, looks like they're not super popular, just based on the relatively reasonable pricing.

Do you guys now what sort of reputation the 3 Sounds has? I picked up a nice copy of Black Orchid pretty cheap and I really like it so far. Looking at their stuff on Discogs, looks like they're not super popular, just based on the relatively reasonable pricing.

I love the 3 Sounds personally. It's just really groovy, blues-based and swinging jazz. Really easy to listen to. This did lead to critics dismissing them as lounge music. However, if I'm not mistaken they were one of Blue Notes best sellers back in the day, hence why most of their albums aren't that expensive.

There is a nice little bio on the Blue Note website

I love the 3 Sounds personally. It's just really groovy, blues-based and swinging jazz. Really easy to listen to. This did lead to critics dismissing them as lounge music. However, if I'm not mistaken they were one of Blue Notes best sellers back in the day, hence why most of their albums aren't that expensive.

There is a nice little bio on the Blue Note website

Yeah that's sort of what I thought wrt critics. I can totally see it too, I mean that was my first impression. But it's good stuff!

I don’t know what it is about jazz, and specifically Blue Note, but I have no off switch. Told myself no more records for a while, especially spendy ones, and all the sudden I find myself the top bidder on this copy of The All Seeing Eye.
This one here
Just want to make sure no one else is going for this because I think it will end around ~$100 and I’m not even sure I want to spend that much but it’s the only Shorter 60’s Blue Note I need besides Super Nova. 🙃😵🤪

Nothing like blowing through your savings.

I don’t know what it is about jazz, and specifically Blue Note, but I have no off switch. Told myself no more records for a while, especially spendy ones, and all the sudden I find myself the top bidder on this copy of The All Seeing Eye.
This one here
Just want to make sure no one else is going for this because I think it will end around ~$100 and I’m not even sure I want to spend that much but it’s the only Shorter 60’s Blue Note I need besides Super Nova. 🙃😵🤪

it is my absolute favorite record of his and I absolutely hope you get it. I've never seen a OG in the wild.

This one here

Oh man bad news, I just hit the powerball so I'm bidding this way up, good luck though pal

edit to add: that guy has a lot of stuff listed for anyone else looking. I'm probably a little spent-out right now. Should focus more on cleaning records than on aquiring more.......

I ordered and received Blue Mode by Reuben Wilson a few days ago, while Think! and Blacks and Blues were canceled. I first found the cancellations weird, and then I just realized they sent me the Wilson album a full week before the release date.

I haven't listened to it yet, but the cover quality is disappointing, probably a blowup of a medium quality scan for CD. Hope the sound overwhelms the disappointment.

and to be clear, if neither of you want it -- or want to drop out, I would totally bid so just say the word 😄
It just reads like a damn near perfect copy of this album, even with the small corner gouge. Is it an original? I don’t have the specifics down for that but understand it’s a very early press.

Back