The Blue Note Thread

It just reads like a damn near perfect copy of this album, even with the small corner gouge. Is it an original? I don’t have the specifics down for that but understand it’s a very early press.
Upon first glance, it looks like an original mono:

Upon first glance, it looks like an original mono:
Nice, definitely tempting then. Spinning that OG Schizophrenia right now and knowing it will sound this good but with less surface noise and pops makes it sort of hard to back out. That and i don’t see many good copies pop up. Can’t even find a Kings press on discogs.

Nice, definitely tempting then. Spinning that OG Schizophrenia right now and knowing it will sound this good but with less surface noise and pops makes it sort of hard to back out. That and i don’t see many good copies pop up. Can’t even find a Kings press on discogs.
Yea--there are a few on discogs but not as good space and are a bit pricier. FWIW, this guy's grading system is a but wonky...I hate when people say something is EX++...it does seem like it could be in very good shape though. We'll see what it goes for! My guess is $150.

Yea--there are a few on discogs but not as good space and are a bit pricier. FWIW, this guy's grading system is a but wonky...I hate when people say something is EX++...it does seem like it could be in very good shape though. We'll see what it goes for! My guess is $150.
Wouldn’t be surprised. Saw a NM-/VG+ King press go for $80-85 shipped about a month ago. So $150 seems like a good guess.

Low ball offers, you say? You got some of them, you know, usernames? Don't worry, I'll stay away from the 45s.
I think they were all 45RPM sadly. But lemme double check to make sure I don't want any others first haha. She also had a bunch of Classic Records + AP. Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 were make me an offer. The Henderson was listed at 55 or 50 and I offered 40 and she accepted it.

I think they were all 45RPM sadly. But lemme double check to make sure I don't want any others first haha. She also had a bunch of Classic Records + AP. Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 were make me an offer. The Henderson was listed at 55 or 50 and I offered 40 and she accepted it.

Oh yeah that's a solid deal. I'm always afraid to go too low on offers sometimes but I guess that's the game. I've had people make me lowball offers on stuff I've sold and I came back with a more reasonable offer only to have them turn me down. It's still a deal, you're just not robbing me blind.

Oh yeah that's a solid deal. I'm always afraid to go too low on offers sometimes but I guess that's the game. I've had people make me lowball offers on stuff I've sold and I came back with a more reasonable offer only to have them turn me down. It's still a deal, you're just not robbing me blind.
Yea I try not to lowball either. I typically offer 20% less at the most if there’s an offer link and expect them to come back to me with 10% off. But if there’s an offer button on discogs they expect to sell it for less than listed.

I'm looking forward to that Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims release.
I find her story very intriguing. Sbe was born in 1925 in Leipzig, Germany, learned classical Piano as a child, but fell in love with jazz with 14 yo. During the nazi years she helped organize and played in iillegal Jazz clubs. After the war she moved to west germany and started out playing in G.I. clubs and local jazz club and formed her first quintett. She toured europe a lot the next years with her band and in touring bands with us jazzmusicians. Leonard feather heard her during that time and convinced her to relocate to the us where she was the first European signed to blue note. She recorded three albums but leonard feather withdrew his support because she refused to take his songs into her repertoire and was not interested in a romantic relationship with him. Nevertheless she still played small jazz clubs and did a tour through the amercan south with Saxophonist Jesse Powell that she described as the highlight of her career. Afterwards she took up a job as a seamstress in queens and played weekend gigs, but finally stopped playing, because of alcohol problems she had during her career that partially stemmed from her subduing her stage fright with alcohol. She never touched a piano again and dedicated time to her second passion: painting. She stayed a passionate jazz listener and took lots of fotos in small clubs in queens, some of those and her drawings of jazz musicians were published in german jazz magazines. In 2002 Blue had to actually take some effort to find her and hand her a 40.000$ check for sold reissues. When she died her neigbours and acquaintances learned from the obituarys that she was a famous jazz musician once.

4 minutes left on All Seeing Eye and no one has rescued me by outbidding!

Edit: ended up losing by $1 at literally the last second! I'm a little sad but mostly relieved as I'd resigned myself to probably not winning it and decided to spend the equivalent amount on three other records already.

Last edited:
A user on Hoffman posted this list and Joe Harley commented saying a few of these are on tap for 2020 and 2021 Tone Poets. He also confirmed State of the Tenor Vol. 1 is now officially in the next line up.

Jutta Hipp - At the Hickory House, Vols. 1 and 2
Herbie Nichols - Herbie Nichols Trio
Paul Chambers - Bass on Top
Curtis Fuller - Bone & Bari
Kenny Burrell - Blue Lights, Vols. 1 and 2
Bennie Green - Soul Stirrin'
Dizzy Reece - Blues in Trinity
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - At the Jazz Corner of the World, Vols. 1 and 2
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Meet you at the Jazz Corner of the World, Vols. 1 and 2
Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
Don Wilkerson - Preach Brother!
Jackie McLean - Vertigo
Herbie Hancock - My Point of View
Horace Silver - Silver's Serenade
Don Wilkerson - Shoutin'
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider
Freddie Roach - Good Move!
Freddie Roach - Brown Sugar
Freddie Hubbard - Breaking Point
Grachan Moncur III - Some Other Stuff
Jackie McLean - It's Time!
Tony Williams - Life Time
Freddie Hubbard - Blue Spirits
Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue
Andrew Hill - Andrew!!!
Freddie Hubbard - The Night of the Cookers, Vols. 1 and 2
Ornette Coleman - Town Hall Concert, Vols. 1 and 2
Bobby Hutcherson - Components

4 minutes left on All Seeing Eye and no one has rescued me by outbidding!

Edit: ended up losing by $1 at literally the last second! I'm a little sad but mostly relieved as I'd resigned myself to probably not winning it and decided to spend the equivalent amount on three other records already.
Bummer, yeah we had a little push around that time and I tried cooking and bidding but I gave up and decided doing my job was a little more important. But damn, a little over $100 including shipping?! I would have paid that.
Does anyone have line of sight on the new series from MMJ? I'd love to see me some All Seeing Eye.... (sigh)
Oh man, yes please!!!

A user on Hoffman posted this list and Joe Harley commented saying a few of these are on tap for 2020 and 2021 Tone Poets. He also confirmed State of the Tenor Vol. 1 is now officially in the next line up.

Jutta Hipp - At the Hickory House, Vols. 1 and 2
Herbie Nichols - Herbie Nichols Trio
Paul Chambers - Bass on Top
Curtis Fuller - Bone & Bari
Kenny Burrell - Blue Lights, Vols. 1 and 2
Bennie Green - Soul Stirrin'
Dizzy Reece - Blues in Trinity
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - At the Jazz Corner of the World, Vols. 1 and 2
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Meet you at the Jazz Corner of the World, Vols. 1 and 2
Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
Don Wilkerson - Preach Brother!
Jackie McLean - Vertigo
Herbie Hancock - My Point of View
Horace Silver - Silver's Serenade
Don Wilkerson - Shoutin'
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider
Freddie Roach - Good Move!
Freddie Roach - Brown Sugar
Freddie Hubbard - Breaking Point
Grachan Moncur III - Some Other Stuff
Jackie McLean - It's Time!
Tony Williams - Life Time
Freddie Hubbard - Blue Spirits
Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue
Andrew Hill - Andrew!!!
Freddie Hubbard - The Night of the Cookers, Vols. 1 and 2
Ornette Coleman - Town Hall Concert, Vols. 1 and 2
Bobby Hutcherson - Components

Been hunting for a copy of Ike Quebec's Heavy Soul for a while now! Saw an original pressing once in the wild and passed it up as I was unfamiliar with the record. Couple days later Spotify slipped a song of that album into my Discover Weekly and I sped back to the shop to see if ti was still there.... it wasnt. So this would be exciting. Just have to wait 2 years wOO

Back