The Funhouse - The Punks are all right

Pretty weird to see a NOFX article in the NY Times.

And apparently there's some real tension in the band about calling it quits, as Mike is in a different spot financially than some of the guys. And El Jefe compares the band to the Dead. “At first, we did resent him,” El Hefe said. “We didn’t agree with ending this. We were still making money, we still have an audience, people are still showing up at our shows. Their kids are growing up and coming to the shows. We’re like the Grateful Dead of punk rock.”🤣

Hey! As a die hard NOFX fan, a lot of that article is exaggerated. Some of the other guys (Hefe, for instance) have been pursuing other career opportunities and have barely recorded on their last official albums. That being said - I'm pumped to be attending 5 of their shows over the next few months.

Pretty weird to see a NOFX article in the NY Times.

And apparently there's some real tension in the band about calling it quits, as Mike is in a different spot financially than some of the guys. And El Jefe compares the band to the Dead. “At first, we did resent him,” El Hefe said. “We didn’t agree with ending this. We were still making money, we still have an audience, people are still showing up at our shows. Their kids are growing up and coming to the shows. We’re like the Grateful Dead of punk rock.”🤣

Rome is going to be looking for work. NOFX w/ Rome.

any royal headache fans in here? aussie band that made two of the best punk records ever and then split in 2017, but they’ve got a live record out friday. seriously excited.

their singer, tim “shogun” wall, may be the best vocalist i’ve ever seen perform, so much passion and wild intensity! he’s got a new band whose debut EP dropped earlier this year and there are at least two songs i had to play back three times in a row on there. this one just blows me away

any royal headache fans in here? aussie band that made two of the best punk records ever and then split in 2017, but they’ve got a live record out friday. seriously excited.

their singer, tim “shogun” wall, may be the best vocalist i’ve ever seen perform, so much passion and wild intensity! he’s got a new band whose debut EP dropped earlier this year and there are at least two songs i had to play back three times in a row on there. this one just blows me away

I’ll be checking out the live album! I haven’t heard his new project so I will be looking that up too.

IMG_3330.jpeg

Hey! As a die hard NOFX fan, a lot of that article is exaggerated. Some of the other guys (Hefe, for instance) have been pursuing other career opportunities and have barely recorded on their last official albums. That being said - I'm pumped to be attending 5 of their shows over the next few months.
I was hoping it was just a little bit tongue in cheek, but with Smelly it's hard to tell. I also had no idea that Hefe had an acting career going. Funny, because the rumor I had heard way back when (unprovable at the time because I'm old, and imdb wasn't imdb) was that Hefe had been in the original Bad News Bears.

I've got tickets to one of the shows. But they're playing Labor Day weekend here, and I'm already assuming life/kids soccer/other garbage are going to force my hand.

I was hoping it was just a little bit tongue in cheek, but with Smelly it's hard to tell. I also had no idea that Hefe had an acting career going. Funny, because the rumor I had heard way back when (unprovable at the time because I'm old, and imdb wasn't imdb) was that Hefe had been in the original Bad News Bears.

I've got tickets to one of the shows. But they're playing Labor Day weekend here, and I'm already assuming life/kids soccer/other garbage are going to force my hand.
Which show?

Which show?
August 31 in Brockton, MA.

While I'm wasting space here: when I was a wannabe punk in high school, I held my favorite bands close to my heart, and it really bummed me out if they got too popular with the "wrong" crowd (weird, I know). So when punk was having a little moment, and Heavy Petting Zoo came out, the single was Philthy Phil. One of the NYC radio stations started playing it, and then would have a showdown every night between the previous night's winner and a new challenger. Weird teenage me was not happy that Philthy Phil had won a couple of nights in a row, so I phoned in for whatever it was up against (I couldn't tell you). And at the end of the hour, the DJ comes and and goes "well philthy phil won again, and in a landslide. ______ got exactly 1 vote, so Matt, wherever you are, you can come grab a copy from the dumpster out back." That was my 30 seconds of fame.

Here missed a couple of their last European shows due to acting obligations. Glad I saw them in Berlin with here back. Buy the Berlin show I went to was fun, they've actually gotten better live, just don't expect to get 40 songs ( we got a close 37) and that they play the albums that they announce in full.. the announced albums for our show where dublin, wolves and valuum and they played 6 or 7 songs from the first two and 2 from valuum

August 31 in Brockton, MA.

While I'm wasting space here: when I was a wannabe punk in high school, I held my favorite bands close to my heart, and it really bummed me out if they got too popular with the "wrong" crowd (weird, I know). So when punk was having a little moment, and Heavy Petting Zoo came out, the single was Philthy Phil. One of the NYC radio stations started playing it, and then would have a showdown every night between the previous night's winner and a new challenger. Weird teenage me was not happy that Philthy Phil had won a couple of nights in a row, so I phoned in for whatever it was up against (I couldn't tell you). And at the end of the hour, the DJ comes and and goes "well philthy phil won again, and in a landslide. ______ got exactly 1 vote, so Matt, wherever you are, you can come grab a copy from the dumpster out back." That was my 30 seconds of fame.
This is amazing! I called in to Loveline with Dr. Drew and Adam Corrola in 2002 when Fat Mike and his then wife, Erin, were on the show. The recording exists out there and it's one of the most embarrassing things ever.

Super fortunate to have met the band a few times and hope to get to shake hands once more in Denver or LA. Hope you can make the 8/31 show!

Last edited:

Had neuer heart about royal headache but I like this and the antenna ep as well

Back