The Latest News from Neptune - a Sun Ra thread

A new "Best Of..." boot got listed over in the UK recently. It was cheap and I was curious:

1000006185.jpg1000006186.jpg

How this could remotely be considered a best of with nothing past 1960 is rather hilarious. Otherwise it's a pretty basic shiny thin sleeve featuring 2 of the more heavily used pictures of Sunny. Can't comment on the sound quality just yet but I imagine it's a CD rip.

A new "Best Of..." boot got listed over in the UK recently. It was cheap and I was curious:

View attachment 206881View attachment 206882

How this could remotely be considered a best of with nothing past 1960 is rather hilarious. Otherwise it's a pretty basic shiny thin sleeve featuring 2 of the more heavily used pictures of Sunny. Can't comment on the sound quality just yet but I imagine it's a CD rip.

...In fact, when Reel To Reel was still Real Gone, they did a 2x45LP of Jazz in Silhouette using the same image:

R-3975928-1379780034-4788.jpg

For anybody who didn't pick it up on RSD, Pink Elephants On Parade is now available to stream on Stupify (and likely other DSPs too.) Truly a fantastic collection of tunes.

It's not on Bandcamp yet, but I'm sure it will end up there in conjunction with the general vinyl release before the end of the year.

Sun Ra doing a couple shows in my area. I am too much of a poor to go. Turns out buying $60 audiophile reissues ads up.

Damn. I saw the email for this and loaded the page but didn't see how limited it was. There were 4 left when I loaded the page and none left when I was done helping my wife get the toddler off to daycare 😔

Looks rad.

Damn. I saw the email for this and loaded the page but didn't see how limited it was. There were 4 left when I loaded the page and none left when I was done helping my wife get the toddler off to daycare 😔

Looks rad.

Listening to the first "single" now and I'm even more upset I missed this. Terrified to think about how much this one is gonna cost me on the secondary market.

Listening to the first "single" now and I'm even more upset I missed this. Terrified to think about how much this one is gonna cost me on the secondary market.
75 copies frankly was a jerk move on their part. I bought the cd as LP was sold out not long after email went out.

75 copies frankly was a jerk move on their part. I bought the cd as LP was sold out not long after email went out.

I understand the desire to pay homage to his original small runs, but the demand is obviously much higher now. I did wind up buying the CD even though the only place I can play CDs is in the car, and Sunny ain't my go-to choice for driving music. I'd be very surprised if this didn't get a general wider release next year, but we'll have to see I guess. The 75 copies sold out in half an hour.

If anyone has seen listings for this Presspop figurine set, it’s going for $120. But a local record shop will sell at a much lower price ($90), which is still a lot of money, of course. They’re willing to deliver and said I could share their instagram story in case anyone is interested. The image below is a screenshot so you’ll have to go to their insta account to inquire.

And here’s a quick vid from Presspop:

IMG_3850.jpeg

Back