The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

That was diverting. It’s fun. It felt a little … reserved… I’m not sure how much of that is a crappy YouTube upload which made it feel like the production was all over the place which may be the case as it may have been recorded over a number of dates. Blueberry Hill is a classic. I love the horn hit at the beginning of each bar in Honey Chile. Trust in Me was another highlight. Wished the levels were up a bit on the piano cause that sounds like it was smoking. 3.

Last edited:
7/11/23
View attachment 177460

Van Morrison - Moondance

We can do a little better than allmusic today:

I think from a critical standpoint Astral Weeks is thought of as Van’s magnum opus and rightfully so. Still this is the Van Morrison record I am reaching for the majority of the time.

7/11/23
View attachment 177460

Van Morrison - Moondance

We can do a little better than allmusic today:

Those first five songs. Wow. "And it Stoned Me" is a perfect opener. The title track swings hard; hell of a tune. "Crazy Love" is a classic that has been covered numerous times. "Caravan" is beautiful, joyous brilliance. "Into the Mystic" is probably my favorite Morrison song, a singer/songwriter masterclass.

Side B isn't nearly as strong, but songs like "These Dreams of You" and "Brand New Day" are worth staying around for.

I also really like this. My favorite of Van the Man's work.

Rating: 4.5/5 [Outstanding]

Really like this one. Obviously side A is loaded with classic singles and so it’s a great listen. I don’t think it’s quite as strong an album as a good few others he did. It’s probably 6th or 7th in my van the man list. Unlike @TenderLovingKiller® im always grabbing Astral Weeks first and if don’t want to go on “a trip” il probably grabbing Tupelo Honey, St. Dominic’s Preview, His Band And The Street Choir and Into The Music ahead of it too. None of that is criticism, he just has such a strong catelogue. Also Tupelo Honey is the under the radar stone cold classic album in his discography, if you haven’t heard it you really should.

3.5/5 rounded up.

7/10/23
View attachment 177394

Fats Domino - This is Fats Domino

Album does not appear to be in Apple or Spotify. There is no allmusic review.

I'm trying to come up with something more positive than 'some of the songs are good, and he wrote them way back then'.

But that's it.

Listening now, this is an incredibly pedestrian meander through some old rock 'n' roll songs that is as dated as you would expect.

2 / 5 stars.

Back