The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

I’m sure I won’t express this as eloquently as I’d like, but as I start listening to this again, I think I’ve figured out what makes me react so strongly to it. So classical music is more static than rock music by its very nature. It is reserved. There can be expression, but it is nuanced.

Rock is the opposite of that, it is guttural and on the edge of falling into chaos. Metallica should be dangerous (and this is some of the issue with the band post Black album in general - they became pop and lost the ability to be dangerous as a result).

By combining the two in a live setting both have been robbed of what makes them special. Neither art form is allowed to breathe, the symphony has to act in such away that it doesn’t destroy the music should the band go a little too far one way or the other.

And Metallica can’t be as off the cuff as they normally would. It’s why James comes off so corny through out all of it… it’s a show that’s been rehearsed to death and his moments of manic showmanship are forced through that filter of rehearsed to death.

Everything that makes both art forms special is lost. So we get a caricature of both… it resembles both and is neither. It’s almost a new thing but is just off. They’re able to let the symphony shine through the instrumental pieces at the beginning but never find a way to let the band be the band.

Sure things like Fuel are better than their recorded counterparts but it’s such a low bar to begin with.

7/1/24
View attachment 207363
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

I bought this from a cheap Amazon deal having never heard anything from it. I probably listened to it one because it was a lot weirder than I though it was going to be. I'm working form home today so I'm digging out the vinyl and giving it another shot.

Edit: I'm actually enjoying this quite a bit.

Last edited:
This isn't my favorite King Crimson album, but it's up there. They had one of the best runs of albums for a few years there when this came out and Fripp's guitar playing still puzzles some of the best to ever do it. Reading about Vai trying to learn how to play some of these songs for the tour this year and he had to give up on a few because he couldn't get it down, and Vai was practically born with a guitar.

7/1/24
View attachment 207363
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

Good album. Also overrated. "Moonchild" brings this down one full point.

Owned this album on the basis that it was "necessary for your collection" then PIFed it away last year. No regrets.

Rating: 3/5 [Good]

Good album. Also overrated. "Moonchild" brings this down one full point.

Owned this album on the basis that it was "necessary for your collection" then PIFed it away last year. No regrets.

Rating: 3/5 [Good]
Necessary is relative to your own tastes though, right?

I could see if you were big into prog how this could be a necessary album, but if you’re not, probably not as much.

It’s just a lot of noodling having a picnic in the English coast kind of thing.

Necessary is relative to your own tastes though, right?
But I was a victim to those claims. It's why I no longer take statements of "you must have this" or "your collection isn't complete UNLESS..." seriously any longer. The worst kinds of statements and claims.
I could see if you were big into prog
In general, no longer.

Back