The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

I like the Stones cover.

The book said it was the American breakthrough. I got about halfway through the wiki last night will report back if it backs it up.

Wiki does make a compelling argument for it being the beginning of his experimental phase especially through the work of Garson.

I love the album but it is very evident that it was a bit of a rush job, recorded while on tour for Ziggy Stardust. Though that was pretty typical for him during the early part of the 70s. Still boggles my mind that he left "John, I'm Only Dancing" off at the last minute.

I just checked and the album peaked at #17 on Billboard with no song cracking the US top ten. Personally I would argue that it was not so much a breakthrough as setting him up for success with Diamond Dogs and Young Americans, but that is splitting hairs.

7/9/24
View attachment 207959
Dr. John, the Night Tripper - Gris-Gris

This one sent me to ye olde hard drive to retrieve a run-in I had with Mac Rebennack back in 2013. The trombone player here is the good Dr.'s daughter.

Witchy Red > Gris-Gris Gumbo Ya Ya...

Admit it - that was the best wah wah trombone solo ever.

Right Place Wrong Time...

So it’s evidently considered a Trip Hop classic. I was unfamiliar. It plays like a survey of electronica circa 1997. There are tracks that evoke The Orb and tracks that resemble Big Beat stylings. Guy went to NY when he was 17 and made a bunch of field recordings which he uses as jumping off points for the music. He went on to make a bunch of soundtracks. It’s like a dubby down tempo Fatboy Slim record.

So it’s evidently considered a Trip Hop classic. I was unfamiliar. It plays like a survey of electronica circa 1997. There are tracks that evoke The Orb and tracks that resemble Big Beat stylings. Guy went to NY when he was 17 and made a bunch of field recordings which he uses as jumping off points for the music. He went on to make a bunch of soundtracks. It’s like a dubby down tempo Fatboy Slim record.
All Music gave it a whopping 3 stars.

All Music gave it a whopping 3 stars.
It’s a case where the review reads better lol.

RS gave it three stars too and that review reads like a 1 star review. Their review goes off the rails and starts talking about how a Dr Premiere mixtape album does a better job of catching the spirit of NYC. Which seems like a weird critique of an album inspired by NYC, but whatevs.

I enjoyed it.

Back