The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

I love Lana as an artist but everything I find out about her personal life is something strange that I wish I didn’t know

Norman Fucking Rockwell is my favorite LDR album from front to back.

I recently reevaluated my top 5 albums of all time and decided NFR deserves a place there. As a long time Lana fan I always knew she had a classic album in her and I feel so lucky to have gotten it
I would assume Ultraviolence is in this so maybe that listen will be the one. 🤷‍♀️

Ultraviolence is my second fav of hers but if you aren’t into her schtick it’s a tough one to recommend. Every song is either about how sad she is or how her boyfriends abuse her but those are both ok with her. It can be a lot. Dan Auerbach is the main producer on it and it’s probably his best production work.

10/1/24
View attachment 214897
Lorde - Melodrama

Now onto the album of the day. In paper this should be a 10/10 album for me. At the time I considered Lorde to be the most exciting new artist of the decade because Pure Heroine was (and still is) one of my all time favorite and most personally significant albums. I love pop music and I love Jack’s production (he has produced 3/12 of my personal AOTYs) but I just don’t love this album. There are songs on here I do really love (the first 3 tracks and the closing track) but overall it just doesn’t click with me

I think Melodrama works better overall than Pure Heroine, I think Pure Heroine has some higher highs.

Writer in the Dark was the stand out track in my listen last night, in an album full of vulnerability, it felt the most raw and real to me. I also like the piano work and the song’s contrast to Antonoff’s production over the rest of the album.

I like Antonoff but the more I hear, the more he seems kind of one trick to me.

Last edited:
I think Melodrama works better overall than Pure Heroine, I think Pure Heroine has some higher highs.

Writer in the Dark was the stand out track in my listen last night, in an album full of vulnerability, it felt the most raw and real to me. I also like the piano work and the song’s contrast to Antonoff’s production over the rest of the album.

I like Antonoff but the more I hear, the more he seems kind of one trick to me.
Seeing how indebted his Bleachers project to Springsteen, I think his talent is transferring that Springsteen-esque quality of turning singer/songwriter storytelling into Bombastic arena rock anthems but with a modern pop aesthetic.

It’s might be a bit of a one trick pony but man when he has the right muse it really hits.

This is a band that I dug a lot. I really only knew their greatest hits. I’ve had various collections over the years and have only relatively recently come to appreciate their albums. This one kind of plays like a greatest hits album anyhow. What I think has changed in the last year or so for sure is that beautiful copies of this and Candy-O from Rhino HiFi have made me appreciate them more. Hell, I had an OG of Candy-O and thought it sounded great and couldn’t imagine it sounding better, but I grabbed it to save on shipping and wow, it could sound even better. I’m not gonna chase the best copies of every album out there but a great copy can change how you feel about it.

Our album here had the same effect. I knew it and didn’t have a vinyl copy and I was just floored by that vinyl… even though it never sounded like there was a veil on it, there was… there was so much more detail there. It’s gone from one of my favorites to one of my top five albums. It’s amazing.

Perfect.

Back