The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

This made me chuckle from the book:
…refused to make a straightforward sequel to 1986’s Control…they envisaged a What’s Going On for the looming 1990s.
Which is real funny considering that the next sentence admits that the social commentary is for all intents and purposes done when Miss You Much opens with “Get the point? Good, Let’s dance.”

Also, 7 #1 hits. Shit. Maybe it does belong. (Velvet Rope is still better, a masterpiece which stands tall with Voodoo if not quite at the level of What’s Going On?)

Is this a book? Or just a website list? Are there any latin/world artists included in the 1,001? If not, I'm inclined to start a thread to correct that. I lost track of this thread a while back, and definitely didn't start at the very start so I may have missed a few many albums.
Yes, it’s a book. I need to update the lists. There have been some Latin artists… Astrud Gilberto, Bebel Gilberto, Gilberto/Getz, Willie Colon and Rueben Blades. Maybe some others. It definitely has a British slant though.

Also, I’d really dig a book on Latin and other non English speaking artists.

This album's concept is half-baked at best

This sums up my issue with the album. I feel like the political aspect of the album just does not land (Outside of “Livin in a World” which is so surprising harrowing in an unexpected way). Songs like “The Knowledge” are pretty cringy in how surface level they are. But at the end of it I just really enjoy listening to this record. The production is top tier and the songs are just really good. Not quite as all killer nor filler as Control is but still really great. Listening to this album has confirmed my need to listen to more of her work. Easy 8/10

Is this a book? Or just a website list? Are there any latin/world artists included in the 1,001? If not, I'm inclined to start a thread to correct that. I lost track of this thread a while back, and definitely didn't start at the very start so I may have missed a few many albums.
This was from last week…
9/27/24
View attachment 214569
Milton Nascimento, Los Borges - Clube Da Esquina

It’s a list made by older UK music writers so that’s definitely the home base and it works out from there. It’s Classic Rock centric and skims the surface on other musical styles,

This sums up my issue with the album. I feel like the political aspect of the album just does not land (Outside of “Livin in a World” which is so surprising harrowing in an unexpected way). Songs like “The Knowledge” are pretty cringy in how surface level they are. But at the end of it I just really enjoy listening to this record. The production is top tier and the songs are just really good. Not quite as all killer nor filler as Control is but still really great. Listening to this album has confirmed my need to listen to more of her work. Easy 8/10
The next two albums are great! Janet and The Velvet Rope.

This was from last week…

It’s a list made by older UK music writers so that’s definitely the home base and it works out from there. It Classic Rock centric and skims the surface on other musical styles,
I don’t know man, there is a lot more 90s rock than I would have anticipated even outside the Brit Pop lean. Just for an idea of how stuff breaks down:
image.jpg

I guess there will be more Brazilian artists because Bossa Nova was a world wide phenomenon. Ruben Blades is a great example of salsa infused with political lyrics.
I'm sure Buena Vista Social Club is there too.
I'm talking about Youssou N'Dour or Jovanotti, artists that had truly world reach in the 90s at least.

This album's concept is half-baked at best, but the industrial new jack swing sound goes so hard that I don't even care. Strong 5/5.

favs: Rhythm Nation, Black Cat, State of the World, Miss You Much, Come Back to Me, The Knowledge
least fav: Lonely

I wonder if there is a 33 1/3 or other scholarly written book on the album. My thought is that a lot of the old spirituals that came from Southern slaves were gospel songs but also coded to be understood by those that sang and received them. I wonder if there is some understanding of this lying beneath the pop sheen of something like Miss You Much or Escapade. It’s also a bit of a statement to acknowledge the history here and then work to the pure pop bliss that ruled the charts in 1989. Sort of a you can hold us down but can’t contain us spirit to the whole thing. In some ways, it does work as a 90s production of a survey of Black American popular music after Johnny was good. I’m not smart or learned enough to explore that fully though. Would be interesting if someone has explored it. Like is it low key as rebellious as a PE record?

Last edited:
I guess there will be more Brazilian artists because Bossa Nova was a world wide phenomenon. Ruben Blades is a great example of salsa infused with political lyrics.
I'm sure Buena Vista Social Club is there too.
I'm talking about Youssou N'Dour or Jovanotti, artists that had truly world reach in the 90s at least.
There was some Arabian dude. There was a French record which I truly hated. There have been some African artists too.

I know it's probably Stockholm Syndrome at this point, but...............the gate is open! You can escape the book!
I love books on music man. I’m baffled by choices but really anyone’s book is gonna be quibbled over. I’m mostly here for the albums I’ve never heard (even if some are weird audio fantasies of being a suave version of @Mather or dudes wearing berets in smoky coffee houses). Book was worth it for the side excursion into the Manics if nothing else. I’ve bought like twenty of these things on vinyl because I love them.

Also it’s an achievement. Yeah, I listened to all the albums in that book. AMA.

I love books on music man. I’m baffled by choices but really anyone’s book is gonna be quibbled over. I’m mostly here for the albums I’ve never heard (even if some are weird audio fantasies of being a suave version of @Mather or dudes wearing berets in smoky coffee houses). Book was worth it for the side excursion into the Manics if nothing else. I’ve bought like twenty of these things on vinyl because I love them.

Also it’s an achievement. Yeah, I listened to all the albums in that book. AMA.
Uh...that was just a sophomoric joke in reference to the pic.

Back