The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

discogs genre labelling leaves a lot to be desired.... crowd sourcing....
I got in a big roil with someone on Discogs who wanted to include The Beach Boys SMiLEY SMiLE as a Lo-Fi record. I ultimately prevailed but it was a big ordeal and I ended up annoying a lot of people so I have decided it’s not worth my time to worry about those sort of things going forward.

I got in a big roil with someone on Discogs who wanted to include The Beach Boys SMiLEY SMiLE as a Lo-Fi record. I ultimately prevailed but it was a big ordeal and I ended up annoying a lot of people so I have decided it’s not worth my time to worry about those sort of things going forward.
that's my take on it. Let them do whatever they want, unless they hi-jack my normal release as some special edition or something.

2/28/2023

ab67616d0000b2738060f67c9dde5fe1327d545d

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Party - Love & Devotion

A review:

There are a couple I didn't come back to post on, this being one of them. A 5/5 for me. A voice so sublime and the music is definitely evocative of the title. Absolutely loved it, and have been reminded yet again I need to go deeper with Nusrat.

There are a couple I didn't come back to post on, this being one of them. A 5/5 for me. A voice so sublime and the music is definitely evocative of the title. Absolutely loved it, and have been reminded yet again I need to go deeper with Nusrat.
I just noticed last night while updating scores that the actual title on the list is devotional songs, which I think is the second half of this?

I just noticed last night while updating scores that the actual title on the list is devotional songs, which I think is the second half of this?

That would make sense. I didn't pay too close attention to where the delineation between one album and the other happened while I was listening, but I don't imagine my rating would change if it were only applying to either half of what we got on the Stupify.

That would make sense. I didn't pay too close attention to where the delineation between one album and the other happened while I was listening, but I don't imagine my rating would change if it were only applying to either half of what we got on the Stupify.
several folks complained about the length.

I've been keeping up with the albums, but I haven't had a chance to post my thoughts here for the last few.

Todd Rundgren was not for me, I gave it a 2/5 though I really like the cover art.
I gave Stevie a 3/5 but I probably should have bumped it to a 4.

I haven't listened to todays album yet but judging from the album art I have a feeling it won't be my thing. I will go in with an open mind though, I have definitely been surprised before when it comes to metal.

3/7/23
0baab4173f17b533403eeea8da06e662cfa6da75

Sepultura - Arise

Allmusic Review:

Roots is the only Sepultura album I've listened to before today - though I've heard the opening song somewhere along the way because it was very familiar. Anyway I could definitely use more Sepultura in my life. This was awesome. Definitely one of the styles of metal for me. 4+/5

I was pricing Roots vinyl on Discogs and noticed they list the album’s styles as Thrash and Nu-Metal. Thrash makes sense but Nu-Metal? This record came out during the Nu-Metal era but I don’t hear any hip-hop elements that you would normally associate with that style of music.

From what I remember of my shit music taste 99-01 the growler fella was later in a nu-metal band called Soulfly? Maybe that kinda sees all his stuff lumped in that bucket.

From what I remember of my shit music taste 99-01 the growler fella was later in a nu-metal band called Soulfly? Maybe that kinda sees all his stuff lumped in that bucket.

I can’t say I am familiar Soulfly but that could definitely be an explanation.

I had an album by them, I think Sean Lennon was a guest on it. I can’t really remember it all that much, from an over 20 year remove most of the music I listened to back then sort of blurs together into one big angry mush lol.
I don't think Soulfly qualify as Nu-Metal either. And I think Max Cavalera would fight that for either band. Thrash and groove metal, yes, but definitely not what Nu-Metal came to be famous for sounding like.

Back