The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

6/24/24
View attachment 206737
Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson

For some strange reason, Coconut is the only song that calms down my one year old daughter. I have to act out the lyrics like I'm in a Muppets sketch but she laughs and likes it.

I've been trying to learn the C7 chord on the guitar to play this for her but my fat fingers can't grasp it for too long. Also, haven't played in years and I need to practice more.

Alright then...
6/24/24
View attachment 206737
Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson

I can live, if living meant without Harry Nilsson. There, I said it.
That first half of the record is an absolute snoozefest.
It's also not the worst record I've heard. I actually don't mind "Without You" and "Coconut" is low-key fire. But my god does that first half drag this down.

Rating: 2/5 [Mediocre]

If there’s a song in this one that you’d dig. I bet it would be “Jump Into The Fire” which is almost post punk.
Not bad. But not good either.

Is that a good or a bad thing? Also what did the cover lead you to believe it would sound like?

She’s kind of unlike anyone. Maybe a bit like Joni (which is why I called on @Joe Mac )
I'm actually not sure. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't a big fan of her voice.

I honestly don't know what I was expecting. I obviously saw it was from 1968 but the album cover kind of has a 90's PJ Harvey or Tracy Bonham vibe. But I know it wasn't going to be that.

Is that a good or a bad thing? Also what did the cover lead you to believe it would sound like?

She’s kind of unlike anyone. Maybe a bit like Joni (which is why I called on @Joe Mac )

Hey sorry. I did see your tag. I’ve not been as active as maybe I have been in the past around here for one reason or another. I will try to give it a listen at some point.

6/25/24
View attachment 206799
Laura Nyro - Eli and the Thirteenth Confession

I picked this up on a whim one day while flipping through a bargain bin because I was so entranced by the cover. Love this record and reading about her story was fascinating

Back