The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Most reviews of Kid A were written before Amnesiac existed and they are intertwined, so after the fact it makes sense to talk about both.

Seems like Rolling Stone thinks Amnesiac is better but I haven’t finished the review yet. It could have a M Night Shyamalan twist for all I know.
Of course in those instances and I do think the albums are linked for sure but I also think Kid A stands on its own better.

Eldest is over tonight and I also got a big ol box from the Plaid sale. I don’t foresee that happening tonight (might have to do it soon though) - I don’t think I even ever listened to the bonus disc.

I don't own Kid A Mnesia, but the bonus disc contains one of my all time favorite Radiohead songs, Follow Me Around.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I checked out Lasers back in the day. The only thing I see in last.fm is Drill Music in Zion.
That’s the album that features the tune where he samples Modest Mouse “Float On”.

Being as he’s a Chicagoan, I wished I enjoyed his music more. I dig “Kick, Push” a decent amount. Most of his music is good but is lacking the thing that draws me back.

Last edited:
That’s the album that features the tune where he samples Modest Mouse “Float On”.

Being as he’s a Chicagoan, I wished I enjoyed his music more. I dig “Kick, Push” a decent amount. Most of his music is good but is lacking the thing that draws me back for more.
Yeah, that’s been the stand out so far. Most of it kind of sounds like Kanye trying to sound like Jay-Z while rapping about shit Common would rap about. It’s like a Lankum album. But yeah, there’s a spark missing.

Dylan's best album of the 70's. In some camps, Dylan's best album period.
I fall into that second camp.

I knew of Dylan, thought I disliked his voice. A buddy of mine in college was a big fan and when Dylan played a high school auditorium in a little town in Tennessee, I figured why not go.

I grabbed Freewheelin on CD from Grapevine Records in Boone a couple weeks before the show so I would know some stuff. The CD did not prepare me at all for the raucous show I witnessed.

By the time he played Tangled Up In Blue that night I had become a fan. I picked up today’s album the next day. It’s been my favorite since then.

He has other great albums (including Freewheelin) but this is the one that speaks to me most clearly and directly.

I fall into that second camp.

I knew of Dylan, thought I disliked his voice. A buddy of mine in college was a big fan and when Dylan played a high school auditorium in a little town in Tennessee, I figured why not go.

I grabbed Freewheelin on CD from Grapevine Records in Boone a couple weeks before the show so I would know some stuff. The CD did not prepare me at all for the raucous show I witnessed.

By the time he played Tangled Up In Blue that night I had become a fan. I picked up today’s album the next day. It’s been my favorite since then.

He has other great albums (including Freewheelin) but this is the one that speaks to me most clearly and directly.

You're probably in the majority. it's a great record.

Dylan's enjoyed such a ridiculously long career (like Neil) that there are so many home runs to choose from you see lots of variation from one fan to the next of their favorite and those can change from season to season and year to year.

If you ask ten fans of an artist to name their favorite record, and you get 5 different answers among them, that's a boss of a musician.

Dylan's best album of the 70's. In some camps, Dylan's best album period.

I can agree, although it's my second favourite Dylan album of the 70s; and my second favourite Dylan album overall. Desire is my personal #1.

That said, this was the first Dylan album I ever bought on CD (at the fresh young age of 23) and definitely opened the door for me. Like Lee I was familiar with his stuff before hearing this; a few songs I quite liked and a few I didn't get quite yet. About 6 or 8 months after I picked this one up, I wound up on the road for a few months with a friend who was hugely into Dylan and he gave me an extensive tutorial on Dylan's first six albums along the way. That was a good year.

Back