This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

November 8
Play a record from one of your favorite location-based scenes

The Verlaines - Hallelujah All The Way Home

View attachment 186969

Lots of great bands from Dunedin, New Zealand that formed in the early 1980s, including the Bats, the Clean, the Dead C, and the Chills. The Verlaines were the first of them that I had heard, as they had a great song on the No Alternative compilation.

I still love, love, love that Flying Nun sound

November 11
:::quiet Saturday morning:::
Shoot, you woke up way too early today even though you had plans to sleep in. No one else is up, it’s just you, your morning cup of coffee, and your turntable. What do you feel like playing to ease you into today?

Everything But The Girl "Amplified Heart" (1994 Blanco Y Negro; 2019 Buzzin' Fly Records reissue)
The music is nicely easing me into the day. The coffee tastes like bitter sewer water from hell.

IMG_0593.JPG

November 11

Shoot, you woke up way too early today even though you had plans to sleep in. No one else is up, it’s just you, your morning cup of coffee, and your turntable. What do you feel like playing to ease you into today?

Nick Drake would have been my go to - but probably Pink Moon. But I'll pick another artist (2 actually) just to mix it up a bit.

Andy Partridge & Harold Budd – Through The Hill
All Saints Records – WAST017LP, 1994/2013

Cut by Beau Thomas at Ten Eight Seven Mastering
Pressed at Optimal

TO7bZJL.jpg

U4budAT.jpg

November 9
“Oh yeah, I used to know those guys before they became huge. I served them coffee every day. They were cool then but their fame went to their heads.”

Play an artist from your hometown (or any of your previous homes of residence). Did you ever run into them?

From Buenos Aires:

Andrés Calamaro - Alta Suciedad

IMG_5960.jpeg

November 10
:::loud Friday night:::

You and your crew are about to head downtown for a real crazzzzy night. Play something that would get you in a dancing mood or excited about staying up way too late. Let’s face it though, you’re really just going to fall asleep while watching NCIS reruns in your recliner around nine o’clock tonight.

I'm now usually asleep at 10 pm and up at 5 am, but when I was younger this one a record like this would get me pumped for a night out.

The Chats - Get Fucked

IMG_5962.jpeg

Last edited:
November 11

Mandolin Orange - Such Jubilee

And the youth just finally woke up!

IMG_0736.jpeg

November 9
Play an artist from your hometown (or any of your previous homes of residence). Did you ever run into them?

Pearl Jam - Vitalogy

IMG_6373.jpeg

I lived in West Seattle for several years, which was a neighborhood where Seattle music icons could be seen just walking down California Ave running errands. I worked at a record store where local musicians would shop. Jeff Ament is one particular favorite because I knew him as a regular customer who liked talking about new music, long before I finally looked at the name on his credit card and realized who he was.

November 7
You’re sitting at a red light, playing your all-time favorite song at full volume in your car when the driver in the vehicle next to you makes eye contact. This stranger looks concerned about you and mouths the words: “Is that OMC’s ‘How Bizarre?!’”

Andrew Lloyd Webber – Jesus Christ Superstar: Live In Concert
20231111_123811.jpg

No guilt, no shame: I have an unabashed love for Jesus Christ Superstar, which has led to an absurd number of versions in my collection (10 currently.) I did order this one online, but only because that was the lowest price available.

JCS.jpg

November 11

Saturday afternoon post bike ride, still having coffee, everyone is out so its just me and the cat spin.

Madlib ~ Shades of Blue

IMG_4388.jpeg

IMG_4391.jpeg

Have been on the road for most of the month thus far, but home now and will do my best to catch up and hang with this challenge going forward.

November 6
“This is probably in my top 5 favorite acid-funk alternative jazz -country albums of all time.”

Play an album that is a perfect representation of one of your favorite musical genres. Why do you like this genre so much? What are some other artists/records that you’d recommend in this genre?

Sundays & Cybele – Gypsy House

I don't always listen to Japanese psych music, but when I do...

I love it. Kikagaku Moyo got me into the genre, and they remain one of my favorites, but I still love this Guruguru Brain release I picked up from VMP years ago. Playing it here as I think Sundays & Cybele deserve more exposure. Minami Deutsch is another worthy band in this genre, especially if you dig the krautrock.

IMG_8028.JPG

November 8
“You might have heard of them. They’re part of this new Estonia-Pop scene.”

Sons Of Kemet – Burn
20231111_141922.jpg

The South London scene has been killing it the past few years! Sons of Kemet may be no more, but they certainly helped put the scene firmly on the map.

Back home from work travel. Just woke up.

November 6
“This is probably in my top 5 favorite acid-funk alternative jazz -country albums of all time.”

Play an album that is a perfect representation of one of your favorite musical genres. Why do you like this genre so much? What are some other artists/records that you’d recommend in this genre?

Spellling - The Turning Wheel

20231111_143321.jpg

Art pop is my favorite genre of music.
At its core, there is still a "pop" context, in that there may be a rhythmic progression that can resemble a common time 4/4 time signature with nonchanging tempo. Or, it can certainly possess a "catchy" structure. Beyond these common tropes, the premise here is that art pop subverts your expectations from genres that you may already enjoy. This is done by taking elements from those genres, deconstructing them, and worldbuilding with a contemporary flair that provides a connection to the past. It is very common for the lyrical content of art pop music to be poetic and yet evasive. However, that does not imply that the music need be experimental or inaccessible to a casual listener, as there are artists in the art pop vein that exists at both ends of this spectrum.
As for starting points, that depends on your influence of choice!
  • The (in my opinion) pillars of the genre? Bjork, Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson
  • Electronic? FKA Twigs, SOPHIE, Sevdaliza
  • Music from Japan? Akiko Yano (矢野顕子), Sheena Ringo (椎名林檎), Susumu Hirasawa (平沢進)
  • Indie Rock? Stereolab, Everything Everything, St. Vincent
  • R&B? Janelle Monáe, Sudan Archives, Caroline Polachek
  • Singer/Songwriter? Fiona Apple, Arthur Russell, Half Waif
There's so much. Creative possibilities are endless. I can't cover anywhere close to all of it.
Here, Chrystia Cabral of Spellling takes immediate influence of her style from Kate Bush on The Turning Wheel. Also a top10 fave show from last year.

20221028_231021.jpg

November 7
You’re sitting at a red light, playing your all-time favorite song at full volume in your car when the driver in the vehicle next to you makes eye contact. This stranger looks concerned about you and mouths the words: “Is that OMC’s ‘How Bizarre?!’”
I know you bought an album that you had to order online because you were too embarrassed to buy it in person. Don’t be shy; play one of these “guilty pleasures.” Tell you what, to help out a bit: no explanation is necessary for this one.

Go-Go's – Beauty and the Beat

Not in the least bit embarrassed, but I'd say it counts a guilty pleasure.

IMG_8029.JPG

November 7

I know you bought an album that you had to order online because you were too embarrassed to buy it in person. Don’t be shy; play one of these “guilty pleasures.” Tell you what, to help out a bit: no explanation is necessary for this one.

Goldfinger - Stomping Ground

There were like six months that Goldfinger was my favorite band (in one whirlwind year, I went from whatever was on the radio to pop punk and ska to Radiohead). This was the first time ever I used Amazon, some time in 2000 or 2001. I bought it online because I would get in so much trouble if my stepmom ever found it, and had it delivered to a friend to pass to me. I hoped ordering the edited version of the CD would help me get a lesser punishment, but luckily a restraining order and divorce were in someone's near future and I didn't have to hide my music anymore.

Screenshot_20231111_151127_Apple Music.jpg

November 9
“Oh yeah, I used to know those guys before they became huge. I served them coffee every day. They were cool then but their fame went to their heads.”

Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle – Let's Just Stay Here
20231111_151901.jpg

Hometown is a nebulous one for me too, having separated parents meant I technically grew up in two provinces, and while the greater percentage was in the Greater Vancouver area it was ALL over the Greater Vancouver area. Instead l, though, I'm going to go with my adopted hometown of Victoria. The Victoria area has been mostly home for most of nearly two decades now, and will continue to be for the forseeable...

Carolyn Mark is a Victorian institution. In addition to her musical career she is one of the finest stage hosts around, with many a large festival under her belt but also the Sunday Hootenany at Logan's Pub (or Logan's Tavern of the Damned, depending on the gig or the season) - one of the finest open mics and collection of daytime drunks this town had to offer for many many years. She had a couple of great friends who would fill in while she was on tour, but probably hosted 40-45 Sundays a year.

This collaboration with Toronto band NQ Arbuckle is a longtime favourite of mine and got a LOT of play at the cafe I worked at in downtown Vic for nearly a decade. But we've crossed paths in at least a dozen cities and towns spread over three provinces through the years.

I lived a few blocks from Carolyn a couple times during the years, and sometimes wouldn't make it home because there'd be a gathering at her place that I'd stumble into along the way - including the best non-Christmas (because Dec. 25 is her birthday) party I've ever been too, which devolved into a whiskey fuelled 4 am psychedelic rock and poetry jam in the basement until sometime after the sun came up!

Back