This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

November 26
Review on Discogs: “THIS DESPERATELY NEEDS A REPRESS, PLEASE!!”
Response to above review from that one dude who makes the same comment for just about every title: “I’ve got the OG and it sounds great! Sounds better than any repress ever could. I would recommend trying to track down a $300 OG copy.”

The Uncluded – Hokey Fright

Besides a handful of singles, this is by far the biggest gap in my Aesop Rock vinyl collection (I do happen to have two copies on CD, though - because the first one I got was the dreaded CLEAN version - Yuck!) - only because copies of the only pressing ever (on picture disc, no less!) from 10+ years ago go for three figures. I really love this album, so I could see myself eventually dropping that kinda money on a copy - but I'd much rather they just repressed it. Last I recall hearing, though, Kimya and Aesop weren't on great terms, so I don't know how likely a repress or reissue would be.

November 24
“Hello, everyone! If you’re waiting in line only for the Taylor Swift RSD release, I’m sorry to say that we just sold our last copy”

Happy Black Friday, everyone. Did you participate in Record Store Day today? Did you get what you wanted? Play a record that you got today or a hot item from previous RSDs. If you’ve never participated, just play the last record you purchased.

Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom EP

20231127_163422.jpg

I dislike Record Store Day in general. I did not participate this year and have not participated since my first one in 2020, when this was one of the releases. I actually did not get this one in person despite waiting in line for ~1.5hrs and being 3rd in line. There was only one copy at 2nd Ave Records, and of course one of the guys in front of me took it to flip (it was obvious he had no interest in owning).
Luckily, @Ericj32 was in PDX for this year's RSD, and secured a copy for me at Music Millennium, while I got him something on his wantlist that happened to be exactly the same price. Everything worked out...

November 26
Response to above review from that one dude who makes the same comment for just about every title: “I’ve got the OG and it sounds great! Sounds better than any repress ever could. I would recommend trying to track down a $300 OG copy.”

What album do you wish would be pressed or repressed? Do you think it’ll ever happen? You may have to dig into your CDs or tapes for this one. Screenshot of a streaming is also likely/allowed.

Please!

IMG_6322 2.PNG

November 25
“It’s beginning to look a lot like…”

Play one of your favorite holiday albums. When do you remember first hearing this? Yesss, I understand some of you hate holiday music. You may play an album that reminds you of winter months or wintery weather, if you wish.

Yutaka Hirose (広瀬豊) - Nova +4

20231127_210641.jpg

Cold, cavernous Japanese ambient/environmental/minimal soundscapes. It sounds like the album cover.

Day 19: RIYL N&G

Brian Dunne - Loser on the Ropes
View attachment 188742
One of the (many) people that make N&G such a great place to hang is @Twentytwo . Not only does he keep the Pre-Orders Thread humming a full speed but he also has his finger on the pulse of the Americana scene. Not only did he bring the Aforementioned Izaak Opatz to the attention of many on here but he recently shined a light on this album that has become a favorite of mine as well.

Thanks, yeah it is definitely one of my favorites this year. I enjoyed his last record as well. Still need to pick up the import of his that has some songs from his first album.

November 27
(opening gift): “Ohhh. Cool. ‘Foghat’s Greatest Hits CD.’ Very cool. Thanks, Uncle Gary.”

Play a record that you received as a gift or was recommended to you by a friend or relative. Do you even like it? Are you only keeping it because it was a gift? Do I need to direct you to the PIF forum again?

Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, The Innocent & The E street Shuffle

Have a good friend who we regularly talk music and grab a beverage or two, he gave me a few older titles a while back and this was in there. Solid record, but I gotta be in that Bruce listening mode for it.

IMG_0840.jpeg

November 28
“Whoa, this one takes me back”

Here’s just a little neuroanatomy for you, just so I can get it out of my system: the auditory cortex (where sound is perceived) and amygdala (responsible for emotions) both have connections to the hippocampus, which has a major role in memory. This could explain why hearing a song from our past quickly brings up memories, emotions, and even certain smells (the olfactory bulb is also close to these structures). Okay, I’m all done with that. Play a record that brings up strong emotions, memories, or smells.

Son Volt - Trace

This one brings up the record store I used to hang at when I shoulda been working, a great friend that I’ve seen them with numerous times, and park concerts.

IMG_0841.jpeg

November 28

Here’s just a little neuroanatomy for you, just so I can get it out of my system: the auditory cortex (where sound is perceived) and amygdala (responsible for emotions) both have connections to the hippocampus, which has a major role in memory. This could explain why hearing a song from our past quickly brings up memories, emotions, and even certain smells (the olfactory bulb is also close to these structures). Okay, I’m all done with that. Play a record that brings up strong emotions, memories, or smells.

You know that scene in Ratatouille where Anton Ego tastes the ratatouille and is instantly transported back to his childhood? That's this album for me.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young ~ Deja Vu

IMG_4715.jpeg

November 28

Son Volt - Trace

This one brings up the record store I used to hang at when I shoulda been working, a great friend that I’ve seen them with numerous times, and park concerts.

View attachment 188901
Damn you. I was going to play this today

Day 27: A Very Special Something

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
IMG_9355.jpeg
My SO is excellent at giving gifts. This one was out of the blue. We’d only been out West since August and we’re still establishing ourselves so I wasn’t expecting anything too big for my birthday so this a very pleasant surprise, this was the first box set added in my collection.

November 27
(opening gift): “Ohhh. Cool. ‘Foghat’s Greatest Hits CD.’ Very cool. Thanks, Uncle Gary.”

Play a record that you received as a gift or was recommended to you by a friend or relative. Do you even like it? Are you only keeping it because it was a gift? Do I need to direct you to the PIF forum again?

I am really bad at remembering where/how I acquired records. Other than through the forums here, I don't get gifted too many records. My wife has only bought one for me in 20+ years of being together. My friends and family aren't into records.

I'm gonna go with a record I got from last years Secret Santa. My Santa was @Crabbers and they did a great job finding releases I would like and didn't have. Which is the reason my friends/family don't buy me records - I can be hard to buy for.

Yes, I like it.
No, I'm keeping it because I like it.
No thanks, I'm good.

Incubus – S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
Epic/Immortal Records/Legacy – 88765405201, 1997/2013

Aaf28sD.jpg

hKBSZIO.jpg

As mentioned in the Discogs comments, this release is plagued by non-fill. May have to look into seeing if a different reissue has ever been released, but it's not a high priority - as it really doesn't affect the sound. EDIT- looks like there is a Music On Vinyl release available.

PntdlNP.jpg

Day 28: In My Garage

Weezer - The Blue Album
IMG_9356.jpeg

This record is attached to a multitude of memories. I remember being mesmerized by the video for “Undone (The Sweater Song)” when the t first arrived to MTV in the Summer of 1994, The Blue Album quickly became the soundtrack to 7th Grade. “Say It Ain’t So” was one of the first songs that I ever felt genuine nostalgia for. I remember being a a college house party and towards the end of the evening when the kegs were tapped out the song started to play and there was an impromptu sing along. It one of those magical moments that stays with you. There are probably hundreds of other moments and memories attached to this album both great and small over the nearly 30 years since the albums release.

Last edited:
Day 28: In My Garage

Weezer - The Blue Album
View attachment 188932

This record is attached to a multitude of memories. I remember being mesmerized by the video for “Undone (The Sweater Song)” when the t first arrived to MTV in the Summer of 1994, The Blue Album quickly became the soundtrack to 7th Grade. “Say It Ain’t So” was one of the first songs that I ever felt genuine nostalgia for. I remember being a a college house party and towards the end of the evening when the kegs were tapped out the song started to play and there was an impromptu sing along. It one of those magical moments that stays with you. Their are hundreds of other moments and memories attached to this album both great and small over the nearly 30 years since the albums release.

This was the first album I thought of for this prompt - but I don't actually have a copy!

November 26

What album do you wish would be pressed or repressed? Do you think it’ll ever happen? You may have to dig into your CDs or tapes for this one. Screenshot of a streaming is also likely/allowed.

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol. II

SAW2.PNG

It'll never happen. Richard is known for destroying his own tapes. Hopes of anything aside from the grim truth is delusion.

Back