This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

Day 14: “Where’d That Come From“
AC/DC - Highway To Hell
IMG_9282.jpeg

I purchased this one last year during the Walmart Black Friday sale and it’s remained sealed in my recent arrival stack since. I enjoy the album enough to keep it in my collection but I’ve listened to a lot of AC/DC over my lifetime making it hard to get too excited about actually spinning it.

November 23
“IIIIIIII… want to thaaank you.. for giving me the best day of my liiiiife”

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I’m thankful for all of you making it this far. Play an album/song that represents what you’re most thankful for, or just a record that you are thankful to own.

I'm thankful that my wife and daughter also don't like huge meals where I have to cook for 12 hours straight. I just had to make the cornbread dressing and smoke the turkey for about 4 hours, which is easy.

Also a Thanksgiving day tradition is the MST3K Turkey Day Marathon...which I had on my basement tv all day - and also on my phone when I had to cook something.

Mostly thankful that MST3K still has their Turkey Day Marathon.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 – The Complete Clowns In The Sky
Shout! Factory – SF 20355, 2009/2019

Limited to 1,000 copies on split Crow (gold & black) and Servo (red & white) vinyl.

Pressed at GZ

E8KxhJ.jpg

dEwMZw.jpg

November 24
“Hello, everyone! If you’re waiting in line only for the Taylor Swift RSD release, I’m sorry to say that we just sold our last copy”

Happy Black Friday, everyone. Did you participate in Record Store Day today? Did you get what you wanted? Play a record that you got today or a hot item from previous RSDs. If you’ve never participated, just play the last record you purchased.

Does buying online the next day count as participating? If yes, then sure - I participated a few times.

Since I have to wait for those to ship, I'll pick from the early RSD's I did participate in person...at least later in the afternoon, I never went early and stood in line for records. In the early years you really didn't have to to get what you wanted.

Grateful Dead – Winterland May 30th 1971
Rhino Records – R1 532371, 2012

#BFRSD12 - Limited to 7500 copies

Cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering
Pressed at RTI

1VrBKvS.jpg

dju5p0q.jpg

November 24
“Hello, everyone! If you’re waiting in line only for the Taylor Swift RSD release, I’m sorry to say that we just sold our last copy”

Aimee Mann - Bachelor No. 2…

IMG_6425.jpeg

I usually try so hard to avoid the fomo on RSDs but this title was one that had been long awaited and thus got me up early and first in line (never really difficult to achieve in this town, to be honest) that morning

November 25
“It’s beginning to look a lot like…”

Play one of your favorite holiday albums. When do you remember first hearing this? Yesss, I understand some of you hate holiday music. You may play an album that reminds you of winter months or wintery weather, if you wish.

I would be breaking my own personal rule about playing Christmas music before December 1st - so I'm going with the "wintery months/weather" option. And because I know so many of you love nu-metal as much as I do.

Mudvayne – The End Of All Things To Come
SRC Vinyl – SRC072, 2002/2017

Cut by Stan Ricker
Pressed at RTI

snBDieR.jpg

PItXJLa.jpg

November 26

What album do you wish would be pressed or repressed? Do you think it’ll ever happen? You may have to dig into your CDs or tapes for this one. Screenshot of a streaming is also likely/allowed.

Cornershop - When I was Born for the 7th Time

For the love of god can someone please reissue this on vinyl. That is all I want. This album only had a limited vinyl run back in 1997. Well overdue for a good vinyl pressing.
IMG_0075.jpeg

November 25

Various Artists - Christmas In the Northwest

IMG_6424.jpeg

I confess that I am a sucker for Christmas music, especially records from my childhood. I’ve got a whole crate of Christmas albums that comes out after Thanksgiving. This record is particularly special, although admittedly very cheesy.

November 26

What album do you wish would be pressed or repressed? Do you think it’ll ever happen? You may have to dig into your CDs or tapes for this one. Screenshot of a streaming is also likely/allowed.

Cornershop - When I was Born for the 7th Time

For the love of god can someone please reissue this on vinyl. That is all I want. This album only had a limited vinyl run back in 1997. Well overdue for a good vinyl pressing.
View attachment 188686

I’ll sign that petition, for sure

November 26
Review on Discogs: “THIS DESPERATELY NEEDS A REPRESS, PLEASE!!”
Response to above review from that one dude who makes the same comment for just about every title: “I’ve got the OG and it sounds great! Sounds better than any repress ever could. I would recommend trying to track down a $300 OG copy.”

I usually post something from my "rare" collection that I would be fine with a reissue/repress, but I'm going to go with something that I actually would like to see released on vinyl.

This got a vinyl release in Europe back in 1996, and it seems to be quite rare - and expensive. Rob Zombie has gone on to release 2 of these remix albums, Mondo Sex Head even has some White Zombie tracks, but they haven't gone back to reissue this one - and it's the best of the 3.

At this point, I'm not holding my breath for a reissue - but you never know. It better not be some rare RSD only release.

White Zombie – Supersexy Swingin' Sounds
Geffen Records – GEFD-24976, 1996

iSwWs2I.jpg

November 25

Play one of your favorite holiday albums. When do you remember first hearing this? Yesss, I understand some of you hate holiday music. You may play an album that reminds you of winter months or wintery weather, if you wish.

Low - Christmas

One of the best!

IMG_0835.jpeg

November 26
Response to above review from that one dude who makes the same comment for just about every title: “I’ve got the OG and it sounds great! Sounds better than any repress ever could. I would recommend trying to track down a $300 OG copy.”

Cotton Mather - Kontiki

I’ve been waiting for a reasonably priced reissue of this since I returned to vinyl, and actually had one purchased from the artist until it was found out they had run out a few years back. Missed a reissue a couple years back over the pond. My favorite Power Pop record.

IMG_0836.png

Day 26: Review on Discogs: “THIS DESPERATELY NEEDS A REPRESS, PLEASE!!”

Jackie Wilson - The Jackie Wilson Story

IMG_7653.jpeg

A re-press/reissue of Jackie Wilson’s studio catalogue has been at the top of my wishlist for a few years now. Just a few days ago I’d found out there was a reissue of “Higher and Higher” earlier this year, so there’s still hope!

Day 16: “I Like This?”

Shadowfax - Too Far To Whisper
IMG_9284.jpeg
One of the nerdiest rabbit holes I’ve tumbled down of late has been New Age music. Particularly mid 80s Windham Hill records, this band is a bit poppier than much of the New Age albums in that they actually have a singer, also the band is named after Gandolf’s Horse which is efffing awesome!

Last edited:
Day 17: 💰 💰 💰

Dinosaur (Jr.) - You’re Living All Over Me
IMG_9285.jpeg

I’ve paid more for box sets but as far as single LPs go, this was listed for $150 at local. As someone who initially got into this hobby due to the fact that vinyl was so cheap compared to CDs, this price is bonkers.I rarely sell albums so thankfully I had more than enough to offer in trade to get one for nothing out of pocket made it worthwhile. The reason this record was so expensive is because it’s an original SST pressing or one of their seminal albums that still has the band old name on the cover, they would be forced to add the “Jr.” shortly after this initial release and all subsequent copies would display the bands new name, Dinosaur Jr.

Day 18: Local Record Store Fun Find

Black Tambourine - Black Tambourine
IMG_9287.jpeg
I wasn’t familiar with Black Tambourine, the Proto-Shoegaze DC based Indie Pop group from the late 80s until Slumberland put out this comp in 2010 around the same time I was enjoying many of the indie pop bands that they’d influenced, Vivian Girls, Summer Camp, Cults, The Johnny Boy, Best Coast, Love Is All, etc… anyways, this hasn’t been reissued since 2010 and has since become somewhat uncommon to find so when my local, Hi-Voltage Records here in Tacoma got a copy in the “Recent Arrivals” bin I had to jump.

November 26

The Smithereens "Especially For You" (1986 EMI Japan)
Ok, I already own vintage copies of these records, but still none of the three Smithereens albums from '86, '88 and '89 have been reissued. This music is really great and deserves a reissue so that more people can experience this top notch power pop. A little box set maybe?

IMG_0668.JPG

Day 17: 💰 💰 💰

Dinosaur (Jr.) - You’re Living All Over Me
View attachment 188721

I’ve paid more for box sets but as far as single LPs go, this was listed for $150 at local. As someone who initially got into this hobby due to the fact that vinyl was so cheap compared to CDs, this price is bonkers.I rarely sell albums so thankfully I had more than enough to offer in trade to get one for nothing out of pocket made it worthwhile. The reason this record was so expensive is because it’s an original SST pressing or one of their seminal albums that still has the band old name on the cover, they would be forced to add the “Jr.” shortly after this initial release and all subsequent copies would display the bands new name, Dinosaur Jr.

I had a OG SST copy that I bought used in the late 80s. A friend had a fire in the early 2000's in his apartment building that spread to his suite and he lost everything, including a copy of this. I have him my copy and he still has it. The record is in a generic sleeve for play and the cover is framed on his office wall.

Back