This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

November 6
“This is probably in my top 5 favorite acid-funk alternative jazz -country albums of all time.”

Play an album that is a perfect representation of one of your favorite musical genres. Why do you like this genre so much? What are some other artists/records that you’d recommend in this genre?

RIYL R.E.M (especially the IRS era albums)

Various - Strum & Thrum - The American Jangle Underground 1983 - 1987

View attachment 186661

I've rearranged my gear and I'm testing a new pic setup. I realize now it looks similar to @Turbo 's style.... I'll try some other options.
Love this compilation

November 7
I know you bought an album that you had to order online because you were too embarrassed to buy it in person. Don’t be shy; play one of these “guilty pleasures.” Tell you what, to help out a bit: no explanation is necessary for this one.

Icicle Works - s/t

I don’t believe in guilty pleasures, but damn, those 80s roto-toms on Whisper to a Scream sound amazing on vinyl!!

The weird thing with this album is pretty much every pressing has a different track order
IMG_0036.jpg

November 4
You: “If you like _____, then you’ll DEFINITELY love _______. This is THE BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR!!”
Them: :::crickets:::

What is one of your favorite artists/records that you feel is criminally underrated or ignored and makes you question your taste in music because no one else is raving about it? Now is the time to sell us on it!

Reigning Sound. Anyone surprised?
What a great set this live album is...I could handle another couple sides.

IMG_6037.JPG

November 5
You: “Excuse me, but could you special order two records for me?”
Record store clerk: “Sure thing! Which ones?”
You: “um, Chicago’s 19 and also their fourth Christmas album”
Record store clerk: “Uhh…”
You: “I made the mistake of buying their first record and now I have to own them all.”

Which band/musician made you “go down the rabbit hole,” making you feel the need to buy everything they ever put out? What? You never did that? You have incredible will-power, you say? Ohhh well good for you! Play whatever you want then, I don’t care.

This one is tough. I'm trying to complete my Joni Mitchell and Tom Waits collections, along with a few other artists. But I decided to go with a more recent deep dive of mine: Jason Molina. This forum led me to him, and now I've been collecting releases by Magnolia Electric Company and Songs: Ohia. I'm sure I'll find plenty more to purchase, like his solo stuff etc. So I'll spin this one today; only the second time I've played it so far.

IMG_6038.JPG

November 4
You: “If you like _____, then you’ll DEFINITELY love _______. This is THE BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR!!”

What is one of your favorite artists/records that you feel is criminally underrated or ignored and makes you question your taste in music because no one else is raving about it? Now is the time to sell us on it!

Reigning Sound. Anyone surprised?
What a great set this live album is...I could handle another couple sides.

View attachment 186684
I almost played these guys too! Shattered is such a great record.

November 7
You’re sitting at a red light, playing your all-time favorite song at full volume in your car when the driver in the vehicle next to you makes eye contact. This stranger looks concerned about you and mouths the words: “Is that OMC’s ‘How Bizarre?!’”
I know you bought an album that you had to order online because you were too embarrassed to buy it in person. Don’t be shy; play one of these “guilty pleasures.” Tell you what, to help out a bit: no explanation is necessary for this one.

20230124_001338.jpg

November 8
“You might have heard of them. They’re part of this new Estonia-Pop scene.”

Play a record from one of your favorite location-based scenes. Were you into this trend while it was happening, or did you discover it after it was all over?

I grew up in Southern California in the 70's so that era / location of artists is embedded in my core. Going with this particular album as its recorded near / named after Zuma Beach, which is one of the beaches we'd go to growing up.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse ~ Zuma

IMG_4350.jpeg

November 8
Play a record from one of your favorite location-based scenes. Were you into this trend while it was happening, or did you discover it after it was all over?

Green River - Rehab Doll

The great thing living so close to Seattle in the late 80s and early 90s is I got to see a lot of Sub Pop bands in the BN (before Nevermind), including Mudhoney, Mookie Blaylock, Screaming Trees, Nirvana, TAD and way too many Soundgarden shows.
IMG_0037.jpg

November 4

Wax Mannequin – The Red Brain
20231108_142829.jpg

Probably the best thing to ever come out of Hamilton, Ontario, I don't understand how Wax Mannequin isn't way more famous. From the quirky angry beauty of his songwriting to the at-times-almost-unsettling energy of his live performances he is just absolutely fantastic. I've seen him dozens of times, and would still drop everything to see him 99 times out of 100.

Last edited:
November 6
“This is probably in my top 5 favorite acid-funk alternative jazz -country albums of all time.”

Play an album that is a perfect representation of one of your favorite musical genres. Why do you like this genre so much? What are some other artists/records that you’d recommend in this genre?

Greyboy Allstars - This Town Called Earth

I do like a lot of genres, but one of the binding things among them all for me is funky. I love great grooves, and they are so prevalent with GBA. I almost played these folks for the Day 5 prompt but decided to save them for today.
As far as other bands I'd recommend with this particular kind of groove - @Turbo hit on a few of them as well - Delvon Lamar, Jimmy Smith, Rusty Bryant.

IMG_6039.JPG

November 5
You: “Excuse me, but could you special order two records for me?”
Record store clerk: “Sure thing! Which ones?”
You: “um, Chicago’s 19 and also their fourth Christmas album”
Record store clerk: “Uhh…”
You: “I made the mistake of buying their first record and now I have to own them all.”

Steve Earle – Jerusalem
20231108_152815.jpg

Sun Ra was too obvious, and there have been a great number of these artists through the years - I figured I'd go with one of my currents. One year ago today I had 3 Steve Earle releases in my vinyl collection, today I have 25. I've generally enjoyed his music as long as I've heard it hear and there through the years, but something really started clicking into place over the past year or two until I dropped fully into the rabbit hole. Now, the handful of albums I still have to acquire generally go for mucho dollars, so it'll be slow going through the last few, barring any reissues. In fact, I'm kicking myself today for missing an opportunity to get a rather expensive, but quite a bit less expensive than the rest sealed copy of El Corazón I'd been eying for a few months. But so it goes.

November 7
You’re sitting at a red light, playing your all-time favorite song at full volume in your car when the driver in the vehicle next to you makes eye contact. This stranger looks concerned about you and mouths the words: “Is that OMC’s ‘How Bizarre?!’”

I suppose it's not very fashionable to still be listening to Nu-Metal in 2023...some may say it was never fashionable it its heyday.

The hype sticker that was on this read -

"The Nu Metal Tour De Force"

Various – Queen Of The Damned (Music From The Motion Picture)
Warner Sunset Records – 093624899471, 2002/2019

F.Y.E. exclusive - limited to 1500

Pressed at GZ

hXXtKzV.jpg

U1RBqA8.jpg

November 8

I was a bit young when the Paisley Underground became a thing in California - with the exception of The Bangles, not much was on MTV in the early 80's that I can recall.

A nice recent release is The Bangles • The Three O'Clock • The Dream Syndicate • Rain Parade – 3×4, where the 4 bands cover songs from the other 3.

The Three O'Clock – Baroque Hoedown
Frontier Records – FLP 1010, 1982

Cut by John Golden at K Disc Mastering

Tu0aVgF.jpg

m3CTHYf.jpg

Last edited:
November 4

The Tubs - Dead Meat

IMG_6358.jpeg

This is still my album of the year, despite it coming out within the first few months. It’s all the stuff I love, sounding like Richard and Linda Thompson singing for Lifes Rich Pageant-era REM. Who wouldn’t want to listen to that?

November 8

I was a bit young when the Paisley Underground became a thing in California - with the exception of The Bangles, not much was on MTV in the early 80's that I can recall.

A nice recent release is The Bangles • The Three O'Clock • The Dream Syndicate • Rain Parade – 3×4, where the 4 bands cover songs from the other 3.

The Three O'Clock – Baroque Hoedown
Frontier Records – FLP 1010, 1982

Cut by John Golden at K Disc Mastering

Tu0aVgF.jpg

m3CTHYf.jpg
The good ole days when a mini-lp left you nice and satisfied

November 6

The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps

I'm not much of a genre purist, but when it comes to bands that mix shoegaze, Britpop, electronics and bit of reggae, you'll have a hard time finding better than this.

For other shoegaze blends, Chapterhouse's second album and Curve's discography meld shoegaze and electronic/dance in cool ways, and Lush straddle the Britpop/shoegaze line pretty wonderfully.

20231108_184700.jpg

Back