Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

Seems like the EL34's have more bass. That "normal"? First time using different tubes and I'm impressed with how much difference there really is

Surprised at more bass to be honest, I hadn’t found that with them, you are running double the amount of them though. That tube gets raved about for its mids.

PS. Did you switch the amp to low bias if you’re running all 8 EL34? They run on a lower setting that the KT tubes.

Surprised at more bass to be honest, I hadn’t found that with them, you are running double the amount of them though. That tube gets raved about for its mids.

PS. Did you switch the amp to low bias if you’re running all 8 EL34? They run on a lower setting that the KT tubes.
Yeah I'm surprised too to be honest. I did flip the switch to EL34. Also entirety possible I'm full of it and just noticing it more. 🤷‍♂️ my ears are good but not particularly incredible

Can’t believe I’ve had the Luna for 3 years and 3 months now. I still love it as much as the day it arrived, this will never leave my system.

Decided to spend a bit of time without the tube cage on.

View attachment 213133View attachment 213134
Nice!

A few questions:

- What preamp are you using with your 300 Power amp?
- Why did you choose the 300 over the other options?
- Have you tube rolled or are the stock tubes good enough?

Nice!

A few questions:

- What preamp are you using with your 300 Power amp?
- Why did you choose the 300 over the other options?
- Have you tube rolled or are the stock tubes good enough?

I’m using a PS Audio Gain Cell. I went for that because it had a fully class a preamp but also the DAC for my streaming and cd transport. I had that before the PrimaLuna because I previously ran a pair of quad qii forty mono blocks.

I picked the 300 because it had all the upgraded transformers and the xlr balanced input the same as the 400 but only needed 4 power tubes. I didn’t need the extra power and 8 power tubes begins to get spendy. For my money the 300 is the sweet spot of their line.

I’ve never used the stock power tubes, I’m not a EL34 fan. I’ve always used KT88. First I used Gold Lion and then EH but given Ukraine I don’t want to buy Russian and they’ve gone super expensive. Currently swapping in ruby tubes ones when one goes, they’re built to order in the JJ factory. The Gold Lion are my favs.

Down the line id like to try KT170 if Ukraine prevails.

Last edited:
I’m using a PS Audio Gain Cell. I went for that because it had a fully class a preamp but also the DAC for my streaming and cd transport. I had that before the PrimaLuna because I previously ran a pair of quad qii forty mono blocks.

I picked the 300 because it had all the upgraded transformers and the xlr balanced input the same as the 400 but only needed 4 power tubes. I didn’t need the extra power and 8 power tubes begins to get spendy. For my money the 300 is the sweet spot of their line.

I’ve never used the stock power tubes, I’m not a EL34 fan. I’ve always used KT88. First I used Gold Lion and then EH but given Ukraine I don’t want to buy Russian and they’ve gone super expensive. Currently swapping in ruby tubes ones when one goes, they’re built to order in the JJ factory. The Gold Lion are my favs.

Down the line id like to try KT170 if Ukraine prevails.
That Gain Cell looks nice. Looks like they can be had for around $900 on the used market. Have you compared the DAC in the Gain Cell to other DACs? If so, how does is compare?

I'm in the market for a preamp and was leaning towards something with tubes like the Schiit Freya+, but may need to reconsider and take a look at PS Audio. Maybe I'll wait until there PS Stellar Gold Preamps go on sale or start showing up on the used market $4k new is a little steep for me for a preamp.

That Gain Cell looks nice. Looks like they can be had for around $900 on the used market. Have you compared the DAC in the Gain Cell to other DACs? If so, how does is compare?

I'm in the market for a preamp and was leaning towards something with tubes like the Schiit Freya+, but may need to reconsider and take a look at PS Audio. Maybe I'll wait until there PS Stellar Gold Preamps go on sale or start showing up on the used market $4k new is a little steep for me for a preamp.

The DAC in it is really nice but the USB input is errrrr, eccentric at best, fucked at worst. Doesn’t bother me so much because I’m using I2S and Coax but it’s definitely an issue. I have no comparators though, it’s the only DAC I’ve had. I do like how the preamp section sounds too.

That schiit was something I was looking at when I was considering changing it a while back, itchy feet then, but I got past that and will probably stick with the GCD for the next while now.

Last edited:
Back