Vinyl Me Please Country

At this point I will probably be 3 for 3 unless the Waylon box set shows up again in swaps. I can't see myself signing up for another year of VMP next year unless I get a bunch of referral credits like I did this year. Three years and so many big artists they haven't touched and I don't understand. Too many artists have been done twice, no offense to Willie, Waylon and Sturgill and Chalino.

I know I’ve said this before but I didn’t listen to Nickel Creek for years because Nickelback.
A few days ago I decided to listen to a Nickelback song to see if I remembered any. After poor ticket sales for the Friday night of a local radio station holiday concert, they combined those bands with the Saturday night lineup. This is how I ended up seeing Nickelback in concert before they'd had any traction in the US yet. They put on a great show and I thought they were ok. A few years later and they were polluting the radio non-stop with their formulaic crap. Still I didn't get all the hate, just not a band I cared to follow. But I tried a few days ago and it's much worse than I remembered. Their first two albums still are pretty inoffensive rock, but as they broke out their sound became a symptom of everything I disliked about mainstream rock radio at the time. It's very cringe inducing.

If you spent any time in a Moose Lodge in the 80s, Ronnie Milsap will resonate, but otherwise that is a real moment in time selection which I can't see them moving for years. weird choice. might as well tee up some Eddie Rabbitt or Crystal Gayle next quarter.
My great grandparents used to take me to the Friday Night walleye fish fry at the Pontiac Moose Lodge occasionally when I was a little kid and I was born in 1981 so maybe it will resonate with me more than I think.

A few days ago I decided to listen to a Nickelback song to see if I remembered any. After poor ticket sales for the Friday night of a local radio station holiday concert, they combined those bands with the Saturday night lineup. This is how I ended up seeing Nickelback in concert before they'd had any traction in the US yet. They put on a great show and I thought they were ok. A few years later and they were polluting the radio non-stop with their formulaic crap. Still I didn't get all the hate, just not a band I cared to follow. But I tried a few days ago and it's much worse than I remembered. Their first two albums still are pretty inoffensive rock, but as they broke out their sound became a symptom of everything I disliked about mainstream rock radio at the time. It's very cringe inducing.
Surprising no one, I could not tell you the name of or difference between a Shinedown or Nickelback song.

Back