Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Trying to make a decision on VMP Madlib Shades of Blue over the Blue Note Classics press. Cogs reviews seemed to make sense to me, seems KG mastered Shades of Blue like a jazz album for Blue Note and not a boom bap hip hop record and its supposedly lacking in the bottom end and a bit bright up top?

Can anyone back that up, or inversely, is anyone disappointed with their VMP Shades of Blue?

Cicely Boston has done a great job with a lot of the VMP hip hop records, did that continue?

Trying to make a decision on VMP Madlib Shades of Blue over the Blue Note Classics press. Cogs reviews seemed to make sense to me, seems KG mastered Shades of Blue like a jazz album for Blue Note and not a boom bap hip hop record and its supposedly lacking in the bottom end and a bit bright up top?

Can anyone back that up, or inversely, is anyone disappointed with their VMP Shades of Blue?

Cicely Boston has done a great job with a lot of the VMP hip hop records, did that continue?
My VMP Shades sounds really good. Lots of low end but still dynamic. Haven't heard the BN Classic to compare but I'm happy with the VMP.

I've only heard positive things about the VMP one around here. I haven't heard much about the BNC one. I would definitely love a solid A/B rundown of the two of someone is able.

My VMP Shades sounds really good. Lots of low end but still dynamic. Haven't heard the BN Classic to compare but I'm happy with the VMP.
Only have the VMP version, but my review is the same as @marshall . I'm happy with it!

Can anyone who has other copies of the Modest Mouse or Interpol records that VMP has done comment on how the VMP editions compare with those versions? I've got an original Interpol and the 2014 Modest Mouse. Both sound pretty good (or about as good as I'd expect these indie records to sound). Did one of those benefit from the VMP reissue treatment more than the other?

I try to avoid doubling up, but I just resubscribed for 3 months and get a free record. I thought I'd get a coupon to use whenever I wanted, but they now require you to pick by the end of the month or miss out. Although there are a few VMP records I want, they aren't available as bonus records. Again, not crazy about doubling up, but I just listened to both of these records today and forgot how much I enjoyed them at different times in my life.

Can anyone who has other copies of the Modest Mouse or Interpol records that VMP has done comment on how the VMP editions compare with those versions? I've got an original Interpol and the 2014 Modest Mouse. Both sound pretty good (or about as good as I'd expect these indie records to sound). Did one of those benefit from the VMP reissue treatment more than the other?

I try to avoid doubling up, but I just resubscribed for 3 months and get a free record. I thought I'd get a coupon to use whenever I wanted, but they now require you to pick by the end of the month or miss out. Although there are a few VMP records I want, they aren't available as bonus records. Again, not crazy about doubling up, but I just listened to both of these records today and forgot how much I enjoyed them at different times in my life.

I have the Modest Mouse 2014 version and the VMP and the VMP version sounds better on my setup. The VMP version almost sounds like a wet blanket was lifted off the previous version. Recommended.

I have the Modest Mouse 2014 version and the VMP and the VMP version sounds better on my setup. The VMP version almost sounds like a wet blanket was lifted off the previous version. Recommended.
Thanks! I went with the Modest Mouse. Maybe I can do someone who's considering buying the RSD Essential picture disc that was announced today a favor and sell them my 2014 copy. Who thinks a picture disc is a good way to celebrate an enduring classic? Isaac must have been talking to Robert Smith.

Back