Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

This is incredibly dumb for 2 reasons - While there are outliers like Nathan, for the overwhelming majority of these, someone *did* pay for it. To denigrate them like this is a bad look. And even more egregious, these are the types of people you should be aggressively courting the most instead of actively doing things that push them away. They've received free exposure to your service, and now how many of them who just went through this debacle are likely to pay for their own sub?

And it is so laughable to me that we're repeating the Nilsson issue all over again just a few months later, albeit in new, dumb ways. Did they really not comprehend that the people complaining about 2 Ramones records when it was announced weren't actually complaining about RtR?! It's easy to forecast as one of those records people like but don't necessarily think to pick up and now they could get it without having to put forth any effort... or so they thought.
They are saying people that they send records to, not gift subs. It’s still dumb because if I’m an influencer, which I’m not, probably because they wouldn’t like what I’m getting ready to say, I would sure as hell look into what happened and report out on it. ESPECIALLY since they seem determined to keep it in their bubble.

They are saying people that they send records to, not gift subs. It’s still dumb because if I’m an influencer, which I’m not, probably because they wouldn’t like what I’m getting ready to say, I would sure as hell look into what happened and report out on it. ESPECIALLY since they seem determined to keep it in their bubble.

Ah, I misunderstood - thought I read that at least one of the "promo" accounts was someone with a gift sub who got screwed so I was guessing that it was a bunch like that. But also, yes, it is incredibly shortsighted to give the people with the loudest social media voice and following a reason to tell the world how bad your company is at its one job.

Ah, I misunderstood - thought I read that at least one of the "promo" accounts was someone with a gift sub who got screwed so I was guessing that it was a bunch like that. But also, yes, it is incredibly shortsighted to give the people with the loudest social media voice and following a reason to tell the world how bad your company is at its one job.
no it's the nathans of the world or people who have various free subscriptions. don't even know if it's all influencers or whatnot. i think there are quite a few people who have been only positive over the years that get a free ROTM every month for life from VMP like Nathan does.

they oversold by 400 something copies. a few of those were promos. others seem to people who swapped to RTR vs changing their track to essentials.

i think it really is just the perfect storm of shit that doesn't happen much (all the swaps into Ramones) combined with decisions the company brought upon themselves (shorter swap windows, tracks ending, lowering pressing numbers, mediocre curation).

i don't think this is as big an issue if they properly communicated it all as it was happening. email the people who swapped into essentials and say "due to unprecedented demand, we have oversold rocket to russia so unfortunately we will have to prioritize people with essentials as their main sub. here are some special items we can offer you a swap for, or we can swap you for credit and we'll add $15 in." bing bang boom. instead they beat around the bush, emailed some people but not others, then checked out for the long weekend.

I didn’t have an issue getting Rocket to Russia, but I’ve yet to receive my copy of ODB. I know this same thing happened with that release, but I was never told I wasn’t getting that album until I got shipping confirmation and it wasn’t listed as shipped. I emailed them, and CS acted like they had no clue. I set up a Discord and messaged Paulie. He looked into it, and I was one of five people that they didn’t have enough copies for. He promised me a code for $85 off in the store, and he ghosted me. I had to message him back over a month later asking where my code was…

I didn’t have an issue getting Rocket to Russia, but I’ve yet to receive my copy of ODB. I know this same thing happened with that release, but I was never told I wasn’t getting that album until I got shipping confirmation and it wasn’t listed as shipped. I emailed them, and CS acted like they had no clue. I set up a Discord and messaged Paulie. He looked into it, and I was one of five people that they didn’t have enough copies for. He promised me a code for $85 off in the store, and he ghosted me. I had to message him back over a month later asking where my code was…
I will say, with Pauly, he sometimes gets tons of DMs and just forgets. Hope they eventually took care of you.

But the fact that this is how this kinda stuff is handled is obviously the issue. Give em a break though--they have only been around for 10 years and have 17 employees!

Yeah the new ODBs are shipping in Oct. I am also still waiting on mine.

I will say, with Pauly, he sometimes gets tons of DMs and just forgets. Hope they eventually took care of you.

But the fact that this is how this kinda stuff is handled is obviously the issue. Give em a break though--they have only been around for 10 years and have 17 employees!
He apologized, said he got swamped with messages. He did make everything right though!

Yeah the new ODBs are shipping in Oct. I am also still waiting on mine.
Looks like they screw you and myself over all the time. They shorted us ODB and I’d guarantee they’ll send us the most warped copies they have as an apology!

He apologized, said he got swamped with messages. He did make everything right though!

Looks like they screw you and myself over all the time. They shorted us ODB and I’d guarantee they’ll send us the most warped copies they have as an apology!
So there are two separate issues with ODB… the initial oversell and then the fact that original VMP copies are a bad CD rip with skips in a track! So they repressed the whole damn thing. $85 was what they gave credit to everyone who was shorted (I believe it was more than 5 people)

So there are two separate issues with ODB… the initial oversell and then the fact that original VMP copies are a bad CD rip with skips in a track! So they repressed the whole damn thing. $85 was what they gave credit to everyone who was shorted (I believe it was more than 5 people)
I remember reading reviews about the skipping. I was in the group that was left out due to the oversell. Hopefully the new pressing solves all the issues and they press enough for everyone who missed out.

NY Times reported 5 days ago
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/29/arts/music/ramones-heirs-fight.html

"Years of disputes over control of the legacy of the Ramones escalated this month when the brother of Joey Ramone sued the widow of Johnny Ramone, accusing her of trademark infringement, trademark dilution and breach of contract.

Joey Ramone’s brother, Mickey Leigh, and Johnny Ramone’s widow, Linda Cummings-Ramone, each control 50 percent of Ramones Productions, the company that holds the punk band’s intellectual property rights."

An attorney said:
"That each of the two shareholders have different views is part of the challenge that they’ve created for themselves in being 50 percent owners.”

They have been going at each other since 2018. If they can't work together, licensing will become a nightmare.

Back