Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

NY Times reported 5 days ago
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/29/arts/music/ramones-heirs-fight.html

"Years of disputes over control of the legacy of the Ramones escalated this month when the brother of Joey Ramone sued the widow of Johnny Ramone, accusing her of trademark infringement, trademark dilution and breach of contract.

Joey Ramone’s brother, Mickey Leigh, and Johnny Ramone’s widow, Linda Cummings-Ramone, each control 50 percent of Ramones Productions, the company that holds the punk band’s intellectual property rights."

An attorney said:
"That each of the two shareholders have different views is part of the challenge that they’ve created for themselves in being 50 percent owners.”

They have been going at each other since 2018. If they can't work together, licensing will become a nightmare.
I would imagine there is too much money to be made not to come to some sort of agreement.

I just want a non-deluxe pressing of Love Symbol. Wasn’t it supposed to be released a year ago at this point?
There was a dude that had copies of the super deluxe of both Diamonds & Pearks and Love Symbol around late spring 23. Everyone thought they were gonna double drop them last year. I’m assuming since there has not been word this year that it’s not happening this year either. I know that there has been some nonsense with half the siblings and the management firm hired by the other siblings. 🤷‍♀️

Camille has been all tied up.

Black was supposed to get a pressing before he died.

I’m fairly certain Purple Rain was not the only thing he was remastering.

There was a dude that had copies of the super deluxe of both Diamonds & Pearks and Love Symbol around late spring 23. Everyone thought they were gonna double drop them last year. I’m assuming since there has not been word this year that it’s not happening this year either. I know that there has been some nonsense with half the siblings and the management firm hired by the other siblings. 🤷‍♀️

Camille has been all tied up.

Black was supposed to get a pressing before he died.

I’m fairly certain Purple Rain was not the only thing he was remastering.
The Prince Estate fight is ongoing and just became more complex. You have Primary Wave (ask Hall and Oates about them) who have half the estate "votes" that were sold to them and a remaining group of family members who don't like each other on the other side. In the middle is Londell McMillian, Prince's former attorney and producer, who was helping "the remaining half" manage things as a legal group as they lacked experience. They tried to get rid of Londell, but he's legally embedded, so he sued.
Basically, until it gets down to just Primary Wave and McMillian in control, the Estate will likely be a mess while they spend thru whatever money remains.
So the problem is will or no will, when you get multiple hands involved in these estates with unclear boundaries of power, things go wrong.

Last edited:
From VMP

[td]
Hi

I hope you’re doing well. I’m Matt Fiedler, co-founder and CEO of Vinyl Me, Please, and I wanted to share an important update with you regarding your membership.

Starting next month (October 2024), we will no longer offer our memberships to members outside the United States. This decision was not made lightly, and I want to share some context with you.

When we first launched in January 2013, we were thrilled to see our community grow from just 12 members to a global family. By February, we had our first member from outside the US (what’s up, Max from Moscow). Since then, international members like yourself have become an essential part of our story, now making up over 15% of our total base. Many of you joined VMP because of the curation, community, and ability to get high-quality packages at affordable prices.

However, as our international presence has expanded, so have the challenges. Shipping costs have soared, delivery times have become increasingly unpredictable, and navigating the complex compliance requirements across different countries has made it difficult for us to maintain the high standard of service you expect and deserve. It’s no longer sustainable for us to continue operating in this way as, on average, we’ve been losing money on nearly every international order:
[/td]
[td]
Avg. Shipping Cost
Avg. Margin
$24.93​
-13%​
[/td]
[td]
After exploring numerous solutions, we found that every alternative would either greatly increase costs for our international members or compromise the service you’ve come to expect from us. Ultimately, we decided that discontinuing memberships to international members was the best choice for both you and VMP.

Here’s more information on what will happen next:
[/td]
[td]
  • Membership Cancellation: Your membership will automatically be canceled at the end of your current term. You’ll still have access to tracks and swaps in the meantime.

• Store Purchases: Any pre-orders you’ve already placed will be shipped with your upcoming ROTMs or separately if your membership ends before they’re in stock. You can still buy records from the store until (and after) your membership expires. You will still get member pricing while your membership is active, and shipping, plus any applicable duties and taxes, will be charged on future store purchases. Each order will be shipped separately, and purchases will be limited to in-stock only. We’re working on making new ROTMs available for international members in the store in the months they are released. More to come on this.

• Future Availability: We’re actively working on partnerships with international distributors to make VMP records available in local record stores worldwide. We’ll keep you updated as soon as we have more details.
[/td]
[td]
We know this news may be disappointing, and we sincerely appreciate your understanding. Our mission has always been to bring people together through music, and we hope to offer memberships in your country again in the future.
[/td]

From VMP

[td]
Hi

I hope you’re doing well. I’m Matt Fiedler, co-founder and CEO of Vinyl Me, Please, and I wanted to share an important update with you regarding your membership.

Starting next month (October 2024), we will no longer offer our memberships to members outside the United States. This decision was not made lightly, and I want to share some context with you.

When we first launched in January 2013, we were thrilled to see our community grow from just 12 members to a global family. By February, we had our first member from outside the US (what’s up, Max from Moscow). Since then, international members like yourself have become an essential part of our story, now making up over 15% of our total base. Many of you joined VMP because of the curation, community, and ability to get high-quality packages at affordable prices.

However, as our international presence has expanded, so have the challenges. Shipping costs have soared, delivery times have become increasingly unpredictable, and navigating the complex compliance requirements across different countries has made it difficult for us to maintain the high standard of service you expect and deserve. It’s no longer sustainable for us to continue operating in this way as, on average, we’ve been losing money on nearly every international order:

[/td]

[td]
Avg. Shipping Cost
Avg. Margin
$24.93​
-13%​

[/td]

[td]
After exploring numerous solutions, we found that every alternative would either greatly increase costs for our international members or compromise the service you’ve come to expect from us. Ultimately, we decided that discontinuing memberships to international members was the best choice for both you and VMP.

Here’s more information on what will happen next:

[/td]

[td]
  • Membership Cancellation: Your membership will automatically be canceled at the end of your current term. You’ll still have access to tracks and swaps in the meantime.

• Store Purchases: Any pre-orders you’ve already placed will be shipped with your upcoming ROTMs or separately if your membership ends before they’re in stock. You can still buy records from the store until (and after) your membership expires. You will still get member pricing while your membership is active, and shipping, plus any applicable duties and taxes, will be charged on future store purchases. Each order will be shipped separately, and purchases will be limited to in-stock only. We’re working on making new ROTMs available for international members in the store in the months they are released. More to come on this.

• Future Availability: We’re actively working on partnerships with international distributors to make VMP records available in local record stores worldwide. We’ll keep you updated as soon as we have more details.

[/td]

[td]
We know this news may be disappointing, and we sincerely appreciate your understanding. Our mission has always been to bring people together through music, and we hope to offer memberships in your country again in the future.

[/td]
i called it and y'all called me crazy! (well not really...but i did say they were probably gonna kill international subs). i guess you can buy at HHV now lol

Back