2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Day 20 / 2024.S7.E20 - I’d Buy That for a Dollar (一ドルで買うよ)
Play a record that was purchased for cheap (given that prices of vinyl have increased substantially, this threshold will be at $15 USD or less).

Found this for $10 at the local antique mall last week. Couldn't say no..

The Juliana Theory - Deadbeat Sweetheartbeat

IMG_5968.jpeg

Play a record that was purchased for cheap (given that prices of vinyl have increased substantially, this threshold will be at $15 USD or less).

I used to frequent Goodwill and other local thrift stores back around 2005-2010 - before the real "vinyl boom" hit and they jacked up prices and all the good stuff when to their online stores for inflated prices.

But this release I found in the "dollar bin" at my former local store - which was up to 3/4 bucks at the time. This isn't the same as finding their debut album, but it's still pretty nice. Not really sure why it was in there. Sure it's got some surface noise, but overall still very listenable, and a steal at 4 bucks.

The Sonics – Introducing The Sonics
Jerden – JRL-7007, 1967

Mono

u0rrM8S.jpg

505Ye4E.jpg

fVJ0ABk.jpg

I'll dig out some other thrift finds over the years and spin those over in the spinning thread tonight.

DAISO (ダイソー) is a common ¥100 store, the equivalent of a dollar store in the USA. With the current strength of the USD over Japanese Yen, it is really more like a $0.60 store to me. Shopping at stores like these alone, one can purchase a majority of the essentials for their apartment on the cheap, with silverware, bowls, ponchos, shower curtains, stationery, and many more. They are common tourist spots as well for cheap souvenirs to take home. I remember my father buying a 100pc container of Q-tip/cotton swab equivalents from DAISO last year, they were very comfortable to use. Play a record that was purchased for cheap (given that prices of vinyl have increased substantially, this threshold will be at $15 USD or less).

Kimiko Kasai (笠井紀美子) - Tokyo Special

20240720_061716.jpg

Found this for ¥1500 with OBI and original insert in Disk Union Shinjuku. A commonality of the Disk Union franchise is that each location/city has their own sale promotions. In the case of this Shinjuku location, records with an orange price tag are discounted 5% for the month of April. This record (and the two other used LPs I bought in this store) had an orange tag, knocking this specific LP down to a cool ¥1425 (~$9.30 USD at that time, even less now).
I find Kasai's voice to be among the best in vocal Japanese jazz. She's worked with Herbie Hancock a few times over the years, most well-known on Butterfly. I received the reissue of that record as part of my SS package last year. A few here have already spun it this month, great to see. I do wish she sang in Japanese more than English across her records, but her voice is lovely either way.
She has retired from performing music and is now a jeweler. This record is my absolute favorite in her discography, bridging the gap between city pop, vocal jazz, and funk. Recommended.

Here's my receipt for proof of the price I mentioned above:
20240719_133935.jpg

Clark Terry Quintet - Serenade To A Bus Seat
IMG_6281.jpeg

I’m getting rid of a bunch of Jazz records soon but I am holding on to this gem that I picked up for around $10 off eBay.

Day 21 / 2024.S7.E21 - I Will Leave it to You (お任せします)
Play a record that can be categorized by two or more genres/subgenres.

Hitting the random button until a release comes up that I want to play that has 2 genres listed...

this one has 3 - Electronic, Rock, Pop

Eurythmics – Savage
RCA – 19075811631, 1987/2018

Cut by Miles Showell at Abbey Road
Pressed at GZ/MRP

AeJXmZz.jpeg

zdvqGPg.jpeg

Day 7 / 2024.S7.E7 - Everything, Everywhere All at Once (万事、随所同時に)
Play a record featuring over the top production or that doesn’t let up from start to finish.

Doesn't let up, the way this album (one 60 minute plus song) builds and builds...

Boris - Absolutego

IMG_7329.jpeg

Day 8 / 2024.S7.E8 - No Music, No Life (音楽なし、生活なし)
Play a record that you recently purchased (within the last three months) from your local record store.

Vinyl LP issued to commemorate The N.M.A.’s tour of Brazil 91. According to discogs it was never pressed in any other country around the world, only in Brazil.
Saw them on that tour then, saw them again when they came back in June and picked up this compilation at my local(ish) store.
They still kick ass.

IMG_7168.jpeg

New Model Army - The Collection

IMG_7330.jpeg

DAISO (ダイソー) is a common ¥100 store, the equivalent of a dollar store in the USA. With the current strength of the USD over Japanese Yen, it is really more like a $0.60 store to me. Shopping at stores like these alone, one can purchase a majority of the essentials for their apartment on the cheap, with silverware, bowls, ponchos, shower curtains, stationery, and many more. They are common tourist spots as well for cheap souvenirs to take home. I remember my father buying a 100pc container of Q-tip/cotton swab equivalents from DAISO last year, they were very comfortable to use. Play a record that was purchased for cheap (given that prices of vinyl have increased substantially, this threshold will be at $15 USD or less).

Robert Palmer "Riptide" (1985 Island Japan)
This one was $12 NM/NM. Loved this record back in the day and was super happy to find such a beautiful copy for relatively cheap. Everybody knows the huge hit on this, but the real gems are the deep cuts, plus the secondary hit, the brilliant cover of Cherrelle's synth-funk classic "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On". An excellent follow-up to his "Power Station" collaboration.

IMG_1679.JPG

Day 21 / 2024.S7.E21 - I Will Leave it to You (お任せします)
A common menu selection in Japanese restaurants, particularly with sushi, is one where the individual items are left up to the chef’s choice, called “Omakase” (お任せ). By making this selection, you get the freshest fish from that day or the local specialty fish at the chef’s discretion, and usually at a very reasonable price. It is a great way to get a sampling of some familiar styles, and also maybe taking a dip into the unknown. I went to Okina Sushi (翁寿司) in Kanazawa for my last meal of my final full day in Kanazawa. It is run by a husband and wife team who have been serving the city of Kanazawa for 48 years!! I selected an omakase four course meal (with 20oz Asahi) for ¥2750 (¥250 for mandatory table charge (おとし)). I even spoke with the co-owner wife in Japanese for about 10min in total between and after the meal about Kanazawa and the neighboring cities, and she seemed very interested in what questions I had about the area. Truly, everyone that I’ve met is so kind. Play a record that can be categorized by two or more genres/subgenres.

The Clash "London Calling" (1979 Epic Japan)
There's a mix of genres on this.

IMG_0142.JPG

Day 22 / 2024.S7.E22 - Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win! (あなたたち二人は、勝ちたいように踊って!)
Play a high energy record (pop, techno, house, etc.).

Gonna go with a CD for this one...I used to play this a lot in my dorm room. I haven't played it in a very long time. I had a short-lived techno/electronic phase back in 1998-2000, but mostly bought them on CD.

I can tell you that I still have no idea the difference between all the styles of electronic music and just call everything "techno".

I was really into Plastikman (and still have those CDs), so I also had to get this one...

Genre: Electronic
Style: Techno, Minimal

Richie Hawtin – Decks, EFX & 909
M_nus/NovaMute – minus4cd/3055-2, 1999

Pressed at WEA Mfg. Olyphant

u9oTmbZ.jpeg

NqtIvd2.jpeg

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory

Picked up this Hollywood Pressing for $8. Sounds so good I can’t see myself ever needing any other pressing of this album.

IMG_7187.jpeg

Back