2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Day 21 / 2024.S7.E21 - I Will Leave it to You (お任せします)
A common menu selection in Japanese restaurants, particularly with sushi, is one where the individual items are left up to the chef’s choice, called “Omakase” (お任せ). By making this selection, you get the freshest fish from that day or the local specialty fish at the chef’s discretion, and usually at a very reasonable price. It is a great way to get a sampling of some familiar styles, and also maybe taking a dip into the unknown. I went to Okina Sushi (翁寿司) in Kanazawa for my last meal of my final full day in Kanazawa. It is run by a husband and wife team who have been serving the city of Kanazawa for 48 years!! I selected an omakase four course meal (with 20oz Asahi) for ¥2750 (¥250 for mandatory table charge (おとし)). I even spoke with the co-owner wife in Japanese for about 10min in total between and after the meal about Kanazawa and the neighboring cities, and she seemed very interested in what questions I had about the area. Truly, everyone that I’ve met is so kind. Play a record that can be categorized by two or more genres/subgenres.

Hiromi Iwasaki (岩崎宏美) - Wish

20240722_171724.jpg

This record is sort of an anomaly in the city pop universe. The musicians featured here are primarily American names!!! Included in the sound palette is banjo, pedal steel, and harmonica. As a result, the instrumentals featured here lean into not just city pop, but also Americana for a few tracks, ESPECIALLY key track "Street Dancer" (one of my favorites!!!). But there's also some disco tracks and a hint of bossa nova in the tracklist.
Gorgeous record, and one that I was overjoyed to see in Kanazawa for ¥1980.

As for the meal I enjoyed at Okina Sushi, being a four course omakase (お任せ) meal served plate by plate, along with a 22oz of Asahi:

(1) Stewed beef with gelatin + 22oz Asahi. Very different texture, though very much an izakaya (居酒屋) style appetizer. The infused gelatin was quite tasty. Functioned as the mandatory appetizer (お通し) for the daily special.
(2) Japanese sardines (イワシ), which served as the grilled fish (焼き物) portion. Only the undesirable innards and head was removed, with the spine/bones still inside the fish. Excellent smoky taste, with the fibrous tail being my favorite part. Takes patience to chew the bones safely, but it is doable.
(3) 10pc sashimi (お刺身). Grilled egg (玉子焼き), gizzard shad (コハダ), yellowtail (ハマチ), shrimp (海老), and fatty tuna (大トロ) were all present. All exceptional, as expected. No soy sauce needed at all, they are best consumed on their own, with mmaayybbee some wasabi if needed. I didn't use any.
(4) 4pc sushi (お寿司) with some pickled ginger (がり). Fatty tuna nigiri (大トロ握り), squid nigiri (イカ握り), salmon nigiri (鮭握り), and the prized crab roll (カニ軍艦巻き). Crab is a specialty in Kanazawa, with the city being very close to the Sea of Japan. My favorite was the squid nigiri, with the wet and tender texture being unlike any squid I've had before; normally squid has a reputation of being rubbery and bland...this was far from that. The fatty tuna disintegrated like butter the moment it hit my tongue.

A+ tier meal.

20240409_171405.jpg20240409_171855.jpg20240409_171852.jpg20240409_172548.jpg

Day 22 / 2024.S7.E22 - Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win! (あなたたち二人は、勝ちたいように踊って!)
Dance Dance Revolution had its brief trendy run in the USA, and many of the arcade machines here have since been taken away in favor of machines that take less space and require less maintenance. Thankfully in Japan, there are plenty of machines to find in the arcades of urban cities. One of my favorite videogames of all time, it was an excellent excuse to justify video games as a form of exercise. The hyper energetic pop and techno soundtrack holds memories for me from when I started playing around 2002. Haven’t played it recently at all, nor did I attempt a round of play on this trip; I was dealing with a pair of foot blisters just a few days into the trip from walking. Play a high energy record (pop, techno, house, etc.).

Hitomi Tohyama (当山ひとみ) - Next Door

20240722_205644.jpg

Jam of a record. Released the same year as Madonna's self-titled and the Hi-NRG sound, while in a Japanese city pop context, is front and center. Found in Japan last year. Opening track "Exotic Yokogao" is on the first volume of the Pacific Breeze compilation series.

Day 23 / 2024.S7.E23 - Tradition and Honor (伝承と名誉)
Play a record with an OBI strip (“bookend” style are acceptable).

I guess I'll play my favorite album...

801 - 801 Live
Polydor – MPF 1101, 1977

Japanese Pressing

yfuP7ht.jpeg

SXoNrm1.jpeg

Day 20 / 2024.S7.E20 - I’d Buy That for a Dollar (一ドルで買うよ)
Play a record that was purchased for cheap (given that prices of vinyl have increased substantially, this threshold will be at $15 USD or less).

20240723_132906.jpg

Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl

As you can see, i got this for 1.99!

20240723_132919.jpg
Record jacket has some wear on it and they put the price on the jacket but the album sounds fantastic! Can not complain at all for 2 bucks - i've bought albums like 15X that amount that sounds worse. Plus i like reminding myself it was just 2 bucks when I play it lol.

Last edited:
Day 22 / 2024.S7.E22 - Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win! (あなたたち二人は、勝ちたいように踊って!)
Dance Dance Revolution had its brief trendy run in the USA, and many of the arcade machines here have since been taken away in favor of machines that take less space and require less maintenance. Thankfully in Japan, there are plenty of machines to find in the arcades of urban cities. One of my favorite videogames of all time, it was an excellent excuse to justify video games as a form of exercise. The hyper energetic pop and techno soundtrack holds memories for me from when I started playing around 2002. Haven’t played it recently at all, nor did I attempt a round of play on this trip; I was dealing with a pair of foot blisters just a few days into the trip from walking. Play a high energy record (pop, techno, house, etc.).

Harvey Sutherland "Boy" (2022 Amidst; Japanese pressing)
Excellent electronic record from 2022. Includes a cool collab with Dam-Funk. Check this out if you're a fan of Todd Terje's "It's Album Time!".

IMG_1684.JPG

Play a record that can be categorized by two or more genres/subgenres.

20240723_145119.jpg

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
When you think Beastie Boys, you think Rap, sure. But the thing i like about them is that their albums are always so varied. There's Funk in here for sure, a bit of punk, some alternative. Some of their other albums even have country, dub, bossa nova and more. They're not afraid to branch out.

Play a record that can be categorized by two or more genres/subgenres.

View attachment 209285

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
When you think Beastie Boys, you think Rap, sure. But the thing i like about them is that their albums are always so varied. There's Funk in here for sure, a bit of punk, some alternative. Some of their other albums even have country, dub, bossa nova and more. They're not afraid to branch out.

I know Paul's Boutique typically gets the nod of being the best Beasties album, but for me it's this one all the way.

Play a high energy record (pop, techno, house, etc.).

20240723_175055.jpg

Rez Infinite Soundtrack
Soundtrack to another classic music based video game Rez which features an awesome techno based soundtrack feat acts like Ken Ishii, Coldcut, and Oval.

Back