2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Day 16 / 2024.S7.E16 - Even Monkeys Fall From Trees (猿も木から落ちる)
The monkeys in Arashiyama Monkey Park (嵐山モンキーパーク) are fun to watch and observe at the top of mile-long hike on a hill. You can even feed them snacks in a central area behind a cage for cheap. But the title in the prompt/episode title is also a common Japanese proverb; a metaphor meaning no matter how skilled or talented anyone may be at their craft, anyone can make a mistake. Play a record that you might have regretted purchasing for whatever reason (outright didn’t enjoy, ignored Discogs warnings, realized it was already owned, artist/band turned out to be problematic, etc.). Alternatively, play an album that you regretted selling and ultimately purchased again later!

Asami Kado (門あさ美) - Hot Lips

20240717_130619.jpg

Not bad per se, but I'm not a fan. Bought this on a whim exclusively from the artwork for ¥1500 in Kanazawa this year while in a jewelry store/cafe/record store hybrid (still one of my favorite stops) along with six other records. For me, the music is too slow and doesn't fit in with the city pop/techno-kayo that I typically look for. I also happen to not really care for Kado's voice. Based on the cheap listings on Discogs (including the USA!!!), I'm going to guess that I am not the only one who feels this way. I would've bought one of the other records in the city pop rack in its stead would I do it over again. However, I do feel that the sound here would come off better if I were older. Kado actually does have at least one album (Fascination) that I do like, which I also found in the same shop for a cool ¥800!
Likely heading to the "to sell" bin for later. Maybe I'll come around on it, but not right now.

Last edited:
Day 17 / 2024.S7.E17 - Legends Only (伝説のみ)
Only once did I wait in line for >30min at a restaurant in Japan; at Usagi Ramen (うさぎラーメン) [lit. “rabbit ramen”]. Despite the name, they don’t use rabbit meat anywhere in their meals. They have a very brief schedule of business hours: 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM on weekdays. But the main reason I made it a destination is because the restaurant is owned by Nao Seba, the younger brother of legendary producer/beatsmith Nujabes. The restaurant specializes in tantanmen (担々麵; Chinese spicy noodles with minced meat), but they have several other ramen varieties available. The line outside the door ran about 15 people deep before opening, and with only 12 seats inside the establishment, getting there early is practically mandatory given the three-hour window. They don’t allow photos inside the restaurant, so this photo of the outside sign is all I have. Inside, the staff play Nujabes music all throughout the day, making for a very relaxed atmosphere. It isn’t some tourist trap place either; the ramen I ate was of surprisingly high quality. I’m dragging my brother here next year. Play a hip hop/rap record.

Bodikhuu - Tokyo

20240717_143912.jpg

While the title of the album might imply a Japanese producer/performer, Bodikhuu is actually from Mongolia. This is a beat tape with sampling from city pop/kayokyoku, and Japanese commercials. 15 songs across just over half an hour.
Distributed through Mississippi Records here in Portland. Not bad for $15.

Also, curiosity just struck and I had to find a picture (or close to it) of the meal that I ate in the restaurant. This picture is from a few years ago based on Google search, perhaps from a time where photos were permitted inside the restaurant. I ate a bowl of tsukemen (つけ麵; dipping ramen) after waiting in line, and drank a refreshing oolong highball not pictured here. Tsukemen separates the noodles and meat from the broth and usually, though not always, has a thicker broth. While ramen itself is not one of my top10 Japanese foods, tsukemen absolutely is. The versatility of it is a driving factor, as you can have tsukemen hot or cold, where ramen can only be served hot due to the fat content in the broth. The noodles themselves are usually thicker and by being served separated, the noodles do not become soggy from sitting in the broth, and retain their optimal texture after a brief submerging in the broth.
I recommend these on a hot day.

UsagiTsukemen.PNG

Day 14 / 2024.S7.E14 - Everyday Guardians (日常な保護者)
I came across cats when walking to and from public areas, seemingly with no owners. They seem to be more common near graveyards, parks, and children’s playground structures. One time outside in Maruyama Park (円山公園), I found both a black and tabby cat to the left of a teahouse on a small island of a four-direction intersection. I wonder if they are strays…a few other cats had some scratch marks on their sides and prompted grumpy hisses when some tourists attempted to pet them. Play a record featuring a common household pet on the cover art (dog, cat, rabbit, fish, bird, etc.)

Yazoo "You And Me Both" (1983 Mute Japan)

IMG_1670.JPG

Day 15 / 2024.S7.E15 - Bad Joke Eel (悪い冗談のウツボ)
Play a record with intentional comedic elements/lyrics.

I always find Doom's lyrics toeing the line between funny and clever but this album in particular has Aqua Teen Hunger Force & Adult Swim skits strewn throughout the album.

20240717_225847.jpg
Dangerdoom - The Mouse and the Mask

Day 18 / 2024.S7.E18 - Convenient…or is it? (便利だね? それともあんまりない?)
Play a record that has never been at risk of being out of print.

Feel pretty confident about this one as there's 689 vinyl versions out there...

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

The first one I bought, 1968 pressing...

IMG_5955.jpeg

I don’t really regret any purchases but I will say I have a lot of records that I don’t listen to often but convince myself should keep in my collection “just in case…”. I enjoy this album well enough but I am not as big of fan of Jazz as my 100+ Jazz records would have you believe. This one along with quite a few more are heading to my local where they’ll hopefully find a more appreciative home.

The jazz in my collection are also probably the genre I will weed out first if I ever need to. Some release I do like, but most are just not my thing. I keep them in case I suddenly understand the love of jazz once I turn 50 ( I got 2.5 years to go)

Last edited:
Play a record that has never been at risk of being out of print.

Just gonna get this one over and done with...

Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon
Harvest – SHVL 804, 1973/2003

Cut by Kevin Gray at AcousTech Mastering

wxxxPAR.jpg

F4onfQK.jpg

Last edited:
Day 18: Convenient…or is it? (便利だね? それともあんまりない?)
Play a record that has never been at risk of being out of print or where used copies are common in retail/record stores.

The Beatles - Help!
IMG_6250.jpeg

I doubt anyone will ever have too tough of time finding The Beatles discography.

Day 18: Convenient…or is it? (便利だね? それともあんまりない?)
Play a record that has never been at risk of being out of print or where used copies are common in retail/record stores.

The Beatles - Help!
View attachment 208838

I doubt anyone will ever have too tough of time finding The Beatles discography.

Heard about these 4 young go getters. I think they are going to be big

Day 15 / 2024.S7.E15 - Bad Joke Eel (悪い冗談のウツボ)
I tried to fit a joke in the form of the moray eel meme, but puns don’t translate that well to Japanese. Moray eels (ウツボ) have a kind of dumbfounded, funny look to them. This pair of eels were in a fish tank right next to the entrance of the Don Quixote in Asakusa. Play a record with intentional comedic elements/lyrics.

Talking Heads "Naked" (1988 EMI Japan)
David Byrne lyrics often make me chuckle. Like Mr. Jones reciting the different pairs of pants worn by the protagonist (with one pair falling down). The sarcastic tone of (Nothing But) Flowers, combined with the upbeat music, also puts a smile on my face.

IMG_1671.JPG

Day 16 / 2024.S7.E16 - Even Monkeys Fall From Trees (猿も木から落ちる)
The monkeys in Arashiyama Monkey Park (嵐山モンキーパーク) are fun to watch and observe at the top of mile-long hike on a hill. You can even feed them snacks in a central area behind a cage for cheap. But the title in the prompt/episode title is also a common Japanese proverb; a metaphor meaning no matter how skilled or talented anyone may be at their craft, anyone can make a mistake. Play a record that you might have regretted purchasing for whatever reason (outright didn’t enjoy, ignored Discogs warnings, realized it was already owned, artist/band turned out to be problematic, etc.). Alternatively, play an album that you regretted selling and ultimately purchased again later!

Roxy Music "Stranded" (1973 Island; 1975 Japanese pressing)
This is more about the pressing than the album - I quite like the album. I have several Roxy Music Japanese pressings and they're quite good, so I thought this would be the same. But no, this one doesn't sound very good. I should have listened to Fremer on this one - he says the recent and common half-speed master is the one to go for with this particular album. Anyway, I took this out of the sale pile to play and it's returning there right after.

IMG_1672.JPG

Vending machines. Vending machines everywhere. You can’t escape them; over 5.5M exist across the entire country, or more than one for every 25 citizens. In the common tourist areas, most carry the same items (water, Coke products, tea, coffee, etc.) but there are vending machines that sell non-practical items (holiday ornaments, plastic toys, fake eyelashes, frozen beef, etc.) in a few trendy areas. The point being, they are ubiquitous and so…Play a record that has never been at risk of being out of print or where used copies are common in retail/record stores.

Eiichi Ohtaki (大滝詠一) - A Long Vacation

20240718_121852.jpg

While not necessarily holding true to the USA (though I have seen a few), the number of copies of A Long Vacation and Each Time floating around in Japan record stores is absurd...at least a pair in each I have been to. In recent years, both have seen a few reissues, including a fancy box set.
I found this OG with OBI + insert for ¥2250 in Disk Union Yokohama Kannai. On Discogs, there are over 1000 available copies of the OG vinyl pressing. LitA is repressing the 40th anniversary color LP with preorders open at this time.
For those who don't know the music, it is a hybrid of city pop with sunshine pop. Apropos to soundtrack a tropical paradise. Widely considered to be a classic in contemporary Japanese music. Recommended for The Beach Boys and The Lemon Twigs listeners.

EDIT: Changed caption slightly, pick remains the same.

Last edited:
Back