2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Day 2 / 2024.S7.E2 - A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity (一期一会)
Play a record that became important to you on first listen (or shortly after).

I thought I had a pretty good handle on what music could be.

Hearing this record for the first time made me realize I didn't know shit,..

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

IMG_4794.jpeg

Finally back home.

Day 1 / 2024.S7.E1 - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)
Even on my first trip (this picture is the first I took on this year’s trip), culture shock was real. Everything moves quickly, processes are streamlined, and first time travelers are easy to spot. Play a record with something related to Japan (artist born there or has Japanese heritage; Japanese culture/building/food present on cover, was recorded in Japan, Japanese lyrics, etc.).

Mari Iijima (飯島真理) - Rosé

20240701_221943.jpg

Found this in (I think...can't find the receipt) Shibuya Disk Union for ¥1200 this year. Condition is practically brand new.
Produced by the excellent Ryuichi Sakamoto (坂本龍一), it is so wonderfully done. Fits in the space between techno-kayo, city pop, and idol pop. Flawless side A, with a slower paced side B but not without the excellent "秘密の扉" as the penultimate cut. "Love Sick" is featured on the third volume of the Pacific Breeze city pop compilation series from LitA.
A very fun debut.

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor’s Guide to Earth

I was one of those “I don’t like country music outside of Johnny Cash” kinda guys until I heard this album when it came out in 2016. It made me realize that I should probably start taking this genre seriously. From there I started my journey into what is now one of my favorite genres. For that, this record will always be important to me.

IMG_6998.jpeg

Being in Kenrokuen (兼六園) was unlike any other outdoor space I have set foot in, nothing compared to its sheer scope, beauty, and tranquility (when there were spaces free of talkative tourists). It seemed that no matter where you were standing in the space of the historic garden, the possibility of taking a fantastic photo was highly probable. One of the most impressive places that I’ve ever seen in my life. Play a record that became important to you on first listen (or shortly after).

2814 - 新しい日の誕生 (Birth of a New Day)

20240702_111017.jpg

My #20 all time. It has played a large hand in my enjoyment of ambient music. Experiencing this record for the first time was like stepping into a free flowing, cosmic, and enrapturing alternate universe. The fleeting, mystifying, and organic atmosphere of this record conveys the sensation of walking the streets of a bustling technologically advanced city during the night hours. Last year in Osaka (see below), it felt very much like that.

Namba@Nite_2446.jpg

When I think of albums that are important to me, this is usually the first that comes to mind, as this was the pre-recorded music I owned. I'm not sure if my mom or brother still have my old cassette of it still or not.

Duran Duran – Arena
Capitol Records – SWAV-12374, 1984

Cut at Masterdisk
Pressed at Capitol, Jacksonville

m0N8ja.jpg

0U8CAM.jpg

Day 1 / 2024.S7.E1 - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)
Even on my first trip (this picture is the first I took on this year’s trip), culture shock was real. Everything moves quickly, processes are streamlined, and first time travelers are easy to spot. Play a record with something related to Japan (artist born there or has Japanese heritage; Japanese culture/building/food present on cover, was recorded in Japan, Japanese lyrics, etc.).
20240702_141130.jpg

Nujabes - Modal Soul. Japanese Hip Hop Producer.

Weezer - Pinkerton

View attachment 207534
I shaved my head and tried to be a monk. I thought the older women would like me if I did.

July 2 - Play a record that became important to you on first listen (or shortly after).

Sundays & Cybele - Gypsy House

Went in blind and grabbed the GuruGuru Brain VMP bundle way back in the day, even though I was only familiar with Kikagaku Moyo. From the first time I played this I loved this record.
IMG_0384.jpg

Angel is a great mix of garage and psychedelia

Being in Kenrokuen (兼六園) was unlike any other outdoor space I have set foot in, nothing compared to its sheer scope, beauty, and tranquility (when there were spaces free of talkative tourists). It seemed that no matter where you were standing in the space of the historic garden, the possibility of taking a fantastic photo was highly probable. One of the most impressive places that I’ve ever seen in my life. Play a record that became important to you on first listen (or shortly after).

2814 - 新しい日の誕生 (Birth of a New Day)

View attachment 207514

My #20 all time. It has played a large hand in my enjoyment of ambient music. Experiencing this record for the first time was like stepping into a free flowing, cosmic, and enrapturing alternate universe. The fleeting, mystifying, and organic atmosphere of this record conveys the sensation of walking the streets of a bustling technologically advanced city during the night hours. Last year in Osaka (see below), it felt very much like that.

View attachment 207479

Thanks for supplying the youtube link. Listening to the album on Bandcamp right now and loving it.

20240702_165630.jpg

Squarepusher - Big Loada. I could probably get into a few albums that are important to me but this one is kinda interesting. I was into electronic music beforehand but maybe more standard stuff like techno / breaks / big beat. I was shifting into Drum & Bass music and read about Squarepusher. I checked out his video "Come on my Selector" and bought this CD first chance i got. This was my intro to Squarepusher and it blew me away and have never heard anything like it. I was pretty obsessively getting into Warp Records acts afterwards for many years and discovered so many of my favorite artists - all stemming from this one album (Boards of Canada, Broadcast, Chris Clark, Autechre, Aphex Twin, Flying lotus - i can go on and on).

Keeping with the theme a bit - here's the video i reference above which I'm not really sure if it's set in Japan but the video speaking parts are dubbed into Japanese - altho it seems like they're mouthing the English subs.

Last edited:
Back