2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Day 2 / 2024.S7.E2 - A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity (一期一会)
Being in Kenrokuen (兼六園) was unlike any other outdoor space I have set foot in, nothing compared to its sheer scope, beauty, and tranquility (when there were spaces free of talkative tourists). It seemed that no matter where you were standing in the space of the historic garden, the possibility of taking a fantastic photo was highly probable. One of the most impressive places that I’ve ever seen in my life. Play a record that became important to you on first listen (or shortly after).

2814 - 新しい日の誕生 (Birth of a New Day)

View attachment 207514

My #20 all time. It has played a large hand in my enjoyment of ambient music. Experiencing this record for the first time was like stepping into a free flowing, cosmic, and enrapturing alternate universe. The fleeting, mystifying, and organic atmosphere of this record conveys the sensation of walking the streets of a bustling technologically advanced city during the night hours. Last year in Osaka (see below), it felt very much like that.

View attachment 207479

definitely a special album for me as well. lock screen code for my phone is 281433 😅

Kimio Eto - Koto Master
1719967309351.png
Here's one that I had a strong connection with immediately. I collected records a bit in high school and college (cd's mostly) but really got obsessed while I was in grad school from 2011-2017. I wasn't exactly rolling in dough, so I was very much in the Bay Area bargain crates, exploring unfamiliar genres and going deeper on things that didn't have hipster cache in the present.

Kimio Eto is the kind of thing I'd be discovering—"world music" that would have been popular among Bay Area mystic types, or like the college professor in Inside Llewyn Davis. There's a funny passage in Philip K. Dick's The Transmigration of Timothy Archer that references it:
1719967792982.png
Dick was wrong. The record is not rare or valuable. You can probably still find it any number of Redwood City thrift shops or Rasputin cheap bins.

Anyway, this is the kind of thing I'd be spinning while reading for seminar or writing papers—great for focus and meditative background, but also astonishingly beautiful and virtuosic and very rewarding of close listening as well. It definitely became an instant staple and a record I often pick up and pass on to people who I think would enjoy it.

7/2
IMG_8937.jpeg
The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

I grew up listening to the Beatles but it was mostly the early stuff. This was the first Beatles record I bought with my own money. It was a cd. I remember opening the long box and looking at the cut outs and stuff. I knew this was the album you were supposed to know and I suppose I had heard A Little Help from my Friends, but I certainly hadn’t heard this. It was most definitely the first psychedelic music I ever heard. I remember listening through my bargain cd player through my parent’s old Magnavox all in one shelf system and being like “wow.” I went from liking the Beatles to being obsessed. A Day in a Life is still my all time favorite song. I still search for music that gives me the same wow factor.

Willie Nelson – Phases And Stages
1000006398.jpg

This was the album that cracked open my Willie fandom. I'd generally enjoyed him fine whenever his tunes popped up in my life but never really sought him out. A musician friend suggested I check this one out fifteen years, or so, ago and it remains my favourite Willie album to this day.

Day 3 / 2024.S7.E3 - Childhood Memories (子供時代の思い出)
Play a soundtrack.

Bob Dylan - Shadow Kingdom

Bob made a concert film in 2021 and then released this soundtrack for it in 2023. It’s him performing older songs (which if you’ve ever seen him live you’ll know is not common) backed up by a rock solid band.

I actually had no idea this existed until seeing it online for a real good deal. So I went in blind and was pleasantly surprised with how good this is!

IMG_7003.jpeg

Day 02: A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity (一期一会)
Play a record that became important to you on first listen (or shortly after)

Hiroshi Yoshimura - Green
IMG_5482.jpeg

One of the first ambient works that I ever connected with. This version removes the nature SFX and while I never minded them or previously version, this completely focused synth really connects with me. It’s a record that provides soothing calm whenever it’s played.

Day 03: Childhood Memories (子供時代の思い出)
Play a soundtrack.

Various Artist (though mostly Kevin Shields) - Lost In Translation (Music From The Motion Picture Soundtrack)
View attachment 207612
✅ A Movie Soundtrack
✅ for a movie about a trip to Japan
✅ staring Bill Murray

How did it take this long before someone played this today?

Day 3 / 2024.S7.E3 - Childhood Memories (子供時代の思い出)
Stopping into a Studio Ghibli store is a common tourist spending drain…especially with the rapid depreciation of the JPY 💴 ➡️ USD 💵. Everything from pot holders, tees, stuffed animals, enamel pins, mugs, you name it. There’s are a bevy of Ghibli stores in the country, this one was taken from when visiting Kamakura (鎌倉) during the last few days of this year’s visit. It even has multiple floors to hold all of the stock. Play a soundtrack.

Nujabes / Fat Jon - Departure

20240703_114917.jpg

Samurai Champloo was a revolutionary anime for its time. Interplay of Edo era Japan (江戸時代), hip hop culture, gorgeous animation, and cool swordplay/fight scenes was lightning in a bottle. One of my favorites to watch reruns of on Adult Swim in high school, back when it was "weird" to like Japanese culture, especially anime. The dub with VAs in English is totally fine to watch; Steve Blum is a god and lent his voice well to Mugen. This was also during a time when Nujabes was a very under the radar beatsmith, especially in the USA, and not the late legendary influence that he has become now. Fat Jon's contributions for production to the soundtrack should not go unmentioned, with him providing the calm, thick beats to break the tension followed by comic relief or even another encounter.
RIP Nujabes.

Last edited:
Back