2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Day 02: A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity (一期一会)
Play a record that became important to you on first listen (or shortly after)

2 for 2 so far on playing Japan related records...we'll see how long I can go. I didn't need to stretch for this either. This was my first Deep Purple record as a kid and man I played the crap out of it. Also, this version of Highway Star will always be my favorite.
IMG_8568.JPG

Day 3 / 2024.S7.E3 - Childhood Memories (子供時代の思い出)
Stopping into a Studio Ghibli store is a common tourist spending drain…especially with the rapid depreciation of the JPY 💴 ➡️ USD 💵 . Everything from pot holders, tees, stuffed animals, enamel pins, mugs, you name it. There’s are a bevy of Ghibli stores in the country, this one was taken from when visiting Kamakura (鎌倉) during the last few days of this year’s visit. It even has multiple floors to hold all of the stock. Play a soundtrack.

20240703_172032.jpg

Lost in Translation - Keeping with the theme a bit here's a soundtrack of a movie about Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson in Japan. Linkage to day 2 - Squarepusher is also on this soundtrack!

Stopping into a Studio Ghibli store is a common tourist spending drain…especially with the rapid depreciation of the JPY 💴 ➡️ USD 💵 . Everything from pot holders, tees, stuffed animals, enamel pins, mugs, you name it. There’s are a bevy of Ghibli stores in the country, this one was taken from when visiting Kamakura (鎌倉) during the last few days of this year’s visit. It even has multiple floors to hold all of the stock. Play a soundtrack.

View attachment 207639

Lost in Translation - Keeping with the theme a bit here's a soundtrack of a movie about Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson in Japan. Linkage to day 2 - Squarepusher is also on this soundtrack!
Not that it is a steadfast rule, but @TenderLovingKiller® beat you to this:

Day 03: Childhood Memories (子供時代の思い出)
Play a soundtrack.

Various Artist (though mostly Kevin Shields) - Lost In Translation (Music From The Motion Picture Soundtrack)
View attachment 207612
✅ A Movie Soundtrack
✅ for a movie about a trip to Japan
✅ staring Bill Murray

Play a soundtrack.

I was waiting for other people to get in whatever OST's they had - I know it's not a genre people here have huge collections of, and I didn't want to steal their only one.

That new Lost In Translation release is also sitting here, but I figured that it was going to be someone's go-to...so here is mine, which also fits the month's theme. I've never really been a fan of the Godzilla movies, even all the new ones with Kong, but I do want to watch this one.

My brother did just take a trip to Japan in April. He did stay a night in the Godzilla Room at Hotel Gracery Shinjuku

Naoki Sato – Godzilla Minus One
Waxwork Records/Milan – WW202, 2023/2024

2 x 45RPM
"Godzilla Heat Ray" Variant

Pressed at MRP/GZ

sGIzqLn.jpg

vunRqSS.jpg

Glad to see the Black Pumas first out of the gate. If we gave them a couple weeks notice they could have produced a July Challenge variant for us.
Easy, just replace the pumas with a pair of black colored Persians from Pokémon.

1720093189808.png

Black colored Persian Pokémon don't actually exist in the series, but they are closest to a cougar's appearance that I know of.

It may be valid but the Times can get fucked. They want a Trump 2nd term to sell papers. They're seeing the dollars of a 2nd term for Trump just like CNN.

Day 4 / 2024.S7.E4 - Why are there so many like this? (どうしてこんな物が多くあるん?)
Play a record that has at least four vinyl variants (LP color, pressing, etc.).

8 variants

Kikagaku Moyo - Masana Temples

View attachment 207673
Scooped!

Day 04: Why are there so many like this? (どうしてこんな物が多くあるん?)
Play a record that has at least four vinyl variants (LP color, pressing, etc.)

toe - The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety
IMG_5484.jpeg
You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you 14 different variants of this type of toe by this afternoon.

I misread the topic late last night and thought it was to play a record that you have at least 4 copies of....

I was looking through my collection for titles that I have multiple copies of for a little while last night until I noticed I didn't need to.

But - I do own at least 4 copies of a lot of albums....at least according to Discogs, it's entirely possible that some are just corrected pressings I added without removing the incorrect submission.

Back