2024 Reading Challenge

Next group of 3 books.
#23 Marko Kloos - Descent (scifi series, book number 3 or 4. Barely made it through but won't finish the series)

#24 Simon Reynolds - Futuromania (rather disappointing overview of electronica. I did not realize this was a compendium of his magazine and online writing. Articles placed in subject matter chronological order and in the end felt rather disjointed.)
IMG_0444.jpg
#25 Dorothy Hughes - In A Lonely Place (not sure who recommended this title in the thread but one of the best things I read so far this year. A short book told from the perspective a serial killer. Written in 1947 but still felt very 'modern' at the same time. Loved it.)
IMG_0448.JPEG

Might have to pick this one up, he lived in our area for quite a while

Yeah, your area is featured quite prominently. I don't think I knew he was one of ours until I started to book. Lots of familiar stops on both sides of the border along the way. It's a great read. Lots of wonderful anecdotes and recollections. Very easy reading, and laid out in a way that let's you tear through it, or pick it up and put it down a lot. I did a bit of both with it — read about half of it on the first day of our trip and then just a few pages here and there for the next week or so and another two big bits over the last two days.

Yeah, your area is featured quite prominently. I don't think I knew he was one of ours until I started to book. Lots of familiar stops on both sides of the border along the way. It's a great read. Lots of wonderful anecdotes and recollections. Very easy reading, and laid out in a way that let's you tear through it, or pick it up and put it down a lot. I did a bit of both with it — read about half of it on the first day of our trip and then just a few pages here and there for the next week or so and another two big bits over the last two days.
Sounds like a perfect read in my mind. Grabbed. Thanks!

Next group of 3 books.
#23 Marko Kloos - Descent (scifi series, book number 3 or 4. Barely made it through but won't finish the series)

#24 Simon Reynolds - Futuromania (rather disappointing overview of electronica. I did not realize this was a compendium of his magazine and online writing. Articles placed in subject matter chronological order and in the end felt rather disjointed.)
View attachment 211172
#25 Dorothy Hughes - In A Lonely Place (not sure who recommended this title in the thread but one of the best things I read so far this year. A short book told from the perspective a serial killer. Written in 1947 but still felt very 'modern' at the same time. Loved it.)
View attachment 211173
So glad someone else read that Dorothy B Hughes book! It's one that I thought about for quite awhile after. I've been recommending to a bunch of people...it read like a contemporary look back at the era, it must have been somewhat groundbreaking when it came out.

Between the Yellowstone trip and other things in life, I haven't read much lately. So I have stalled on Karl Ove's 'Summer.'
I'm only 1/4 of the way through, and I'm actually more excited for the next book in my queue. (Lonesome Dove) But I'll finish this, it's the last of the series.

Decided to try this one since I need something less heavy after the nuclear destruction of our planet.

71Z3oeNfFQL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Wrapped this up. A good read. An interesting retrospective to a time that felt like it flew by for me.

Going to try to work on the Making of Kind of Blue by Ashley Kahn. That would make 3 books in one month if I can swing it.

So glad someone else read that Dorothy B Hughes book! It's one that I thought about for quite awhile after. I've been recommending to a bunch of people...it read like a contemporary look back at the era, it must have been somewhat groundbreaking when it came out.
Totally agree. I think if gave it to me with no indication of when it was written, I would think it was a modern writer. Cannot recommend it enough to the rest of the N&G readers

August 2024

A bumper month with plenty of time on European train journeys followed by a few weeks finishing up the late shift at work allowing me extra time in the mornings to read. Nine completed, I'll be onto the tenth during today's commute but I don't think I'll finish that until next month so I'll add that then.

Book 43: Georges Rodenbach - Bruges-la-Morte
thumbnail_IMG_2574.jpg
The first stop on our Euro rail trip was Bruges which was the only place I didn't already have a book based in so I bought this the day before we departed. A man mourns his young wife's death by moving to Bruges, a place that he sees as dying itself. Written and set in the late 19th century, very much before Bruges' transformation to a tourist hotspot, he describes in detail the decaying city despite spending much of his time in his own decaying house surrounded by the decaying belongings of his dead wife's. On a chance visit to the theatre, he sees a dancer that looks the double of his dead wife and he obsessively follows her and eventually courts her. As it becomes evident that the relationship is doomed he becomes more and more tormented by his loss and the story ends in tragedy. I know I enjoyed reading this but, even less than a month later I've found myself struggling to remember details despite the short length.

Book 44: Ian McEwan - Amsterdam
thumbnail_IMG_2575.jpg
The main story is about two men, both former lovers of a woman whose funeral marks the start of the novel. They're at the top of their games as orchestral composer and newspaper editor until an unbeknownst witnessing to a serial rapist and a desire to ruin a politician over his cross-dressing tendencies provide the conflicts that threaten to tear apart their decades long relationship and end their respective careers in disgrace. Unlike Rodenbach's positioning of Bruges as a fully realised character within his book, McEwan only uses Amsterdam as a plot device to house a euthanasia pact between the old friends, (as far as I know assisted suicide is not legal in The Netherlands), and in fact the titular city is only visited towards the very end of the novel. It was a good read but, I feel like 1998 may have seen slim pickings in the world of literature because this didn't really feel 'great' in the way many Booker winners do.

Book 45: Jenny Erpenbeck - Kairos
thumbnail_IMG_2576.jpg
I absolutely loved this 2024 winner of the International Booker Prize (written 2021). It tells of the increasingly toxic relationship between a young woman and her lover (30-odd years her senior) in the separated Germany of the late '60s and beyond. After she receives word in her present life in NYC that he has died, she looks through boxes of artifacts that aid her in telling the story of their affair. Erpenbeck's detailed East Berlin made me fascinated to learn more and made me love this half of the city as we walked around. This story of a naïve woman in her first love affair and an overbearing hypocritical womanizer was so well crafted, it's an absolute masterclass in writing people and places that feel every bit real.

Book 46: Milan Kundera - The Unbearable Lightness of Being
thumbnail_IMG_2577.jpg
It was between a Kafka (probably The Castle) and this as we arrived in Prague. I'll get around to Kafka but, I'm glad I picked this. It was fitting following Kairos as it felt in many ways like a precursor to Erpenbeck's tale. Here, it's a freshly invaded Prague by Soviet tanks that provides the scene for a couple of complicated love affairs. I didn't find Kundera's characters quite as draped in realism as Erpenbeck's but, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing as it could have made a book about lightness feel tragically heavy. There's still a splash of sadness here but it's a sadness at feeling so attached to incredibly likeable characters when it just doesn't pan out for them. Kundera throws in paradoxical theological debates about whether God shits and casually cites philosophers from Socrates to Nietzsche so, I can see that the book may seem pretentious at times but, what the hell, I loved it.

Book 47: Karen M. McManus - One Of Us is Lying
thumbnail_IMG_2578.jpg
Back home and I fancied something a little easier on the little grey cells and this has been in my pile for some time. I know it's a YA title but, I had an adult recommend it in favour of the Netflix adaptation and I have to say, I really did enjoy the sheer escapism of the plot. The writing isn't half bad and as a long time fan of the American teen movie, I enjoyed the clear references and it all felt nicely familiar. Nothing ground-breaking but, I definitely have time for that in my reading list. I went on to watch the TV show with my kid who had already seen it and boy, what a lot of changes they decided to make. I don't really understand why, it felt like 8 episodes had been requested and they just had to think of a way to (really) complicate the storyline. I didn't watch the second season as I may end up reading the subsequent books.

Book 48: Natasha Brown - Assembly
thumbnail_IMG_2579.jpg
A short novel told from the viewpoint of a young, black woman in modern Britain. Her thoughts drift and in snippets, we learn of how she has lost her mum to cancer; is recently diagnosed herself but puts her work first for fear of losing everything she has worked twice as hard as her white counterparts to achieve; is frequently expected to take on subservient roles in the financial firm she works for; is told by colleagues that she has only been promoted because of her race. As she describes being born British of two British born parents but still feels that her passport is needed to confirm her nationality, it made me sad that people still feel this way in modern Britain but worse, not altogether surprised. The story culminates in a visit to her white boyfriend's family home for his parent's anniversary party. Aside from her race, the clash of her new money and their old wealth is apparent. It's a good book, though sparse and it feels like a subject that deserves a little more fleshing out. As a debut though, it's very confident and I'm interested to see what Brown offers next.

Book 49: Virginia Woolf - To the Lighthouse
thumbnail_IMG_2580.jpg
More digestible than I found Mrs Dalloway but very much in the same trend, as limited narrative is given over to the meandering thoughts of characters, passing seamlessly from one to the next, as they ruminate about the potential to visit a lighthouse off the coast of Scotland the following day. Undoubtedly admirable as a work of art but, perhaps not my cup of tea for want of something more narrative driven.

Book 50: Paul Auster - The Book of Illusions
thumbnail_IMG_2581.jpg
Definitely joint favourite, maybe even overall favourite of Auster's work so far for me. Narrated by a side character from his earlier work: Moon Palace, David Zimmer overcomes the mourning of his wife and children to a plane crash by finding light in 12 little known '20s silent movies featuring Hector Mann. In exploring the films, he discovers there's more to Mann than an immigrant slapstick comic. As the story progresses it felt in danger of succumbing to absurdity with the introduction of a girl and a gun but, whether this was Godard or DW Griffith Auster was channelling, he manages to use it as a device to transition the story into the next phase. Compelling throughout, an excellent piece of metafiction.

Book 51: Toni Morrison - Beloved
thumbnail_IMG_2582.jpg
Truly haunting ghost story set in post civil war Cincinnati. The horrors of the period lend reasoning to the brutal killing of a child that returns initially as a malevolent spirit, then as a fully formed flesh and blood destructive seductress. Morrison's writing is sublime and it elevates the book into something truly unforgettable. In one sentence, she describes a matriarch urging a younger woman not to fall in love with her own baby so that she doesn't mourn too hard when they are sold, traded, tortured or killed. It's a heart-breaking depiction of the worst in humanity that should haunt the reader and remain in their thoughts. I cannot recommend this enough.

Last edited:
August 2024

A bumper month with plenty of time on European train journeys followed by a few weeks finishing up the late shift at work allowing me extra time in the mornings to read. Nine completed, I'll be onto the tenth during today's commute but I don't think I'll finish that until next month so I'll add that then.

Book 43: Georges Rodenbach - Bruges-la-Morte
View attachment 212083
The first stop on our Euro rail trip was Bruges which was the only place I didn't already have a book based in so I bought this the day before we departed. A man mourns his young wife's death by moving to Bruges, a place that he sees as dying itself. Written and set in the late 19th century, very much before Bruges' transformation to a tourist hotspot, he describes in detail the decaying city despite spending much of his time in his own decaying house surrounded by the decaying belongings of his dead wife's. On a chance visit to the theatre, he sees a dancer that looks the double of his dead wife and he obsessively follows her and eventually courts her. As it becomes evident that the relationship is doomed he becomes more and more tormented by his loss and the story ends in tragedy. I know I enjoyed reading this but, even less than a month later I've found myself struggling to remember details despite the short length.

Book 44: Ian McEwan - Amsterdam
View attachment 212084
The main story is about two men, both former lovers of a woman whose funeral marks the start of the novel. They're at the top of their games as orchestral composer and newspaper editor until an unbeknownst witnessing to a serial rapist and a desire to ruin a politician over his cross-dressing tendencies provide the conflicts that threaten to tear apart their decades long relationship and end their respective careers in disgrace. Unlike Rodenbach's positioning of Bruges as a fully realised character within his book, McEwan only uses Amsterdam as a plot device to house a euthanasia pact between the old friends, (as far as I know assisted suicide is not legal in The Netherlands), and in fact the titular city is only visited towards the very end of the novel. It was a good read but, I feel like 1998 may have seen slim pickings in the world of literature because this didn't really feel 'great' in the way many Booker winners do.

Book 45: Jenny Erpenbeck - Kairos
View attachment 212085
I absolutely loved this 2024 winner of the International Booker Prize (written 2021). It tells of the increasingly toxic relationship between a young woman and her lover (30-odd years her senior) in the separated Germany of the late '60s and beyond. After she receives word in her present life in NYC that he has died, she looks through boxes of artifacts that aid her in telling the story of their affair. Erpenbeck's detailed East Berlin made me fascinated to learn more and made me love this half of the city as we walked around. This story of a naïve woman in her first love affair and an overbearing hypocritical womanizer was so well crafted, it's an absolute masterclass in writing people and places that feel every bit real.

Book 46: Milan Kundera - The Unbearable Lightness of Being
View attachment 212086
It was between a Kafka (probably The Castle) and this as we arrived in Prague. I'll get around to Kafka but, I'm glad I picked this. It was fitting following Kairos as it felt in many ways like a precursor to Erpenbeck's tale. Here, it's a freshly invaded Prague by Soviet tanks that provides the scene for a couple of complicated love affairs. I didn't find Kundera's characters quite as draped in realism as Erpenbeck's but, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing as it could have made a book about lightness feel tragically heavy. There's still a splash of sadness here but it's a sadness at feeling so attached to incredibly likeable characters when it just doesn't pan out for them. Kundera throws in paradoxical theological debates about whether God shits and casually cites philosophers from Socrates to Nietzsche so, I can see that the book may seem pretentious at times but, what the hell, I loved it.

Book 47: Karen M. McManus - One Of Us is Lying
View attachment 212087
Back home and I fancied something a little easier on the little grey cells and this has been in my pile for some time. I know it's a YA title but, I had an adult recommend it in favour of the Netflix adaptation and I have to say, I really did enjoy the sheer escapism of the plot. The writing isn't half bad and as a long time fan of the American teen movie, I enjoyed the clear references and it all felt nicely familiar. Nothing ground-breaking but, I definitely have time for that in my reading list. I went on to watch the TV show with my kid who had already seen it and boy, what a lot of changes they decided to make. I don't really understand why, it felt like 8 episodes had been requested and they just had to think of a way to (really) complicate the storyline. I didn't watch the second season as I may end up reading the subsequent books.

Book 48: Natasha Brown - Assembly
View attachment 212088
A short novel told from the viewpoint of a young, black woman in modern Britain. Her thoughts drift and in snippets, we learn of how she has lost her mum to cancer; is recently diagnosed herself but puts her work first for fear of losing everything she has worked twice as hard as her white counterparts to achieve; is frequently expected to take on subservient roles in the financial firm she works for; is told by colleagues that she has only been promoted because of her race. As she describes being born British of two British born parents but still feels that her passport is needed to confirm her nationality, it made me sad that people still feel this way in modern Britain but worse, not altogether surprised. The story culminates in a visit to her white boyfriend's family home for his parent's anniversary party. Aside from her race, the clash of her new money and their old wealth is apparent. It's a good book, though sparse and it feels like a subject that deserves a little more fleshing out. As a debut though, it's very confident and I'm interested to see what Brown offers next.

Book 49: Virginia Woolf - To the Lighthouse
View attachment 212089
More digestible than I found Mrs Dalloway but very much in the same trend, as limited narrative is given over to the meandering thoughts of characters, passing seamlessly from one to the next, as they ruminate about the potential to visit a lighthouse off the coast of Scotland the following day. Undoubtedly admirable as a work of art but, perhaps not my cup of tea for want of something more narrative driven.

Book 50: Paul Auster - The Book of Illusions
View attachment 212090
Definitely joint favourite, maybe even overall favourite of Auster's work so far for me. Narrated by a side character from his earlier work: Moon Palace, David Zimmer overcomes the mourning of his wife and children to a plane crash by finding light in 12 little known '20s silent movies featuring Hector Mann. In exploring the films, he discovers there's more to Mann than an immigrant slapstick comic. As the story progresses it felt in danger of succumbing to absurdity with the introduction of a girl and a gun but, whether this was Godard or DW Griffith Auster was channelling, he manages to use it as a device to transition the story into the next phase. Compelling throughout, an excellent piece of metafiction.

Book 51: Toni Morrison - Beloved
View attachment 212091
Truly haunting ghost story set in post civil war Cincinnati. The horrors of the period lend reasoning to the brutal killing of a child that returns initially as a malevolent spirit, then as a fully formed flesh and blood destructive seductress. Morrison's writing is sublime and it elevates the book into something truly unforgettable. In one sentence, she describes a matriarch urging a younger woman not to fall in love with her own baby so that she doesn't mourn too hard when they are sold, traded, tortured or killed. It's a heart-breaking depiction of the worst in humanity that should haunt the reader and remain in their thoughts. I cannot recommend this enough.
Beloved is on my short list, I loved Song of Solomon. (my first Morrison)

Kairos sounds really interesting to me, so that one made my list.

I still have yet to read and Paul Auster, where should one start?

Beloved is on my short list, I loved Song of Solomon. (my first Morrison)

Kairos sounds really interesting to me, so that one made my list.

I still have yet to read and Paul Auster, where should one start?
I think critics would say New York Trilogy as a debut remains his masterpiece and it certainly sets out his stall as a meta novelist constantly reminding the reader of the existence of the author but, my favourites are definitely Music of Chance and Book of Illusions. I really enjoyed the more recent 4321 a great deal too but it is long and probably not the ideal starting point in case you don’t get on with the structure which might put you off him altogether.

Kairos was great, highly recommended.

I’ve got to add Song of Solomon to my list now after Beloved. A few on here have raved about it and if it equals Beloved I’d be very happy.

Book 20: H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald (Vintage, 2015)

Quite an interesting book that meshes hawking with a biography of grief. I can see why it did so well when it was first released although I did find it to be a bit of a struggle to maintain my focus at times.

IMG_3437.JPG

Book 21: We Out Here Annual 1 (Self Released, 2024)

Less of a book but also not quite a magazine, something in between. A collection of essays and interviews that have links to the festival, so its a great mix of musicians covered here with an emphasis on the British jazz scene.

IMG_4311.JPG
Book 22: Making Hay by Moonlight by Jo Reed (Incline Press, 2015)

I bought this the other day on a whim and its quite an interesting piece of craft. Its an accordion-styled booklet that contains a poem that was written in memory of Reed's time listening to Joe Harriott perform at Ronnie Scotts club during the 1960's. It has a handcrafted feel to it, really nice.
IMG_4312.JPG
Book 23: Jack Reacher: The Secret by Lee and Andrew Child (Transworld Digital, 2023)

When I'm in the mood for an easy and fun read, the Jack Reacher series are what I go to. This one wasn't one of the best in my opinion but it was still a fun read.

IMG_4313.JPG

August 2024 Revisited

Book 52: Stieg Larsson - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

thumbnail_IMG_2588.jpg
I was convinced I wouldn't finish this before the month was out because it's quite thick but, I suppose it lives up to the cliched "unputdownable" adjective. I generally really enjoyed it and it certainly was entertaining and easy reading despite the heavy nature of the subject matter. I will say that the segregated storylines of Blomkvist and Salander were so siloed for over half the book that it was rather like reading two different books at the same time. Had it been slightly more complex, I'd have struggled to keep abreast of both strands over such a prolonged part of the novel but, this just about kept me engaged until the threads were reunited. I'm sure I'll read the next two, not sure about the subsequent franchise ones though.

Book 16 - Karl Ove Knausgaard - Summer (didn't take a pic)

After stalling on this, I finished the 2nd half this week. This was the fourth of his seasonal series, and they were all great in their own way. I have yet to read anything non-autobiographical by Karl Ove but I'm sure I will at some point.

On to Lonesome Dove, which is lengthy one. It was at the free library at our local brewery so I grabbed it....

Finished the Ashley Kahn book on the making of Kind of Blue. Really enjoyed it. Added some good context on the time period, what led up to the recording, and gave me things to listen for when I put the record on. Proud of myself, 3 books in one month.

Had a chance to go by an actual independent book store today on my way home from taking my car into the shop. Couldn't really decide if I wanted to do another historical book or something more modern. This one kept speaking to me so I took a chance as my knowledge of the South and what went on is very deficient.

41tA80bsx4L._SY445_SX342_.jpg

Last edited:
I keep putting off posting an update until I can take a sec to snap pics of everything. Well, I had a minute today but all my books are packed up for a move. So let's just dump 'em:

Book 13: Dead Man’s Walk, by Larry McMurtry
The third book in the Lonesome Dove series, and the first prequel. Struggles to justify its existence beyond an attachment to two characters stiffly fated to become who we know them as, but too young to have become them yet.

Book 14: The Overstory, by Richard Powers
There's some powerful writing here, especially in the first sections establishing the ensemble; especially in the Hoel Chestnut section. But as Powers piles on the characters, they start resembling archetypes more than people, and exhaustion sets in. There's some redundancy in these archetypes, and the middle section drags as several converge upon the same story of environmental activism. Melodrama supersedes character development, and the purported focus on trees starts to burble into occasional mentions that trees are, in fact, quite old.

I must be a curmudgeon, because the overwhelming response to this book is a shifted perspective when it comes to our detachment from the natural world, and I simply did not relate to it. I love trees, I'm a lifelong outdoorsman (nothing extreme; I just like to sleep under stars regularly), and the back-page hypothesis that maybe the earth will survive us is nothing new to me. But while Powers initially establishes several characters' relationship with trees, the eventual focus on human melodrama - hamstrung by impersonal detachment as it is - leaves me feeling I read a book about people and trees in which the author included all their diligent research but, ultimately, was more interested in people while relying heavily on familiar tropes in depicting them. Well, save for the three or four characters he forgets to develop in the final two thirds of the story.
I felt I read something for people who haven't left the city and won't plan to.

Book 15: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain
Reread for the first time since high school in preparation for Percival Everett’s James, a retelling of Twain’s yarn from the perspective of Jim. Simply a crackerjack book; it reads so quickly and the stories are both propulsive and funny. Minus points for the appearance of Tom Sawyer in the last quarter or so; I just hate his schemes.

Book 16: James, by Percival Everett
Good book! The first section of this story is the one most interested in revising one’s impression of Huck Finn, and then the story blessedly moves in its own direction, following its intended themes. Code Switching is the phrase of the day for sure; Everett envisions a 19th century south where the slaves are well read and erudite in private, hiding behind a curtain of ignorance and “lawdy lawdy lawd” to avoid challenging and upsetting their captors.

Book 17: The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories, by Gene Wolfe
Been picking my way through this since last Thanksgiving; if you’ve had eyes on this thread you know I dig Wolfe a lot, but this is my first short story collection from him. The results are certainly mixed; the title story is excellent, but there are some thin-soup clunkers in the mix. Even the good stories are a little too indebted to The Island of Dr. Moreau.

Book 18: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, by Agatha Christie
My first Christie! This is one of the Poirot books, and has a reputation as Christie’s breakout work. I’m lukewarm on the murder mystery genre; I enjoy the setups and cast introductions, but the succession of conversations ironing out who was where and when really drag for me.

That said, I’d remarked on the same thing aloud to Mrs. Bull, mainly complaining that I never feel compelled to solve the mystery, and the solution always seems to come out of nowhere. “Though I kind of wonder if X did it, because that would be very intriguing,” and as soon as I turned back to the book, Poirot revealed X as the killer.

Book 19: Mao II, by Don Delillo
Senior year of high school I capped off a short run of silly short films with a self-serious short film about a director who was tired of making silly movies and wanted to make a capital-s serious movie. After showing it, a teacher told me to put that movie on a shelf and check it out like five years later. Well it’s been twenty, and I found it when cleaning up a hard drive; I could only handle a couple minutes of it, but I saw what that teacher saw: in fretting over what type of artist my art said I was, I’d created something so inwardly focused and self-concerned that I’d basically broadcast to the world (and eventually myself) all my fears while forgetting to entertain.

I don’t think Delillo is failing on the level 17 year-old me was, but he was certainly working in the same mode here.
Book 20: A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin
IMG_4877.jpeg
Consider this my ultimate acquiescence to George never finishing the series, as I’ve been holding out on a reread for the occasion of the publication of The Winds of Winter. I’ve felt fairly certain it isn’t coming, but that’s something I’ll expound upon as I run the series through Dance With Dragons.

But GoT itself: it’s hard to read this book on its own merits; it’s like watching Star Wars and viewing it as simply “Star Wars,” not “Star Wars: Episode 4: A New Hope.” This is a worldbuilding exercise and a setting-up of pieces on the board, and thus a little difficult to separate out from the payoffs and revelations later in the series.

A few years back I read GRRM’s outline/pitch for the series, and reading GoT with it in mind shows the possible simplicity of the originally-planned trilogy. It’s wild just how much runway is given for (not a spoiler if you’ve watched the show) RT+LS=JS in these pages; Ned Stark thinks back on his sister’s death often, and you can see how he’s holding back just enough truth.

In all, what I find most interesting about GoT and ASoIaF in general is that the story is about the aftermath of the previous battle for the Iron Throne; everyone is living with the consequences of a war from a dozen years ago. This is a medieval history nerd trying to thread the needle between entertainment and old-fashioned epic.

Book 21: Martyr!, by Kaveh Akhbar
IMG_4878.jpeg
There's quite a lot to enjoy here, plenty of depth to the prose and introspection which only a poet could really drill into. The structure is adventurous, moves quickly. Yet the conceit of the interludes, hypothetical conversations dreamt up by the author-insert protagonist between personages real and fictional, belies the singleness of the voices across the work; you get a lot of characters prevaricating in agreement with one another.

I found myself yearning for the exegesis of Akbar's exploration of death/martyrdom to the extent that I felt kind of frustrated by the whip-crack of plot development which occurs near the end; the book feels so unconcerned with story (which is fine) that the story which rears its head feels a bit unwelcome. I think there's 220 pages of great book hidden in this good 330 page book.

Book 22: Ripley's Game, by Patricia Highsmith
Book 3 of Highsmith’s Ripliad; I’ve been on a kick since Netflix’s exquisite Ripley limited (I hope that qualifier is soon inaccurate) series, as well as having caught Wim Wenders’s The American Friend on Criterion a month or two back. After a terminally ill art framer lightly snubs him at a social event, Ripley passes said framer’s name to a friend who’s looking for a hired killer. A lovely little friendship ensues; Strangers on a Train meets I Love You Man. Malkovich’s briefly-seen character from Ripley (‘24) factors in heavily here; seriously, Netflix: you have four more seasons to make. Don’t blow this.

Book 23: The Hearing Trumpet, by Leonora Carrington
IMG_4879.jpeg
A vibe, to be sure. Carrington, known best as a surrealist painter, apparently hung with Alejandro Jodorowsky, which inspires my logline: this book is like if The Holy Mountain was a novel about the Jim Broadbent section of Cloud Atlas. The story concerns a woman in her nineties who is sent to live in a surreal retirement community, where the residents live in buildings shaped like teapots and mushrooms. There’s a search for the Holy Grail, an apocalyptic ice age, and the discovery of a uranium mine under a kitchen.

Recently I’ve been at a place with surrealism where I’ve quit finding meaning; in the case of some artists like David Lynch I think the resulting feeling is more important than the meaning or intention, while a Jodorowsky gives me more an impression of someone deliberately throwing images at me without thought but rather an intention of thoughtfulness (if that makes sense; I dunno, I just saw Holy Mountain and found it to be silly nonsense (nonderogatory)). So I just went along for the ride here.

20. Long Live the Post Horn! By Vigdis Hjorth - Norwegian novel about a woman who's lost all interest in life and her unlikely journey reclaiming it via support for her local post office union. Solid and life-affirming.

21. Devotional Cinema by Nathaniel Dorsky - Short essay from an experimental filmmaker on his methods and style.

22. Stags Leap: Poems by Sharon Olds - This is a pulitzer winning collection, but I didn't connect with it much. The words are lovely, but Olds' style is EXTREMELY personal, and it felt a little TMI sometimes.

23. Given: Poems by Wendell Berry - Wendell is a local legend and I figured I hadn't read any of his in a while. This was a nice, obscure collection.

24. Every Man For Himself and God Against All by Werner Herzog - An audiobook I'd been listening to a while. As hilarious, fascinating, and bizarre as you'd expect an extensive Herzog memoir to be. I absolutely loved it. he man is insane. If you're a fan of his work even a little bit, you should check this out.

25. Averno by Louise Gluck - Another collection from one of my favorite poets. This one was dark, but really stirring.

26. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clark - This is a very large fantasy novel I've been reading for the last month and a half and just finished today. It's an alternate history where magic exists in England written in an Austenian pastiche. I liked it, though it's probably too long - it starts out really fun and becomes laborous maybe 2/3 in, and kind of dissatisfied with how many loose ends are left open. Though, I realize it's more about the journey with this one - it's extremely dense and probably has more parallels and commentary on English history than I picked up on. I respect it for that. Also most of the characters are assholes who have no clue what they're doing, in which it may be as true to life as can be. In any case, glad I read it, but will probably not pick up again. Loved her recent novel, Piranesi, a lot more, and look forward to whatever else she's doing.

I think next I'm finally (FINALLY) going to read the final two books in The Expanse series after however many years of reading these, and be done with it, and then go back to some old-fashioned regular length novels after that. Also currently enjoying David Grann's The Wager on audiobook.
27. The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder by David Grann - Very entertaining history read. Not as heatbreaking or vital as Killer's of the Flower Moon, but has plenty to say about power structure and the facade of government. Quick audiobook. Recommend.

28. Tiamat's Wrath (Expanse 8) by James S.A. Corey - One of the best in the series. A really great, action-filled fun time. One of the major characters gets probably the best send off in the saga. Really enjoyed.

29. Leviathan Falls (Expanse 9) by James S.A. Corey - One of the worst in the series. Too much time spent on superfluous side stuff and space fantasy word babble that by the time the climax happens, it somehow feels rushed and not enough. Will still miss this series all the same, though.

30. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout - This was magnificent. Painful and sad, but in a "that's just how life is sometimes" way, and not without some wry humor too. Every story felt like it had something really weighty and hopeful to say about life. Loved it. Need to read more of her.

Think I'm going to read Saunder's Lincoln in the Bardo next (might as well go in on the sad stuff) and some then some Emily Bronte to really welcome in Fall. Haven't decided what audiobook to listen to next. Maybe something history related.

27. The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder by David Grann - Very entertaining history read. Not as heatbreaking or vital as Killer's of the Flower Moon, but has plenty to say about power structure and the facade of government. Quick audiobook. Recommend.

28. Tiamat's Wrath (Expanse 8) by James S.A. Corey - One of the best in the series. A really great, action-filled fun time. One of the major characters gets probably the best send off in the saga. Really enjoyed.

29. Leviathan Falls (Expanse 9) by James S.A. Corey - One of the worst in the series. Too much time spent on superfluous side stuff and space fantasy word babble that by the time the climax happens, it somehow feels rushed and not enough. Will still miss this series all the same, though.

30. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout - This was magnificent. Painful and sad, but in a "that's just how life is sometimes" way, and not without some wry humor too. Every story felt like it had something really weighty and hopeful to say about life. Loved it. Need to read more of her.

Think I'm going to read Saunder's Lincoln in the Bardo next (might as well go in on the sad stuff) and some then some Emily Bronte to really welcome in Fall. Haven't decided what audiobook to listen to next. Maybe something history related.
Definitely agree with your takes on Tiamat's Wrath and Leviathan Falls

This thread seems more alive than the main reading one, so even though I'm not tracking my books read, one I read this year and loved is Cahokia Jazz by Francis Spufford. It's a detective noir set in an alternate 1920s where indigenous people revived Cahokia (an ancient city across the river from modern St. Louis), so there's a U.S. state that's majority indigenous, with large white and black populations as well. With Jim Crow in nearby states and the KKK on the rise, the main character, an indigenous man raised in another state, has to investigate a murder that threatens to blow up the city's balance of power. Lots of cool characters, rich worldbuilding, a good central mystery, and jazz.

Back