2024 Reading Challenge

Sad book September has come to a close.

31. Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders - Appreciated this on its radical form, and what it was going for (creating an emotional throughline in history), but found it more fascinating than affecting. The toilet humor didn't really mesh with the otherwise profound ruminations on death and grieving. Still interested in checking out other Saunders though.

32. Stoner by John Williams - Just finished this tonight and thought it was absolutely incredible. Probably a new all-timer for me. Stirring and haunting look at a normal guy's life that kind of sucks, but still full of meaning. Gorgeous, sparse prose. Teared up several times. Feel like I have to reevaluate my life after this one. Anybody here read it?

Had a couple horror novels planned next for the season, but idk, we'll see. I feel like I need to read something happy soon. lol
Lincoln in the Bardo is one of the best and most original novels from this century that I've read. I just picked up a hardcover copy over the weekend and am looking forward to a re-read, possibly with the audiobook that has a million notable names playing parts. I haven't read any of his short stories yet, but will definitely be doing so.

Read Stoner a couple years ago and enjoyed it but don't have any desire to return to it, and I don't think that's just because of how bleak it was. Its "underrated/underread" reputation has become a running joke on book twitter that it's swung back again: "oh we're doing Stoner discourse again." I do really want to read Butcher's Crossing, though.

Lincoln in the Bardo is one of the best and most original novels from this century that I've read. I just picked up a hardcover copy over the weekend and am looking forward to a re-read, possibly with the audiobook that has a million notable names playing parts. I haven't read any of his short stories yet, but will definitely be doing so.

I listened to the audiobook (quite a while ago), and with all the different voice actors doing the myriad roles it is definitely an experience.

Anyone here read Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow? Reading it now, a little less than halfway in…it’s not a bad read but it just is kinda….nothing? Is the rest of the book this uneventful?

It’s on my list and I know I’d love it but the audiobook’s voice actor was not good and I couldn’t imagine listening to such a long book with them. Hopefully soon I’ll find the time to sit done and read it

Yes!

I love both of these, but am a particularly strong supporter of Stoner, since it seems especially unheralded (maybe a metaphor for Professor Stoner?). I came across that one a few years back (I think Hamilton Leithauser of the Walkmen, of all people, recommended it), and then pushed it on so many people. Despite all that happens (and doesn't happen) to Stoner, I found it strangely uplifting?

Edit: found the Leithauser recommendation. It was more than a few years back, apparently:

Stoner by John Williams: My favorite book I read this year. He has a plain-Jane, perfectly mild style that is so satisfying. It’s like a great roasted chicken. It’s the life story of a guy named Stoner, who comes to work in the academic world, and is basically screwed over from all sides time and time again. Between his wife and the dean of students, he’s just not catching any breaks. There is less humor here than, say the Coen brothers’ A Serious Man, but the matter-of-fact storytelling hooked me like a fish. I didn’t know a thing about John Williams beforehand, but after reading Stoner, I picked up Augustus (which I also recommend) and Butcher’s Crossing (which I haven’t yet read).

Read Stoner a couple years ago and enjoyed it but don't have any desire to return to it, and I don't think that's just because of how bleak it was. Its "underrated/underread" reputation has become a running joke on book twitter that it's swung back again: "oh we're doing Stoner discourse again." I do really want to read Butcher's Crossing, though.
I agree that it's maybe not as bleak as it outwardly seems.

He has a mundane, not very pleasant life, but he gets by with a lot of small victories. He's a successful, admired professor. He experiences love despite his unhappy marriage. He holds strong and shows courage to people who would put him down. He has long term friends. I think it's as much about life's small victories as much as how it can easily slip through your fingers. And its difficulties in general: every character in this book is struggling against their circumstances in one way or another.

Anyway, will absolutely be reading both Augustus and Butcher's Crossing toom it's interesting how his 3 novels are all entirely different genres.

Back