6th Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2024)

Finally got around to binging Katla on Netflix. Dark and disturbing secrets of locals in a small Icelandic town — reeling with the effects of a prolonged volcanic eruption — bubble to the surface when a woman rises from the ashes. While more drama/mystery, there are some prominent cosmic horror underpinnings to this miniseries.

AAAABX1l38__YDMDkbv1K-aH4PpJqG3GOFNGlf5rc48okeZj9vjBw6xyhXEVJrFf4IaJqvZ1OO6SlSU236Ao5r8L8ZuQLW...jpg

13.) Creeping Death
💀

A miss of a slasher. Had some made for tv in the 90s vibes.
MV5BZDM3NzI4ZmItNWRmMC00YTljLTlmOGMtYWFiYzI0MDRmOTM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAzMDEwMjE0._V1_.jpg

Kicked today off with a double feature of some of my Takashi Shimizu blindspots. I have an embattled relationship with Shimizu, as he directed one of my favorite movies with Ju-On: The Grudge. However, I've struggled immensely with a lot of his other work. I knew these were going to be a rough go for me as "made for 3D" movies.

I started with Tormented, but realized 10 minutes in that this is a "sequel" to Shock Labyrinth in some ways. (Clips of Shock Labyrinth appear in-universe in a cinema in Tormented.) So I switched gears and restarted with Shock Labyrinth.

Shock Labyrinth
is a lot of nonsense where a group of teens grapples with the reappearance of their friend who went missing as a child when they all trespassed in a haunted house attraction and left her for dead. Just a disinteresting mess.

💀 🦴

MV5BMTgxNDIxMTQ1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzA3NjI2MDE@._V1_.jpg

Tormented is a bit of a step up in having some visually interesting sequences, but the story again is a nonsensical mess. The stuffed rabbit bag of Shock Labyrinth reappears prominently here and in full mascot form as young Daigo is haunted by nightmares after seeing SL in the theater with his older mute sister.

💀🦴

MV5BMTUzMjUzMzg0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzk3NjI2MDE@._V1_.jpg

I have a lot of shows coming up these next few weeks, and I realized how much of a predicament I created for myself with nearly half of my Hooptober challenge selections being foreign language films. Got to devote hours outside of work for all that, so I took the chance to get ahead of my list on day 1.

Followed up my morning of disappointing J-horror with a fun Argentinian homage to 80's gialli in Crystal Eyes. Fashion models and murderers, oh my! I found it super enjoyable despite some clear production constraints.

💀 💀 💀

Switched over to The Hands of Orlac — ostensibly the original criminal body transplant movie, adapted from a French novel for film by The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari's Robert Wiene. Not as iconic as Caligari, but still engaging. Better than the 1962 adaptation, Hands of a Stranger.

💀 💀 💀

Followed that up with The Doll of Satan — my first of four Italian offerings. This one was a major bore for an inheritance/extortion plot.

💀💀

Decided to get my natural disaster on with The Wave from Norway. Really solid, suspenseful flick without all the Roland Emmerich crap.

💀💀💀🦴

Lastly, landed on Bhoot (2006) from India. I love me a simple yet well-done haunted apartment unit storyline. This one is energetic, quippy, and pretty extra with its sound design and music.

💀💀💀

Busy watch day thanks to a steady flow of menial projects.

Kicked the morning off with a couple of Hooptober challenge selections before shifting into more watchlist items.

Student Bodies came out the year after Airplane! and you can really feel it. (I say this having recently seen Airplane! and Airplane II for the first time — and while I wasn't head over heels for either, I preferred the second.) This send-up of slasher movies sics a killer with a breathing problem on a high school's horny populace. I have to give credit where it's due, because this movie likely had a huge influence on later parody movies like the satirical Reefer Madness remake and the Scary Movie series. The comedy leans heavily into cringe, and despite some zingers, it's just not really my thing.

💀 💀 🦴

Night of the Cobra Woman is a Corman-produced movie about scientists studying snake venom who encounter a life-sucking snake woman. It plays things pretty straight, which is where it all kind of falls apart for me. So much of this feels like it wanted to be a dark misandrist comedy, and I wish it was.

💀💀

Party Line is a very 80's, sleazy little movie where people who call in to local adult group hotlines start turning up dead. The exploitative sleaze factor is hampered by much of the story being from the cops POV as they deal with petty drama alongside their investigation, which kinda puts a damper on the amusement factors. I enjoyed the babysitters' plot line though, and that was thankfully less exploitative than one might expect for the 80's.

💀💀🦴

Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 1.29.45 AM.png

The Ghost Station is a Korean horror movie written by Japanese filmmakers Koji Shiraishi (Noroi: The Curse) and Hiroshi Takahashi (Ringu, Ju-On: Origins). It's adapted from a short webtoon comic by Korean artist Horang, which serves as the opening scene of the movie. The rest of the movie is very much an ode to J-horror tropes. It's well done overall with empathetic characters and good production, together which help undercut some of the derivativeness. The station setting is used well, too.

💀💀💀

GhostStation-KeyArt-812x1200.jpg

Grave Torture is a 2012 short from Indonesian director Joko Anwar (Impetigore, Satan's Slaves remake). Watched this because I plan to dive into his brand new feature length rendition of this concept which landed on Netflix suddenly yesterday.

💀💀💀🦴

Closed the day out with Legions, an Argentinian offering. An asylum-bound shaman battles for the faith and soul of his middle-age daughter to protect his bloodline's power from falling into demonic hands. I was expecting more consistent fantasy and supernaturalism given the poster style, but this is a stylistic and tonal hodgepodge. First half is more One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest patients overtaking the asylum all just to get the shaman in position to spend the second half reconnecting with his estranged daughter. Oddly quirky and slightly comedic. It needed to choose a direction and go full hog. I'd have prefered less shallow quirk and more sincere family drama with shaman battles.

💀💀🦴

MV5BYTJhYTM5ZGMtMGNlMy00ZDgyLWE5YjgtNmI2YWE1ZWZlYzg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYwNDk@._V1_.jpg

Gonna skip a few rubbish watches in today's wrap-up to stick with what's worth a comment.

Hippopotamus is a lean and mean chamber piece with a woman who wakes in a barren room with no memories, wounded legs, and nothing to go off of but what her admitted abductor tells her — that she will only earn her freedom when she falls in love with him. It's well done and takes some interesting turns.

💀 💀 💀 🦴

MV5BODhlNjAwY2UtNmMwYy00Nzg1LThkZDMtMzhlNTg4OTY4ZTA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTgzNzEwNTE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg

It's not really clear what GoodBi is going for from its synopsis and poster graphic, so let me tell you this thing is by and large gastric horror. Anyone with IBS/celiac/Chron's, etc. is sure to find this an uncomfortable watch. It's super filthy. Some elements feel amateurish, but it makes some bold commitments that surprisingly had me uncomfortably glued to the screen.

:poop::poop::poop:

MV5BMzg5ODBjNWYtMTBiNC00ZGIxLWJiNTYtMzg4M2YyZGY2MWQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzAzODA1OTM@._V1_.jpg

I found The Dentist 2 slightly more enjoyable than the first. Can't really explain why, but it hits a more consistent stride.

💀💀💀

tATCKaihibZEqbmlYoVHwRAqEz8.jpg

Finally made time for Misery since we got free tickets to a local stage production this weekend. So fricking good.

💀💀💀💀

s-l1200.jpg

As teased in yesterday's round-up, I decided to get in early on Joko Anwar's surprise Netflix release of Grave Torture. It's a heavily religious horror that poses some interesting questions about hellish consequences and motivations for faith. Great performances. One especially top-tier banger of a set-piece. Plenty for fans of the hellish visions of As Above, So Below and themes like the terrifying exploitation of forgiveness and confidentiality in Absolution (1978).

💀💀💀💀

1009213-grave-torture-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

Back