Audio Hardware Deals: Speakers, Headphones, Turntables, Etc.

Why would you need another cleaner for
“Dirtier” records? Unless you are remediating mold, what benefit is there to using a squeaky clean or VPI before the HG? Is it about preserving water or filters or supplies or is there a concern that excess gunk might mess up the machine?

I think that there’s a feeling that for anything a little more “baked on” that the lack of a physical scrub with a detergent, like the brush on a vacuum cleaner, means that some of it could be left behind. I did see that with just the auto clean and dry on some of the older Japanese records I’ve bought. A clean cycle or two before that auto cycle does the job just fine for me though without needing to hold onto a secondary method.

Why would you need another cleaner for
“Dirtier” records? Unless you are remediating mold, what benefit is there to using a squeaky clean or VPI before the HG? Is it about preserving water or filters or supplies or is there a concern that excess gunk might mess up the machine?
Older records where years of dust, mold, nicotine, etc... reside; yeah ultrasonic is not up for the job.
It's more of a Polish and shine/rinse.
A good record brush and soap can do a lot. Doesn't have to be expensive either.

In my mind, it's kind of like hand washing a car vs driving it through the spray car wash machine.
Better results with hand wash application.

Older records where years of dust, mold, nicotine, etc... reside; yeah ultrasonic is not up for the job.
It's more of a Polish and shine/rinse.
A good record brush and soap can do a lot. Doesn't have to be expensive either.

In my mind, it's kind of like hand washing a car vs driving it through the spray car wash machine.
Better results with hand wash application.
I’ve also acquired moldy records that required a brush and vacuum cleaning before getting good results in the ultrasonic.

I second this @AnthonyI—no need for drying rack. Small footprint. Light weight, set and forget. The exact opposite of my VPI vacuum
Cleaner
+1 while my VPI is back the states and my guru is here in Japan, the thing rules....and while I can see the 'benefit' of using the VPI and scrubbing records before the ultrasonic, the diminishing returns are real unless you're way, uh, inclined for absolutely cleanliness....

Back