Back In The Day: The Billboard Modern Rock Charts From 35 Years Ago

Love Shack AND Sowing The Seeds Of Love. Two huge songs from the era.
Honestly, I knew “Love Shack” and “Roam” were huge at the time. My mom had the tape and wore it out but I was surprised that “Love Shack” was the third single and didn’t realize that the title track and “Channel Z” were also quite popular as well. 4 hit songs off a single album was a surprise to me.

Modern Rock Tracks for Week Ending 09/02/1989
View attachment 212676
No. 1 Song
Hoodoo Gurus - “Come Anytime”

Tracks that fell out of the top 30
Stan Ridgway - “Calling Out To Carol”
Bodeans - “You Don’t Get Much”
Public Image Ltd. - “Disappointed”
Wire - “In Vivo”
U2 - “Everlasting Love”
Howard Jones - “The Prisoner”
Tin Machine - “Heaven’s In Here”

New Additions
The B-52’s - “Love Shack”

Max Q - “Way Of The World”

Big Audio Dynamite - “James Brown”

Tears For Fears - “Sowing The Seeds Of Love”

RIP Michael Hutchence, but that Max Q track is one of the most cringe things I've ever heard

Honestly, I knew “Love Shack” and “Roam” were huge at the time. My mom had the tape and wore it out but I was surprised that “Love Shack” was the third single and didn’t realize that the title track and “Channel Z” were also quite popular as well. 4 hit songs off a single album was a surprise to me.
"Deadbeat Club" should be on here too. It had a video and probably my favorite song on that album.

Modern Rock Tracks for Week Ending 09/07/1989
IMG_8952.jpeg
No. 1 Song
Hoodoo Gurus - “Come Anytime”

Tracks that fell out of the top 30
The B-52’s - “Channel Z”
Love and Rockets - “Rock and Roll Babylon”

New Additions
Public Image Ltd. - “Happy”

Toad The Wet Sprocket - “One Little Girl”

Last edited:
This was a good week . Was also the week I started my final year of my undergrad degree. Loved that Hoodoos song
I was just getting started in Mrs. Brunskill’s 2nd grade class at Lincoln Elementary School. I woulda been jamming out to whatever music my mom was listening at the time which, review the Adult Contemporary charts; would have been lots of Cher’s “If I Could Turn Back Time” and Madonna’s “Cherish”.

Back