Back In The Day: The Billboard Modern Rock Charts From 35 Years Ago

just checked Wikipedia, they are an American Rock band founded in Cleveland in 1975 they are listed as “Avant-Garage” they rose from the ashes of Rocket From The Tombs. Apparently some went on to form The Dead Boys while Lead Guitarist, Dave Thomas formed Pere Ubu.

Given that background I bet @Yer Ol' Uncle D has a live recording he made of the band that we’ll hopefully share with us later this evening.

Damn, I wish I could fulfill this request. I love Pere Ubu, but it was never in the cards that we crossed paths. Have some live shows but none that I taped. Rocket From The Tombs is a blast too.

Loving the production budget on the Pere Ubu video.

Based on the Pere Ubu record label support exchange rate, that video had a budget of 3 million.

A select few of you may remember a music show that only lasted two seasons. It debuted on NBC as Sunday Night for the first season and was renamed Michelob Presents Night Music for its second and final round.

This was truly a spectacular show which had a house band led by David Sanborn and Jools Holland bringing all these incredibly diverse artists together for individual performances and beautiful cross-genre musical collisions. I've got hours and hours recorded on VHS somewhere in the bowels of the music bunker.

Here's the Wiki for the show. Scroll to the bottom and look at each episode's performers. Top shelf...

Here are a couple clips when Pere Ubu appeared in support of Cloudland.
I love the juxtaposition of little Debbie Harry singing backup while hulking David Thomas jerks and jams...

One from a favorite Pere Ubu record - Ray Gun Suitcase...

Modern Rock Tracks for Week Ending 06/24/1989
IMG_4996.jpeg
No. 1 Song
Love and Rockets - “So Alive”

Tracks that fell out of the top 30
Simple Minds - “This Is Your Land”
Edelweiss - “Bring Me The Edelweiss”
Indigo Girls - “Closer To Fine”
Caterwaul - “The Sheep’s A Wolf”

New Additions
Pixie - “Here Comes Your Man”

Simple Minds - “Take A Step Back”