Canadaland shipping shenanigans (and other conversations too, eh?)

Here are some highlights from my week in Montreal (first time visit for both me and my girlfriend)

We split our six nights between two hotels, Humaniti (a little corporate feeling but really nice room and pool) and Hotel William Grey (super hip but nice w amazing rooftop bars and a Cafe Olimpico in the lobby)

Dining highlights - Le Vin Papilon, Oncle Lee, Elena, Park (amazing sushi but $$$$) and Nora Gray. I would recommend any and all of these restaurants for a nice dinner, Elena and Oncle Lee are a bit more casual but still had great food.

Bar highlights - Atwater Cocktail Club and Bar Henrietta (we went twice) were easily our favorites. Bisou Bisou was pretty cool but way too brightly lit, and Cold Room was just fine and seemed to be trying a bit too hard. We also really liked grabbing drinks at Terrasse William Gray with their amazing views but we were able to walk right in as guests of the hotel, not sure it's worth a wait otherwise.

Daytime activities, etc - we really enjoyed hiking Mont Royal, exploring the hip Mile End neighborhood, visiting the magnificent Notre Dame Basilica, slurping oysters at Marche Jean-Talon, and cannot recommend enough the Montreal Botanical Garden. It was so beautiful! We also took a happy hour cruise on the St Lawrence River which was a great introduction to the city.

We also had a great spa day at Bota Bota spa, the water circuit was so relaxing and the environment couldn't be any better. Booking the water circuit not only gives you access to the saunas, steam rooms, hot tubs on the boat but also to the garden with their nice pool for four hours. All with views of downtown Montreal! Make sure and book in advance.

We did squeeze in some Euro and Copa America viewing at bars near our hotel, and it was really cool to be there to watch Canada beat Venezuela in the semis.

All in all we had a fantastic trip, despite the fact that I didn't get to try smoked meat, poutine, or go record shopping.
Thank you, please remember to leave us a good Yelp review if you enjoyed your stay. We are a small country and need money to buy new snowshoes and bells for our mooses

Hey Canadian friends, when you order via USPS from the states does it get transferred over to Canada Post and then you aren’t hit by additional customs/carrier fees?

I figure FedEx or UPS will definitely have fees related to imports but wondering if USPS is “safe”.

Hey Canadian friends, when you order via USPS from the states does it get transferred over to Canada Post and then you aren’t hit by additional customs/carrier fees?

I figure FedEx or UPS will definitely have fees related to imports but wondering if USPS is “safe”.
Yes, generally speaking that is correct. If it starts USPS, it should get handed over to Canada Post and not have any customs fees.

Not sure what triggers big couriers to apply brokerage fees. When I order stuff from RecordCity.JP, it is shipped via FedEx and I never have been hit with any fees. I think it is the requirement for a delivery signature that might cause it

Generally speaking, yes. You *might* get dinged if it's over $100, but if you do it'll be for a fraction of what those other fucks would charge.

Back