Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

Wonder how folks that hate Father John Misty but enjoy Sturgill will feel about Johnny Blue Skies?
On my third pass of the new album. There’s no reason beyond “only making five records” that this couldn’t have been a Sturgill album. It’s slick but it’s still him. He wails. He talks about the struggles of being famous and being a dad and just wanting to be a normal guy. It’s got an 80s Waylon (ironically Milsap, too) vibe.

Great article. What an interesting guy he is whatever he chooses to call himself.

Great article. What an interesting guy he is whatever he chooses to call himself.

Man seeing that first picture of him smiling in the doorway in France made me realize what’s really different about this new album, he sounds happy.

This would be amazing by I ain't got that kind of money.

1721143698775.png

OUR REGISTRATION INCLUDES:​

• Four days and nights at the Andaz Hotel in the heart of Condesa
  • Registration will include tickets to Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit with Special Guest Centro-Matic at Auditorio Lunario inside the world renowned Auditorio Nacional in Mexico City
  • Private Solo Jason Isbell concert at Foro Indie Rocks!
  • An exclusive Q&A with Jason
  • Autograph Session – Get up close and personal with Jason and the 400 Unit and get a limited-edition autographed Súper Ocho event poster designed by Jose Garcia / Zoca Studio.
  • Group photo with Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
  • Mexican Street Food Tour – Embark on a culinary adventure through the bustling streets of Mexico City, sampling a diverse array of authentic street food from tacos to tamales, while discovering the rich flavors of Mexican cuisine.
  • Downtown Mexico City Walking Tour – Explore the historic heart of Mexico City on a guided walking tour, visiting iconic landmarks, ancient ruins, and vibrant markets, while uncovering the city’s rich cultural and architectural heritage.
  • Lucha Libre – Experience the electrifying world of Mexican wrestling, where masked wrestlers perform high-flying maneuvers and dramatic matches in a thrilling, action-packed spectacle.
  • Dinners at Mexico City’s finest restaurants including Cantina La No. 20 in Reforma and Carmela DeMorada.
  • Ticket voucher to the world-famous Museo Nacional de Antropología to enjoy at your leisure (transportation not included).
  • We will also provide a short list of suggested restaurants, food stands, museums and shops in the area surrounding our hotel so guests can make the most of their experience in CDMX.

New Gillian Welch album out at the end of August!!

$37.98, yikes.

$37.98, yikes.
+$12 shipping. double yikes

I got a refund on that after chatting with him a bit about it. It's not even listed on Bandcamp anymore, and don't see any in Discogs.
Yeah he sent an apology note in like 2013 right before he went to jail with some download links and said he spent all the vinyl money on other things. He was obviously in a bad spot back then and I’m happy to see him rehabilitated and doing good things but I can’t bring myself to preorder anything from the guy again

Yeah he sent an apology note in like 2013 right before he went to jail with some download links and said he spent all the vinyl money on other things. He was obviously in a bad spot back then and I’m happy to see him rehabilitated and doing good things but I can’t bring myself to preorder anything from the guy again
Same. I'll wait and listen and see the actual release in the wild.

I guess I'll put this here...
I was reading Bill Schnee's book, Chairman at the Board, and he mentioned an album Mark Knopfler made in 1990 with a project called Notting Hillbillies.
I steamed the album Missing...Presumed Having a Good Time and liked it quite a bit.
Here's track one

@MyWifeHatesTrain - do you know of this?

It rings a bell, I’ll give it a listen.

Back