Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

I guess that answers the “what’s coming from Isbell on Wednesday” question. Another live one from the mother church - the first release is King of Oklahoma, and it’s a great rendition. Track is a little over-engineered for me, but the performance is just dynamite, like his live performances usually are.

Kind of a shot in the dark request. Looking for some good, like, bluegrass/country gospel or soul gospel albums, or really just any old obscure gospel albums. There wasn’t a gospel thread so thought this might be the best place to ask. This list is kinda all over the place but here are some examples of some of my favorites below.

Doc Watson - On Praying Ground
The Staple Singers - Faith & Grace
The Como Mamas - Move Up Stairs
The Branchettes - Stay Prayed Up (This one is only on bandcamp I believe)
Mavis Staples - Have A Little Faith
Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Gospel Train
Bob Dylan - Trouble No More: The Bootleg Series Vol 13
San Fransisco Christian Center - The Sounds of The San Fransisco Christian Center
Pastor Champion - I Just Want To Be A Good Man
Pastor T. L. Barret and the Youth for Christ Choir - Like A Ship (Without A Sail)
Supreme Jubilees - It’ll All Be Over
Iris Dement - Lifeline
Staple Jr Singers - When Do We Get Paid
The Louvin Brothers - Satan is Real
Loretta Lynn - Hymns
Morris Belknap - Jesus Saves

Kind of a shot in the dark request. Looking for some good, like, bluegrass/country gospel or soul gospel albums, or really just any old obscure gospel albums. There wasn’t a gospel thread so thought this might be the best place to ask. This list is kinda all over the place but here are some examples of some of my favorites below.

San Fransisco Christian Center - The Sounds of The San Fransisco Christian Center
Pastor T. L. Barret and the Youth for Christ Choir - Like A Ship (Without A Sail)
Iris Dement - Lifeline
Loretta Lynn - Hymns
I don’t have a suggestion, but this thread feels like your best bet.

Iris Dement - Lifeline
Loretta Lynn - Hymns
Harlem Gospel Travelers
Naomi Shelton and the Gospel Queens
The Dixie Hummingbirds
This comp:

Iris Dement - Lifeline
Loretta Lynn - Hymns
Look into Dale Ann Bradley. Nothing of hers is on vinyl but she has either straight up gospel bluegrass albums or gospel infused bluegrass albums. I love this song especially.

From “Songs of Praise and Glory”

I’d recommend these three:
Angel Band by Emmylou Harris (1987).
https://www.discogs.com/release/5062817-Emmylou-Harris-Angel-Band1723385303131.png
The Gospel by The Local Honeys (2020).
https://www.discogs.com/release/14965912-The-Local-Honeys-The-Gospel1723385263550.png

Last edited:
Look into Dale Ann Bradley. Nothing of hers is on vinyl but she has either straight up gospel bluegrass albums or gospel infused bluegrass albums. I love this song especially.

From “Songs of Praise and Glory”

I’d recommend these three:
Angel Band by Emmylou Harris (1987).
https://www.discogs.com/release/5062817-Emmylou-Harris-Angel-BandView attachment 210960
The Gospel by The Local Honeys (2020).
https://www.discogs.com/release/14965912-The-Local-Honeys-The-GospelView attachment 210959

I can’t believe I left out Local Honeys.

Thanks for all the responses! Haven’t gotten a chance to check them all yet, but so far I’m really loving the Harlem Gospel Travelers and the one by The Local Honeys. I also stumbled up on these lists from Bandcamp I’ve been working my way through.

Back